What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened a GBS pick of KC 120 from 2015, while finally relaxing after 4 days of prepping, hosting, and cleaning up Thanksgiving with family and friends.  Lots of work, but so very worth it.  We are Thankful and Blessed.  🙏 

The Knob is spot on delicious, right now.  Particularly, the never ending finish.  

50F50F7B-DFFF-48E0-AD15-1847AE4497BE.jpeg

• I like it 11

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Happy Turkey day. Wife made a pecan pie with some Smooth Ambler I had and a apple cake with some over proofed Hampden from Stolen.  

ABA9788E-6ACB-471B-9A92-E3283B0747DB.jpeg

244C1DBD-D66F-41AF-9B77-8B0569FCB1A7.jpeg

Those pies look awesome!  

One of the local pie shops makes a my Kentucky Pie which is pecans, chocolate and bourbon.

Bought and am drinking these today.  

Noticed that the ETBIB had a new metal twist cap vs. plastic previously seen.  Sure enough it’s a Sazerac bottling with the distiller as DS KY-354 Brown Forman and the bottled Ds KY-12 Barton.  In my crazy world Sazerac switched to a metal twist cap so people would confuse it with OF Sig and 86 proof.  I bought the OF 86 proof as it had some good tasting notes in a recent VBT.   It’s a great example of the BF bannana note nose.  Still tastes a bit young to me which I get with all the Old Forester products outside whiskey row.

1E06EB81-4B90-462D-8E46-80EB4A5D1222.jpeg

BA38FFBA-3B92-448D-A9B2-82ABFA1112E4.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 3

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Opened my Weller SB and am having a pour. 😋

Biba! Joe

And......?! 🤪  That's the only one of the lineup I haven't tried yet.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Same here Tim. I’ve had the others, but this is my first go around with the SB. It’s pretty good. Different for sure. It’s pretty sweet on entry. Mid palate brings on an earthy almost vegetal flavor, and this is where the heat shows up. To me, the finish is where this one shines. A hint of spice pops up along with a  “candied” cinnamon/red hot flavor. The heat is still there, and it sticks round for quite a while. 

To be honest, this one surprised me a bit. I’ve had Weller’s in many different variations over the years. (I am the Weller whore ya’ know.😉) In the past, I’ve tasted hints of cinnamon or spice in a couple of bottlings. Not like this though. This  one showed sweetness, and spice in a way that I’ve never experienced before in a wheater. I reckon I’m gonna have to spend more time with this to try and get a better handle on it. 

Also, and FWIW, I was extremely lucky in getting this Weller SB. I don’t foresee myself being so lucky again. This being a single barrel, it would’ve been nice to do a sbs with another single barrel. 😐

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.bc04f8aedf0e9f408fb5c3aa800c0a86.jpeg

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Think that is being remedied shortly . . . :)

• I like it 2

Drinking a bit of 4R YL BP (all 10 recipes 100ml in a 1L bottle).  True to 4R I was not all that impressed initially, but as we passed the halfway point its become pretty tasty.  

Enjoyed one hell of a Friday night with @0895 and his wife.  No idea why neither of us took pictures, but it was a fun time with a ton of fantastic bourbon.  Followed up with some messaging back and forth for late night details that were . . . shall we say forgotten.  Great times.  Until Sat at 7am when the wife left me with both kiddos!

Highlights for me were Promise of Hope (my first taste, and it did not disappoint), PVW23 (still so great), and AY50th.  Also, it came later in the night so I would like to revisit, but I "recall" being very impressed by the EHT Warehouse C.  Luckily samples of most were procured for future and more focused tasting.

No benchmark this time around thankfully. :)  

• I like it 6

On 11/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, smokinjoe said:

Opened a GBS pick of KC 120 from 2015, while finally relaxing after 4 days of prepping, hosting, and cleaning up Thanksgiving with family and friends.  Lots of work, but so very worth it.  We are Thankful and Blessed.  🙏 

The Knob is spot on delicious, right now.  Particularly, the never ending finish.  

50F50F7B-DFFF-48E0-AD15-1847AE4497BE.jpeg

G.O.A.T. approved?

A couple of pours of MM101 followed by a pour of Woodinville, followed by another smaller pour of Woodinville because it was pretty good and held up to the 101 proof well even though only 90 proof. 

Back to work tomorrow after 9 days off.  I hate to think about I will be walking into.  

I have made it through two straight nights of back-to-back Hallmark Christmas movies.  Thank you bourbon!  

• I like it 4

29 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have made it through two straight nights of back-to-back Hallmark Christmas movies.  Thank you bourbon!  

I don't know if I have ever read something more relatable. All hail, bourbon!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yes Dear. :unsure:  Right there with you mbroo. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

So……………..🙄

Long story short, I opened my Weller CYPB and had a pour.😀 Heard from a friend I hadn’t been in touch with for a while, so  I opened my ps Weller FP and had a pour of that too. 😀

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.79c480aa07392128f3787e2f35f6d35a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69db77c878a10d39889453a7d96bc4df.jpeg

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Drinking a bit of 4R YL BP (all 10 recipes 100ml in a 1L bottle).  True to 4R I was not all that impressed initially, but as we passed the halfway point its become pretty tasty.  

Enjoyed one hell of a Friday night with @0895 and his wife.  No idea why neither of us took pictures, but it was a fun time with a ton of fantastic bourbon.  Followed up with some messaging back and forth for late night details that were . . . shall we say forgotten.  Great times.  Until Sat at 7am when the wife left me with both kiddos!

Highlights for me were Promise of Hope (my first taste, and it did not disappoint), PVW23 (still so great), and AY50th.  Also, it came later in the night so I would like to revisit, but I "recall" being very impressed by the EHT Warehouse C.  Luckily samples of most were procured for future and more focused tasting.

No benchmark this time around thankfully. :)  

apparently I took one at some point. 😎

D27AB65C-E78D-4D79-A3F6-2437C052AA9A.jpeg

• I like it 10

I had a smallish pour of EW 1783 while grilling some pork tenderloins before dinner.

Here in a moment I think I'll be pouring some Dickel 8-year or a WTRR. Looking for a little oak tonight.

• I like it 1

After having some of the “special” Weller’s the last couple of nights, I decided to have a couple of pours of Weller SR this evening. I couldn’t help but be reminded of something  @Vosgar used to say. “Same as it ever was.”  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.