What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Clueby said:

Interested in the JBBC vs BTBC.  Let us know thoughts.  I think the BT one is way better than the Ezra Brooks.  The Barton/Flatboat chocolate bourbon cream is pretty legit, though!

It's been a while since I had the BTBC, but I am about halfway through the JBBC already. It is definitely better than the Ezra Brooks version. When I get towards the bottom of the bottle I will open the BT one and do a side by side. I have been asking myself this same question as well. Hence the reason I bought both of them at the same time.

Out and about this afternoon and found a couple interesting things at Circle Liquors near Ocean City:   a 1792 BIB, the first I've seen in a couple of years,  and a Rebel 10.   This wasn't cheap, over 80 bucks,  but it's the closest I'll likely get to Old Fitz 11.

17 hours ago, Double C's said:

It's been a while since I had the BTBC, but I am about halfway through the JBBC already. It is definitely better than the Ezra Brooks version. When I get towards the bottom of the bottle I will open the BT one and do a side by side. I have been asking myself this same question as well. Hence the reason I bought both of them at the same time.

I recently did this too. While BTBC is still the front runner (Barton's has that chocolate thing going on so I put it in a class of it's own), the JBBC is coming in a close second.  The Ezra Brooks version is trash.  They need to pull it, reformulate, and relaunch.  It's not the bourbon in it. The ratios are all off.  Its sickly sweet with minimal bourbon flavor carrying forward. 

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

I recently did this too. While BTBC is still the front runner (Barton's has that chocolate thing going on so I put it in a class of it's own), the JBBC is coming in a close second.  The Ezra Brooks version is trash.  They need to pull it, reformulate, and relaunch.  It's not the bourbon in it. The ratios are all off.  Its sickly sweet with minimal bourbon flavor carrying forward. 

Do you have to turn in your "Man Card" before they let us buy the bourbon cremes or can we just say "It's for a friend (or better yet, my wife)?"  Yeah, that's the ticket.   😂

BTBC with fresh root beer and newly home-made vanilla ice cream make one of the world's best summer refresher I've ever had.  Usually have two or three at a time.  You never know when you're gonna' get run over by a truck.   JMHO.   😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

picked a few bottles up on my trip to Spain

IMG20211025154630.jpg

Edited by anthony. g.
  • I like it 5

2 hours ago, mross said:

Motherload. One of my favorites.

motherload.jpg

I see stuff like this at Sam’s/Costco all the time for all their liquor and wonder how much time/money is wasted de-stacking, case cutting, and re-stacking a whole pallet.  Plus the stack has to be more wobbly and accident prone, especially on a forklift.   🤷🏻‍♂️

(not that you bought it there, I’m just rambling.  Glad you scored something you enjoy!)

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

2021 Four Roses LE

Missed it today along with Blantons and ER. Things are getting crazy, people bringing chairs camping out at the grocery store waiting on the drop… I smell a 🐀. The first 6-7 we’re totally new faces, the regulars were all surprised as I was. I’ve showed up at the same time the last several weeks when it’s been more or less dry, and then today bam the word was out (I speculate since nobody knows what’s coming until it gets there or so I’m told) 

Anywho, I prob would have passed on the 4R and Blantons anyways since I’m really just looking for that “red Weller”, which was also present today and served as a consolation prize for everyone after the 12th person in line and didn’t last long either. Only 3 more empty spots left!!

image.jpg

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Missed it today along with Blantons and ER. Things are getting crazy, people bringing chairs camping out at the grocery store waiting on the drop… I smell a 🐀. The first 6-7 we’re totally new faces, the regulars were all surprised as I was. I’ve showed up at the same time the last several weeks when it’s been more or less dry, and then today bam the word was out (I speculate since nobody knows what’s coming until it gets there or so I’m told) 

Anywho, I prob would have passed on the 4R and Blantons anyways since I’m really just looking for that “red Weller”, which was also present today and served as a consolation prize for everyone after the 12th person in line and didn’t last long either. Only 3 more empty spots left!!

image.jpg

I don’t even know where to begin to respond…. 

28 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t even know where to begin to respond…. 

Oh oh….

44 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

image.jpg

So, are you saying the grocery store had FR Small Batch LE?  Just curious, which grocery store and state?  I don't care about the city.  I do know of grocery stores that receive FR, Blanton's, ECBP, etc. although they rarely reveal that they do.  These are often held for "insiders" like distributors.  Since I am not an "insider," I really don't know if any of these higher volume grocery chains receive LEs.

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

So, are you saying the grocery store had FR Small Batch LE?  Just curious, which grocery store and state?  I don't care about the city.  I do know of grocery stores that receive FR, Blanton's, ECBP, etc. although they rarely reveal that they do.  These are often held for "insiders" like distributors.  Since I am not an "insider," I really don't know if any of these higher volume grocery chains receive LEs.

Yes, like the ones in the picture. They only got 1 case of 6 (orange labels on box) I was surprised it wasn’t a lotto thing. Supposedly this store is a commercial account that sells to local bars, that’s the reason the Weller train and friends stop in so often. Ive been to other stores and was told they rarely see any thing allocated at all.

Its a Kroger in Columbus Ohio…. 

BE86A6CC-BBD0-4711-AE9E-2E266C1A3D37.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, TehRegion219 said:

Yes, like the ones in the picture. They only got 1 case of 6 (orange labels on box) I was surprised it wasn’t a lotto thing. Supposedly this store is a commercial account that sells to local bars, that’s the reason the Weller train and friends stop in so often. Ive been to other stores and was told they rarely see any thing allocated at all.

Its a Kroger in Columbus Ohio…. 

BE86A6CC-BBD0-4711-AE9E-2E266C1A3D37.jpeg

Kroger makes sense.  They are the chain I was talking about in my area.  They are a large liquor retailer in my area.  It would have been sweet to grab one of these puppies at retail but Weller is a great consolation, if that is the way one wants to look at it.  Some might prefer Weller over FR.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

Kroger makes sense.  They are the chain I was talking about in my area.  They are a large liquor retailer in my area.  It would have been sweet to grab one of these puppies at retail but Weller is a great consolation, if that is the way one wants to look at it.  Some might prefer Weller over FR.

I’m always the oddball that’s specifically looking for W107 and is happy when it’s in the cart 😂. Some people pass and others just straight up leave if they’re beyond #7 or #13 in line when there’s only 1 case of xyzomgbbqtatersauce bourbon but 1-3 cases of 107 and 2-4 cases of wsr, at msrp to boot! Found the loophole? in the state control bidness. 

2 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

I’m always the oddball that’s specifically looking for W107 and is happy when it’s in the cart 😂. Some people pass and others just straight up leave if they’re beyond #7 or #13 in line when there’s only 1 case of xyzomgbbqtatersauce bourbon but 1-3 cases of 107 and 2-4 cases of wsr, at msrp to boot! Found the loophole? in the state control bidness. 

Sure, I would like to find a bottle of FR Roses SmB LE at MSRP or close, but I would much rather have W107 or WSR at MSRP over Blanton's and most FR SiB, except for FR SiB BP.  Then it would depend on the recipe, proof, and price.  W107 is a win every time for me.

• I like it 2

Stopped by the grocery store this morning to pickup some fixin's for white chicken chili this evening.  The next door LS is a price gouger, but I usually will pop in just because I'm there.  I have [picked up a bottle of ER, and Blantons there before, but there is always a surcharge over the msrp.  Today when I walked in, and went to the bourbon aisle,  there were unopened boxes waiting to be emptied and put on the shelves.  I spied an unopened box of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  I asked the store owner if he knew whether it was B521 or C921 and he said he would look after he got done checking folks out at the cash register.  But he said I could open the box if I was in a hurry.  And so I did.  And I came home with a ECBP C921 at the tater price of $79.99.  Not sure why I didn't walk away and go look at my usual spots, "bird in the hand is worth...".

If this is my only fall LE, then I will be happy.  May open tonight to determine is I need to find another.

972810753_20211027_164632(1).thumb.jpg.af1bae90127cd717bd65fdfb7e11e866.jpg

• I like it 6

Right day, right time, right price (kinda') to find 2021 FRSmB LEs:

2021 FRSmB LE and Old Fitz 11.jpg

Old Fitz 11yr from a previous purchase (no pic from previous post, you doubters!) - helped compose the pretty picture.   😂

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!   🥳

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 8

On 10/26/2021 at 8:10 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Sure, I would like to find a bottle of FR Roses SmB LE at MSRP or close, but I would much rather have W107 or WSR at MSRP over Blanton's and most FR SiB, except for FR SiB BP.  Then it would depend on the recipe, proof, and price.  W107 is a win every time for me.

Say what?  I’d much rather FR SmB LE over Weller Antique.  Antique is good but 4R SmB LE is a different league.  All good we all have our preferences.

• I like it 2

I finally broke down and got the newer higher priced RR SB store pick.  I haven’t seen a RR SB on a shelf for probably a year.  I get the feeling WT is only bottling store picks RR SB and no regular SB. I guess everything is worthy of being a store pick these days?

I like it but I really like RR SB, it’s $10 more than I’ve paid for a RR SB and probably the least interesting one I bought. Man I remember passing on a batch purchase of three different WTKS old bottle and three RRSB for $300 a few years back.  I thought $50 was a bottle was too much, oops.

This KC rye pick on the other hand is better than I remember and I’m digging it.  Was in a part of town I don’t normally get to.  There’s a store with a very cool bourbon enthusiast running the joint.  His store has been hit hard by taters so I usually don’t bother.  Also looks like those taters made him do several NDP store picks that don’t seem to be moving, really sucks good guys stuck with mediocre picks.

I’m rambling sorry y’all.

2CD8E741-77C0-4B0D-8020-479ABB2D269A.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.