What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A hefty pour of Blanton’s while at a hot springs resort in Alaska for vacation   It is a perfect time of the year to be here at the resort. 

E0BB4839-B385-4C1E-85BF-465795A3BA5B.jpeg

• I like it 10

21 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

A hefty pour of Blanton’s while at a hot springs resort in Alaska for vacation   It is a perfect time of the year to be here at the resort. 

E0BB4839-B385-4C1E-85BF-465795A3BA5B.jpeg

Tell me that's not spilled bourbon around your glass.  "Oh the humanity."

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Tell me that's not spilled bourbon around your glass.  "Oh the humanity."

It actually is. The pourer (not me) poured it too fast and had a little splash out.  She knew nothing about what it was except for “it has a horse on top”.

3 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

It actually is. The pourer (not me) poured it too fast and had a little splash out.  She knew nothing about what it was except for “it has a horse on top”.

Did she give you the stink eye for licking the bar top?

• I like it 5

Just now, lemonman said:

Did she give you the stink eye for licking the bar top?

Nope. I would never do that at a public bar for Blanton’s, but at home that is a different story.   I was just surprised to see a bottle of Blanton’s here in the middle of nowhere. 

In East Tennessee on a biz trip, and my hotel bottle for tonight is the 4R Small Batch Select.  Delicious.  Funny, my first bottle a couple years ago didn’t light my fire, but this is the 3rd since, and these have all been really good.  The great thing about this hotel (actually lots of great things about it…one of my favorite hotels anywhere) is that there is a well appointed liquor store a block away.  So, happy to grab the Nikka From the Barrel along with it.  😋

D36D870F-3DAE-4B92-85D8-B750ED4B5F28.jpeg

• I like it 12

Cracked this RR pick. Warehouse K floor 4. Checked my open bottle stash and no Ks currently. 

The nose is gentle and fruity (wife got apricot) with minimal heat. I also get a bit of artificial candy shell that I’ve always associated with dusty bourbon. The palate is an orange fruit explosion with apricot, pear, baked apples and a bit of brown sugar sweetness. Surprisingly soft and does not at all feel like a 110 proof pour. The finish is on the short side with lots of brown sugar. The heat then makes itself known with a nice warming hug. 

One thing I love about WT is that they seem to rotate the Warehouses for SiB picks every year which allows for a wonderfully diverse RRSiB portfolio. 

96E8BDA2-81AF-4616-874F-6F5924085C1C.jpeg

• I like it 8

After taking 9 hrs to complete a job around the house that should have taken 1 hr, I’m rewarding myself with a nice pour of RR13. 🥃

0CDAF9D5-7661-4D41-9FFE-D45AA40BB12D.thumb.jpeg.59721ca68aa3a46f8536b75b03e79c79.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

In East Tennessee on a biz trip, and my hotel bottle for tonight is the 4R Small Batch Select.  Delicious.  Funny, my first bottle a couple years ago didn’t light my fire, but this is the 3rd since, and these have all been really good.  The great thing about this hotel (actually lots of great things about it…one of my favorite hotels anywhere) is that there is a well appointed liquor store a block away.  So, happy to grab the Nikka From the Barrel along with it.  😋

I used to have a rocks glass like that but I left it in the last hotel I stayed in.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I used to have a rocks glass like that but I left it in the last hotel I stayed in.

They’re incredibly durable.  I dropped mine on the tile floor, and not a scratch!  But, I probably won’t pocket this one on the way out tomorrow…😁

• I like it 3

Drinking a beer at the hotel bar, waiting for my burger, and here sits this bottle staring at me.  What?  I look like I need this?!?!  😂. $12.  Generally, not a toasted barrel fan, as I find them rather artificial sweetener/saccharine like.  This is much better than most, however.  The sweetness is lightly marshmallow-y, not overdone, and certainly not artificial tasting.  

9DE9E45C-C167-44D8-B0DC-02DE806F4293.jpeg

62E4BF84-CE19-4FC3-8ECC-0C3D0EDCC3B0.jpeg

• I like it 6

Sipping a little New Riff BiB, while the tubes heat up, and I view the New World Pygmies on youtube.

Not too shabby.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

One more of the many reasons why we are brothers. My first bottle of this was meh and ever since then I've absolutely loved it.

• I like it 1

Most of you know that I develop a major sweet tooth at Christmas which prompts me to turn to the wheaters this time of year.

I fortunately have a deep bunker of the RY10yr's and I brought one up at Thanksgiving. I am putting a MAJOR hurting on this bottle.

• I like it 3

22 minutes ago, flahute said:

One more of the many reasons why we are brothers. My first bottle of this was meh and ever since then I've absolutely loved it.

Not sure if I can join the club.  when 4 roses 1st came back on the shelves I liked it okay but not excited like other people.  Then I bought Mariage 1st ed 2008? and turned completely around, but mariage is just not fair.

• I like it 1

Moved on to the second store pick. This one comes in about 9.8 years and if I recall correctly was 121 pf so pretty much cask strength. 

I’ll call this one classic Beam. Caramel, vanilla and a slight nuttiness on the nose and palate. The proof is quite evident but not exactly harsh/rough like I find Bookers. Finish medium to long with dark sugars and a bit of oak. 

Similar to the younger ECSmB I enjoy these 9 yr KC picks. They are bright, sweet and very approachable. Do I miss that oak backbone?Absolutely, but it’s an entirely different style. However, the one thing that I do find lacking vs the older bottles is the viscosity or oily ness that I feel like only comes with age.

B4A6F110-58C6-4606-B4B1-7823AF1B77ED.jpeg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

After taking 9 hrs to complete a job around the house that should have taken 1 hr, I’m rewarding myself with a nice pour of RR13. 🥃

0CDAF9D5-7661-4D41-9FFE-D45AA40BB12D.thumb.jpeg.59721ca68aa3a46f8536b75b03e79c79.jpeg

Haha we’ve all been there.  Somehow changing out the toilet handle, and bathroom fan ended up requiring four trips to Home Depot.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I love it!

🤣

Probably one of the better expressions of the brand extension IMO…

Im mostly working on eliminating them from my shelf now.

@Clueby is probably getting the rest of the full proof as a super secret gift, but he doesn’t know it yet 🤫 🤫🤫

45B840D7-40C5-4BC0-BBC5-7CD8C8887CA5.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had a pour of Baker's last night while watching some TV.  None was spilled on the bar during pouring.

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Bwj97 said:

These two for the weekend, going to be a good one!

8A62C21E-39C3-4C63-BB84-31F53112BC2C.jpeg

Nice!

Our oldest son was stationed at Camp Zama, years ago.   

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Probably one of the better expressions of the brand extension IMO…

Im mostly working on eliminating them from my shelf now.

@Clueby is probably getting the rest of the full proof as a super secret gift, but he doesn’t know it yet 🤫 🤫🤫

He does now! 😝

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.