What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nope.  Because if crappy whiskey was available in 50ml, no one would every buy the full bottle of Uncle Chester's Shitacular Less than Straight Craft But Really Rebottled Rejects from Real Distilleries Bourbon.  Gotta move the product man. 

Another aspect to it, how many more people could sample the extremely hyped LE stuff.  That could get interesting.  If it were an informed decision, to jump through all the hoops to get the full size bottle or not.

Anyway, I figure there are reasons, some stuff we never see in 50ml.  😁

14 hours ago, JGriff said:

D22BFBC0-A850-41D6-A8FF-4E7346628B9B.jpeg

I think the older design on the right only was around for 1-2 years?   Fast design change.

Same for the 15 year old - went from the nice box to the same bottle design on the left and no box!

As I was heading to a Kohler store I spotted a LS i had never seen before. Stopped in and found a bottle of EC BP B521. Had to pay $80, but that was the best price I had seen recently. He marks up the hard to find stuff, but doesn't gouge like some stores in my area.

• I like it 3

My local LS finally got this in. Purchased, opened, and am drinking. First impressions are good...

IMG_2404.jpg

• I like it 6

I enjoy the EW 1783 SB here in the control state of PA fairly regularly.  Has a medium to long finish and some heat.    Might have to stock up on a few backups.   So whats the deal with the screw on caps? (I could google it but for the sake of  conversation, I raise the question)   Thx

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

My local LS finally got this in. Purchased, opened, and am drinking. First impressions are good...

IMG_2404.jpg

So, Jake, how’s it compare to a basic 1783? I gave up on the basic a year or so ago - inconsistency of ugh vs. just ok drove me crazy. Started buying ECs and botommshelfers I’d never tried.

edit - I drinking some JD 100 proof out of its liter bottle.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Oh, yeah, what I drinking
  • I like it 3

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

So, Jake, how’s it compare to a basic 1783? I gave up on the basic a year or so ago - inconsistency of ugh vs. just ok drove me crazy. Started buying ECs and botommshelfers I’d never tried.

edit - I drinking some JD 100 proof out of its liter bottle.

Hey Harry, like you I've stayed away from the previous 1783 iteration for much the same reasons, plus I could always get the BIB or SiB for my EW fix, and not think twice. I would say the new version, from the bottle, to what's inside, is better. New bottle feels great in hand, and the label redesign takes some of the gaudiness out of the old version. Inside is an upgrade as well. A bit deeper and more refined flavor. The uptick in proof is also nice (I'm looking at you Single Barrel). As to consistency, this is only the first bottle I've had of the new version. Time will tell if it remains consistently good, or varies, or drops off. Hopefully the former. Right now I think I'll enjoy a little bit more of it.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Hey Harry, like you I've stayed away from the previous 1783 iteration for much the same reasons, plus I could always get the BIB or SiB for my EW fix, and not think twice. I would say the new version, from the bottle, to what's inside, is better. New bottle feels great in hand, and the label redesign takes some of the gaudiness out of the old version. Inside is an upgrade as well. A bit deeper and more refined flavor. The uptick in proof is also nice (I'm looking at you Single Barrel). As to consistency, this is only the first bottle I've had of the new version. Time will tell if it remains consistently good, or varies, or drops off. Hopefully the former. Right now I think I'll enjoy a little bit more of it.

THX for this.  I've been a fan of HH/EW for years but always found 1783 hit and miss.  The BPs and semi-LEs were more hit than miss but still . . .

Maybe HH's production expansions of both the EW line and the Bardstown lines circa 2014 are finally mature enough to sell.  Think about how PHAT the bourbon market would/WILL be when Saz/BT's lines, expanded about the same time, start coming on line.

I'd be dead in a week from alcohol poisoning, but WHAT A WAY TO GO!!! hahahahaha!!

EDIT - We are talking about HH/EW's 1783 here, not Saz/Barton's 1792 (formerly Ridgemont Reserve) with which it is sometimes confused.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
clarifying my own head
  • I like it 1

Went to Dallas last weekend for OU-Texas, so I stopped into Spec's to see if I could find some things for my whiskey club and for me. Wife was with me so I had the "oh these two are for the club so I'll get reimbursed" line going...she still raised her eyebrows at the price when I checked out. Ha. Picked up a FRSBS because we can't get it here in Oklahoma. Also got a Penelope Private Select and a Pursuit Series 037. That last one really is for the club...Oh and I also got a Spec's Nashville Barrel Rye pick. 

Went to my local LS today.  They were getting their Blantons and were also handing out numbers.  I got there around 10:55 and at 11, I was number 9 and 10 so got the 2 bottle limit.  Spiing some now.   Pretty, pretty, pretty smooth  

• I like it 2

I had a little time to kill around lunch time yesterday so I popped in somewhere I haven't been in a while.  I walked out with a Buffalo Trace, BT Bourbon Cream, and a Stellum Rye barrel pick.

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 2

10 hours ago, G L Tirebiter said:

Went to my local LS today.  They were getting their Blantons and were also handing out numbers.  I got there around 10:55 and at 11, I was number 9 and 10 so got the 2 bottle limit.  Spiing some now.   Pretty, pretty, pretty smooth  

So that's how PLCB is doing it now...good on you for the Blanton's.  I've had my bottle I got off the shelf now for close to 3 years w/o finishing it lol but will look for you next time I go hunting as well.  PM me if you are every looking for something in particular and we can meet up.

Cheers,

Dylan, your fellow Yinzer Steelers/Pens, but not Pirates fan

Went to Walgreens to get my Covid  booster and annual Flu vaccines.  I decided to stop into a nearby LS and found a 2020 4R  LE at msrp.  Yes it did come home with me.

• I like it 9

I helped a friend move some of his inventory to his new store.  He had it built about 50’ behind the existing one.   He has always been good to me.
 I bought a Yellowstone based on comments here.

He asked what I wanted for the labor, I told him” first shot at any BTAC if it ever shows up.”   He said he wasn’t certain he would even see any.  Fair enough.

While sitting out front checking messages, he knocked on the back and said to open up, he had a gift for me.  When I got home I found these.

9675B2B4-8B41-40EC-A6F4-B1318BD78349.jpeg

• I like it 13

After trying a couple more recent MMCS, I knew I preferred an earlier batch from last year,  which I have one open and one more in the bunker.  Today I stopped at a small place I visit semi-regularly, and he had a couple of the batch I love, so I grabbed them. Well worth the extra few $$ to me.

• I like it 3

good day in the "big city".

handful of WSR at $20

couple EHT small batch at $40

Bulleit blender's select 001 $48 (an amazing 4 roses blend)

Knob 12 $58

1792 single barrel pick $39

4 eagle rare store picks $34

• I like it 10

Nice 107 proof single barrel here, just 35 bucks, with an interesting mashbill that contains more barley than rye.  

20211014_230406.jpg

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, lemonman said:

After trying a couple more recent MMCS, I knew I preferred an earlier batch from last year,  which I have one open and one more in the bunker.  Today I stopped at a small place I visit semi-regularly, and he had a couple of the batch I love, so I grabbed them. Well worth the extra few $$ to me.

Mind sharing which batch that is?  I really enjoyed 20-01.  Much better than the highly acclaimed (on Reddit) 20-03. 

Hehe, it was 20-03. In my defense, I liked it long before I saw the Reddit reviews of that batch. Never had the 20-01; if I ever see one I'll grab it, although it's probably too late now.

It's probably palate preferences. The two I didn't care as much for were 20-05 and 21-03. 20-05 was somewhat dark, heavy on cinnamon, and with a sooty finish that reminded me of M46, my least favorite MM. 21-03 was even darker for me, lacking the sweetness I expect when I reach for MM. Others might like that.

I got a call about these earlier in the week, when I got there he asked, “do you want an ETL also.”   What do you think?  Rhetorical right.

09546582-92A6-4B46-B801-7EC224B36336.jpeg

• I like it 7

I didn’t buy a darn thing today. However, I finally made time to stop by and see Galvin0791. We swapped a couple of samples. We also swapped Weller 12’s. He received an old label/bottle and I received a new label/ bottle. It’s part of a plan I’m working on. 😉 He also gave me a MM 101 and a WW Outryder as retirement gifts. 👍 Uncle Joe says thanks again Mike. 😁

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.c1a544ca66e1fd6fcb4a2b93c894a994.jpeg

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.