Vinepair article mentions straightbourbon.com

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I say, I'm not going to help add to the hype of BT/Weller/Pappy.

But I have to ask myself, why do they even bother making mash bill #1 at all.  They could discontinue it.  Make the wheat mash bill all year long.  Buying Weller/Pappy would be like buying Knob Creek for us, single barrels too. 

Edited by PaulO

26 minutes ago, PaulO said:

But I have to ask myself, why do they even bother making mash bill #1 at all.  They could discontinue it.  Make the wheat mash bill all year long.  Buying Weller/Pappy would be like buying Knob Creek for us, single barrels too. 

Huh?  I assume you jest right?  Because MB #1 is their best overall product... GTS, BT, CEHT et al..

23 hours ago, Kepler said:

Huh?  I assume you jest right?  Because MB #1 is their best overall product... GTS, BT, CEHT et al..

I jest in that what I say would never happen.

But from my perspective, I don't care at all about the mash bill # 1 brands.  I've tried those and others, except GTS.  Missed the boat on that one when it sat on shelves years ago.  I figured it is aged so long the barrel influence takes over, and they only pick the honey barrels for the brand.

• I like it 1

^^^ It's an interesting topic, ranking a distillery's different mashbills.  I guess in the big scheme of things relatively speaking, BT's wheated bourbon mashbill is their "best," because among wheat bourbon mashbills it's considered the top one out there (and I'd agree).  I don't think it's even close really is it? 

When I rated BT rye based bourbon mashbill #1 their best, I was meaning their most versatile and the one that butters their bread.  BT #1 is the basis for a lot of very good products at various age statements and none of them are sub par. 

For me I guess I would rank them this way

1. BT wheated bourbon

2. BT bourbon MB #1

3. BT bourbon MB #2

4. BT straight rye CEHT

5. BT straight rye low-rye

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

If you start to compare similar age and proof products from other legacy distillers, I'd argue they are close in quality.  It comes down to individual palate preference for house styles.  

Interesting that while SB.Com is mentioned, the SB.Com Pappy 23 PS isn’t.  So, I thought I’d mention it here.  😁

6C402058-B035-47D7-9AE8-CDC986797C4F.jpeg

• I like it 6

Can anyone find a link to the original thread where Julian came in here trying to offload barrels.  Pretty funny.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Interesting that while SB.Com is mentioned, the SB.Com Pappy 23 PS isn’t.  So, I thought I’d mention it here.  😁

6C402058-B035-47D7-9AE8-CDC986797C4F.jpeg

Show off! 😉

1 hour ago, Kjbarth said:

Show off! 😉

Heehee!  I thought about that, but it had to be said!  😁

• I like it 2

With regards to smokinjoes post, another quasi Pappy barrel pick was also missed. Considering the circumstances surrounding it, I can understand how this one wasn’t noticed.

Once upon a time, a store visited BT to do a Weller 12 pick. A couple of Julians Pappy barrels were mistakenly rolled out with the Weller barrels to be tasted. Of course the store picked the Pappy barrels. I’m not sure if this was by being observant, dumb luck, or if those barrels tasted better. I’ve heard a couple of different versions of the story. I also heard that when Julian found out about the mixup, he was a little “miffed”, and attempted to buy the barrels/bottles back. Again, not quite sure of the validity of this. All I can say for certain is that the Pappy-Weller 12 was bottled, and that it was quite good. 😋 There’s a little more to this story, but I won’t get into that. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

With regards to smokinjoes post, another quasi Pappy barrel pick was also missed. Considering the circumstances surrounding it, I can understand how this one wasn’t noticed.

Once upon a time, a store visited BT to do a Weller 12 pick. A couple of Julians Pappy barrels were mistakenly rolled out with the Weller barrels to be tasted. Of course the store picked the Pappy barrels. I’m not sure if this was by being observant, dumb luck, or if those barrels tasted better. I’ve heard a couple of different versions of the story. I also heard that when Julian found out about the mixup, he was a little “miffed”, and attempted to buy the barrels/bottles back. Again, not quite sure of the validity of this. All I can say for certain is that the Pappy-Weller 12 was bottled, and that it was quite good. 😋 There’s a little more to this story, but I won’t get into that. 😉

Biba! Joe

Good ole days.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Joe, wasn't this also back in the days before the added neck tag or sticker.  As in, looks just like a regular contemporary bottle, nothing on the outside to distinguish.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Joe, wasn't this also back in the days before the added neck tag or sticker.  As in, looks just like a regular contemporary bottle, nothing on the outside to distinguish.

IIRC, this was bottled in 2007 or 2008, and it has a gold sticker on it. I went to take a look see, and decided to have a pour. 

I screwed up once, so I normally try to avoid mentioning a store by name, or showing pictures of bottles that have labels or stickers with a stores name on it.  The store that did this pick has changed a lot over the years, and not for the better. So, what the heck. Below is a pic of the Pappy/Weller 12. There’s a chance this might jog the memory of a couple of other members here. 🤔

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

Right around that time, I happened to visit Chicago, and shop at a different local chain store.  I was thrilled to pick up multiple W12s.  This was before that span of time we had it in Indiana.  Anyway, this stuff tasted like a really good batch of ORVW.  Several years later we did get W12 here.  I was surprised.  There was a substantial difference.  I never again tasted a W12 that was sweet, thick, complicated like the original ones I got in Chicago (with the embossed wheat on the bottle).  I have one saved.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.