What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, lemonman said:

Hehe, it was 20-03. In my defense, I liked it long before I saw the Reddit reviews of that batch. Never had the 20-01; if I ever see one I'll grab it, although it's probably too late now.

It's probably palate preferences. The two I didn't care as much for were 20-05 and 21-03. 20-05 was somewhat dark, heavy on cinnamon, and with a sooty finish that reminded me of M46, my least favorite MM. 21-03 was even darker for me, lacking the sweetness I expect when I reach for MM. Others might like that.

It’s always palate preferences.  Unless, someone is not being true to themselves.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s always palate preferences.  Unless, someone is not being true to themselves.  

Yeah, that's my automatic internet disclaimer, learned decades ago after dealing with those who will argue any absolute, including sunrises.

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

I got a call about these earlier in the week, when I got there he asked, “do you want an ETL also.”   What do you think?  Rhetorical right.

09546582-92A6-4B46-B801-7EC224B36336.jpeg

Dang!!  Nice pickups 

Picked this OE7 up "on sale" for $39.99+t. I had $6 off in rewards as well.  I had a FB discussion  with the person that posted its availability about why anyone in their right mind would choose this over WT Rare Breed at essentially the same price and proof. His argument was that there was a wildly different quality. I wouldn't call it a quality difference, I'd call it a different profile for sure. I think RB is perfectly good bourbon but has the spice of WT.  I also like the oakiness and the nuttiness of the OE.  I generally tend to prefer oak and sweet over spice.

20211015_202549.jpg

• I like it 8

On 10/15/2021 at 7:24 AM, lemonman said:

Hehe, it was 20-03. In my defense, I liked it long before I saw the Reddit reviews of that batch. Never had the 20-01; if I ever see one I'll grab it, although it's probably too late now.

Haha.  I found the 20-01 to be sweeter and less spicy than the 03.  Not that the 03 is bad though.  K&L still has the 20-01 if you have a connection in Calif.  Unfortunately, they don't ship out of the state. 

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Mrs. Clueby said we needed more. Who am I to argue?!

Hmmm. 🤔

image.gif.dbe939fd383ca1873cb95e0e4f81f765.gif

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Mrs. Clueby said we needed more. Who am I to argue?!

20211016_165757.jpg

wise woman.  you should listen to her more often

• I like it 4

We were out and about yesterday, mainly to take a drive and enjoy the nice fall day. On our way back from Wisconsin we stopped by a small craft distillery in a small town about 30 miles away. It was a pleasant experience, and I was offered a couple of small samples. I know I said I was done taking a flyer on things, but I just couldn’t help myself. I ended up buying a Rush Creek 3 year old, 90 proof wheated recipe bourbon. The sample was fairly tasty even though it tasted a bit “young” and was slightly tannic. It shows some potential, so I figured what the heck. 🙄

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.4b1b81d2d3cd0fb6812bfa9f089e68a9.jpeg

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Not quite exactly the Russell’s 13 I was looking for, but better than nothing.

😁

B99249E1-2351-4FB8-9827-94C7BCDBF674.jpeg

This is one of the times when this forum needs a “love” button.

• I like it 4

Received this as a gift for officiating at a swim meet this weekend.  Good friend was in Lexington, KY at UK's Homecoming weekend with his parents and younger brother and picked this up for me at Keeneland Mercantile in downtown.

Keeneland Anniversary PS.jpg

From the Keeneland Mercantile website:

As Keeneland celebrates its 85th anniversary this year, it also marks a 25 year milestone of partnership for the Maker's Mark Mile (G1), run each Spring at the historic racecourse.

The nose of the Keeneland Anniversary Batch begins with distinct notes of oak, dark chocolate with toasted caramel, baking spices, and plum. Upon tasting, the palate has a rich, warm mouthfeel accompanied by decadent milk chocolate with hints of fig and clove. A long, warming finish radiates from the center of the palate

as the bourbon crescendos with toasty baking spices.

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

It seems like the w107 faucet has dried up, at least for the last couple of weeks.  I did manage to win (the chance to purchase 😆) the Wfp ($54 otd)thru a proxy, fingers crossed on the next state bottle lotto lol. The Wsr ($24.75 otd) was today’s pickup (passed on it last week) and the KC9 SiB (~$55) is from a recent bottle swaparoo, which is reminding me

of the KC9 (~$35) old fashioned glass gift set I seen and need to subsequently go back and get. 

FD05BF18-BA46-4C79-9A46-D3E75BFA04F8.jpeg

Edited by TehRegion219
Numbers are fun
  • I like it 8

Walked in to LB today and saw these.  I haven’t grabbed a KC in a long time.

598DAB77-4D4D-461A-9FD4-27BE2AFC88F7.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Walked in to LB today and saw these.  I haven’t grabbed a KC in a long time.

598DAB77-4D4D-461A-9FD4-27BE2AFC88F7.jpeg

Did the drop the boxes?

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

No boxes in sight.

the new bottle design does not have a box - the box and bottle sure did not hang around very long!

Me 'n Mrs. Jazz spent a long weekend in Chicago,  in impossibly beautiful late October weather,  eschewing museums and just walking the City,   through Lincoln Park and up Clark until a certain shrine appeared at Addison.   We also enjoyed a reunion with our daughter and son-in-law,  over Mexican food and a pitcher of margs.   

I picked up a bottle of Very Old Barton's 100 for the hotel room,  which in these pandemic days comes equipped only with paper cups.   It hit the spot.   For the checked bag for the flight home I acquired a Bardstown Fusion Batch 4 and a Smoke Wagon UCUF.    When searching for strange stuff on foreign soil I am tending these days to favor examples of thoughtful blending.   I hope these turn out to be good 'uns.   

• I like it 5

I went across town to my favorite liquor store and picked up: VOB 100, Nelson's Green Brier (first time), and Old Smuggler Scotch.  All three went directly into the liquor cabinet at home, on deck, to use a baseball term. 🙂

• I like it 3

55 minutes ago, Double C's said:

last night I picked up a buffalo trace bourbon cream, jim beam bourbon cream, and a remus repeal V.

Interested in the JBBC vs BTBC.  Let us know thoughts.  I think the BT one is way better than the Ezra Brooks.  The Barton/Flatboat chocolate bourbon cream is pretty legit, though!

Old Fitzgerald BiB (decanter bottle) - $150 OTD.   Spring 2021 bottling - 11yr.  YUMMO!.  😋

• I like it 4

A local retailer is offering KC12 for $49.99.  I grabbed one.  I am not sure if there is a limit but I noticed everyone in the bourbon area picked up only one bottle.  They have several cases and a large display.  

The same store had Basil Hayden's for $22.99.  I passed on it since a store closer to me has it for $23.99 so I didn't feel the need to pick one up today.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.