What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After trying many different brands over the years (many very expensive and highly regarded), with rare exceptions WT101° is all I’m going to buy now. It’s the one that I always go back to…it’s just excellent whiskey!!

WT101 - Copy.JPG

• I like it 12

44 minutes ago, CreepFactor10 said:

After trying many different brands over the years (many very expensive and highly regarded), with rare exceptions WT101° is all I’m going to buy now. It’s the one that I always go back to…it’s just excellent whiskey!!

WT101 - Copy.JPG

I always knew we had some high IQ members here.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, CreepFactor10 said:

WT101 - Copy.JPG

I'm having some right now.

The WT 101 Rye is mighty nice too.

• I like it 2

image.thumb.png.759a12fd0c8e83398d388843a3583246.pngYou’re outta Pappy?!?!

Well then, just give me ‘the bird’.

In addition to the 101, I also snagged another Saffell.   

• I like it 6

I finally broke down and picked up a bottle of Knobb Creek 12 yr. I've passed on it several times out of irritation... because I've picked up several 12+ yr old barrel picks in the past at a cheaper price (and higher proof).
However, I know those days are gone and I do really love Knobb Creek products. I am hoping this turns out to be an excellent ,well aged product, that is consistent and easy to find.
Anybody already tried the Knobb Creek 12 yr small batch?

4 hours ago, Davis Huston said:

Yes and I quite enjoyed it.  I'm not much of a Beam fan these last few years.  The peanut notes just really put me off these days.  KC doesn't put me off as much as their other products.  I think because it's a little older than Bookers and Bakers that the peanut notes mellow with age.  The 12 year and 15 year are both nice additions to the line.  The price makes them something that I probably won't buy often but I would be happy if it was gifted to me.  But then again, I think that Bookers is stupid priced now so maybe by comparison the older aged stated Knob Creeks are well positioned. 

• I like it 3

I grabbed a couple Knob Creek 15 years and a New Riff BiB at the local FWGS store.   Not a cheap day.....

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, G L Tirebiter said:

I grabbed a couple Knob Creek 15 years and a New Riff BiB at the local FWGS store.   Not a cheap day.....

I was in Pa today as well and grabbed a KC 15 and a Yellowstone Limited.   Also an expensive day, but I am happy to have another bottle of both.

• I like it 2

On 9/28/2021 at 12:11 AM, Paddy said:

image.thumb.png.759a12fd0c8e83398d388843a3583246.pngYou’re outta Pappy?!?!

Well then, just give me ‘the bird’.

In addition to the 101, I also snagged another Saffell.   

I'm still not a real fan of "The Bird" but your post rules so 👍

On 9/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, Davis Huston said:

I finally broke down and picked up a bottle of Knobb Creek 12 yr. I've passed on it several times out of irritation... because I've picked up several 12+ yr old barrel picks in the past at a cheaper price (and higher proof).
However, I know those days are gone and I do really love Knobb Creek products. I am hoping this turns out to be an excellent ,well aged product, that is consistent and easy to find.

As much as I loved the 12 to 15 year KC SiBs and still have a couple of the old timers stashed, I think you will find the 12 year extremely balanced and well worth the $65 to $70.

Even at the 100 proof it is a grab every time I see it.

Don't dawdle; the bad guys may figure it out soon...

• I like it 2

New to SB so hello all. 
Picked up a WSR at 29.99

And two Old Ezra 7’s Barrel Strengths at 49.99. Never had the Ezra and don’t like to purchase blind but a lot of people here like it so I was afraid I would too so I got one for the bunker!

Nice to meet everyone!

• I like it 4

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

New to SB so hello all. 
Picked up a WSR at 29.99

And two Old Ezra 7’s Barrel Strengths at 49.99. Never had the Ezra and don’t like to purchase blind but a lot of people here like it so I was afraid I would too so I got one for the bunker!

Nice to meet everyone!

Yo JJ; welcome...

Don't hold the Old Ezra to typical bourbon flavors. It's the off the wall difference that made me really like it. A great change of pace bourbon...

• I like it 1

Not exactly bourbon but on a whim a bought one of the Jim Beam Bourbon creams yesterday and tried it last night.  Not too bad at all.  Not quite as good as BT Bourbon Cream or the chocolate Barton iterations but pretty close.  A hellavu lot better than the Ezra Brooks bourbon cream.  That shit was too nasty for Folgers. 

• I like it 2

Snagged a bottle of WT81, not quite old enough to be a dusty yet, but with the label changes, I felt it would be kind cool to have a WT bottle that said Austin Nichols on it.

Eagle Rare has appeared all around Atlanta it seems, so I picked up two bottles for the bunker while out running errands after work. 

• I like it 2

While running around this morning I picked up a dozen glazed doughnuts for the staff at a local liquor store that has been good to me lately.  I dropped them off and left with these.

2572BB36-BDEF-4E53-AC73-2BEB7386240D.jpeg

• I like it 8

Recently began commuting to Utah (from home in Texas). For the last four years had commuted to Georgia. Was pretty much expecting sparse offerings. Came across the following in a small state-run ABC store in Orem.

Pat

20211001_201901.jpg

• I like it 9

Picked up a couple HH products to enjoy. EW 1783 & JW Dant BiB. Good value pours. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Spelling
  • I like it 5

On 9/30/2021 at 8:29 AM, BigRich said:

Not exactly bourbon but on a whim a bought one of the Jim Beam Bourbon creams yesterday and tried it last night.  Not too bad at all.  Not quite as good as BT Bourbon Cream or the chocolate Barton iterations but pretty close.  A hellavu lot better than the Ezra Brooks bourbon cream.  That shit was too nasty for Folgers. 

Make it yourself.

It's cheap and easy. I use EWBIB in it and 4 Tbsp of honey, instead of 3.

Screenshot_20190913-082511_Chrome.jpg

• I like it 1

I haven't posted much in quite a while due to some recent setbacks but I just got back from a short trip through Pittsburgh and NY state.  I picked up a couple things, nothing earth shattering.  I stopped and had a tasting at Finger Lakes Distilling and was pretty impressed with their products.  I only ended up buying their sampler but I really did like each one of these, especially the bourbon.  The rye was a little sweeter that most I've had, then I realized that they do a sherry cask finish on that product.  They were out of their BIB which I would like to have tasted.

I pick up the Barton bourbon ball cream at a state store in Pittsburgh.  I thought that was only available at the distillery and was happy to pick up a bottle since I didn't buy one when I was last in KY.

IMG_20211003_082829284.jpg

• I like it 2

Started with EW small batch, and now have moved on to Old Overholt 11 Year Old Rye. 

Medium finish to my palate.

The rye is not not helping much after Steeler loss , but currently pulling for underdog Patriots.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Make it yourself.

It's cheap and easy. I use EWBIB in it and 4 Tbsp of honey, instead of 3.

Screenshot_20190913-082511_Chrome.jpg

I have.  I cook a lot and I'm generally a from scratch cooker.   But bourbon cream for me is like cinnamon rolls.  I can make cinnamon rolls.  I can make them really well.  But most of the time I prefer to just get them at the bakery or buy them premade from the freezer. 

Now if you want to get really technical about it, liqueurs do not have the same labeling requirements as non alcoholic food and beverages.  Included in premade cream liqueurs are stabilizers that keep the product from separating and add additional viscosity that I personally enjoy in the mouthfeel of the product.  That, I can't recreate at home without hitting the chemistry supply store.  So I actually prefer the premade to homemade in this instance.  Except for the Ezra Brooks.  Again, that shit is too nasty for even Folgers. 

But I regularly make Scottish Cream for neighbors as holiday gifts. 

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.