What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!   🥳

image.gif.30d6b4fef0b1a980655421c5de77099d.gif

Biba! Joe 🤪

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Say what?  I’d much rather FR SmB LE over Weller Antique.  Antique is good but 4R SmB LE is a different league.  All good we all have our preferences.

No, we are on the same page.  I would prefer FRSmB LE over OWA.  I was making the case for choosing OWA or WSR over Blanton's and standard FR SiB, although I can imagine some quibble with that position as well.  Looking back at my post, I didn't write it very clearly.   I should have used a period instead of a comma after the statement about FR SmB LE.

With respect to my original thought, I like OWA, WSR, Blanton's and FR SiB.  In fact, I bought two FR SiB today.  However, given scarcity and preferences, I would rather run across OWA or WSR than Blanton's or FR SiB.   It really doesn't matter, the only one of the four I see on the shelves in Indy is FR SiB.  It seems to be plentiful right now. 

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Right day, right time, right price (kinda') to find 2021 FRSmB LEs:

2021 FRSmB LE and Old Fitz 11.jpg

Old Fitz 11yr from a previous purchase (no pic from previous post, you doubters!) - helped compose the pretty picture.   😂

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!   🥳

Maybe you were both good and lucky?  This picture reminds me of Rob Schneider's three daughters in Grown Ups, except in this case while one is different than the others, none look like Rob.

• I like it 3

Today I picked up: Old Forester 100, WT 101, MM 101, and EW B.I.B.

It was the big grocery store sale they do a couple times a year.  I just can't pass those sort of deals.  The only one over $20 was the MM 101 @ $25.  The others were like $18 - $13.  I had to go to two locations.  They don't stock all the same things.  Missed out on Rittenhouse.  I asked if there was any in back.  Manager lady said another lady grabbed all eight bottles they had right before I got there.  It's all good.  I'm stocked up with really solid daily drinker types for the holidays and winter.

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Today I picked up: Old Forester 100, WT 101, MM 101, and EW B.I.B.

It was the big grocery store sale they do a couple times a year.  I just can't pass those sort of deals.  The only one over $20 was the MM 101 @ $25.  The others were like $18 - $13.  I had to go to two locations.  They don't stock all the same things.  Missed out on Rittenhouse.  I asked if there was any in back.  Manager lady said another lady grabbed all eight bottles they had right before I got there.  It's all good.  I'm stocked up with really solid daily drinker types for the holidays and winter.

Thanks to @PaulO, I was able to take part in the same sale but at one of the stores on the northside of Indy.  I ended up with Four Roses Small Batch Select, Four Roses SiB, OF Statesman, OF100, and something out of my wheelhouse, Woodinville.   The store I was at was really crowded since I went close to lunchtime so several of us were chatting up what we like, general interests, etc.  A few of the guys said they really like Woodinville and picked up a bottle.  It was $27.99 and I was thinking out the craft discussion that @smokinjoe started earlier in the week so I thought why not.

As @PaulO pointed out the stores don't always stock the same things.  The store I was at had several bottles of Rittenhouse.  I stopped by my local store in the chain later in the day to grocery shop and noticed it had been cleaned out of everything of note, except Woodford, Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark.

• I like it 2

Due to life and crap, I haven’t made a post here in a while. So I’m rectifying that. And I’ve felt bad that I haven’t publicly thanked @GeeTen for his generosity in helping acquire the RR13. He’s an ok guy. 

I got lucky with the WTMK; as a turkey head this makes me very happy. The Copper and Cask is super dark 6 year old MGP bourbon. So it looked interesting. Finally the RR is a super old warehouse M pick from Julio’s up here in MA.

Nothing opened yet but I’m hoping to fix that soon. :)

9E02E2AF-4DE8-4A21-9E1E-1BE789A46DEA.jpeg

80C9CD2A-CB72-4E40-947C-533B74A1C663.jpeg

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 12

On 10/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, markandrex said:

Two stops while grocery shopping, not a bad day.

C9356574-4F6D-4FB0-AA5E-F209E3A238E9.jpeg

Did you find Balboa in a store? Just curious as I missed it last year and it doesn’t appear to be on the menu in 2021. That would be the start and finish to my LE quest ( if I had one, which I don’t). Only had it once but twas a healthy pour and I enjoyed it enough that I hope to one day add a bottle to bar. Well done!!

• I like it 2

The recent appearance of Total Wine in town has created a positive dynamic within the local independent liquor stores (the Caribou Crossing is another conversation entirely)…

IMG_6941.thumb.jpg.541ab655ddf16c1548677cfb9e793492.jpg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Due to life and crap, I haven’t made a post here in a while. So I’m rectifying that. And I’ve felt bad that I haven’t publicly thanked @GeeTen for his generosity in helping acquire the RR13. He’s an ok guy. 

I got lucky with the WTMK; as a turkey head this makes me very happy. The Copper and Cask is super dark 6 year old MGP bourbon. So it looked interesting. Finally the RR is a super old warehouse M pick from Julio’s up here in MA.

Outstanding!

Stopped by a store on the way home after going to a college football game, and was intending to pick up a spare ER for tbe bunker. To my surprise there were a couple of other bottles that wanted to come stay with me as well. How could I say no to those cute little faces?

4AFFE834-8E30-48C0-A9C3-D658B56EAD92.jpeg

• I like it 9

5 hours ago, mal00768 said:

You're welcome!  😇

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Did you find Balboa in a store? Just curious as I missed it last year and it doesn’t appear to be on the menu in 2021. That would be the start and finish to my LE quest ( if I had one, which I don’t). Only had it once but twas a healthy pour and I enjoyed it enough that I hope to one day add a bottle to bar. Well done!!

New release in stores around here.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Stopped by a store on the way home after going to a college football game, and was intending to pick up a spare ER for tbe bunker. To my surprise there were a couple of other bottles that wanted to come stay with me as well. How could I say no to those cute little faces?

You scored after the football game!  

• I like it 3

While I didn't score anything like the preceding several posts, I did pick up more bottles today as part of my recent buying spree.  Cheap Bastard scored Basil Hayden for $23.99 and MM101 for $23.99.  I also grabbed a barrel select Rossville Union Rye for $20.  While the prices aren't relevant to most in this forum, other than a crazy price I saw on BH last weekend which I passed on, I am seeing it regularly in the Indy area ranging between $26.99 and $47.99.  It was the cheapest price I have seen on MM101.  

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Whats the story on the JD LE this year?

11 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Whats the story on the JD LE this year?

Story appears to be that it should come with a warning label. That bad mama jama’s veering into hazmat. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

While I didn't score anything like the preceding several posts, I did pick up more bottles today as part of my recent buying spree.  Cheap Bastard scored Basil Hayden for $23.99 and MM101 for $23.99.  I also grabbed a barrel select Rossville Union Rye for $20.  While the prices aren't relevant to most in this forum, other than a crazy price I saw on BH last weekend which I passed on, I am seeing it regularly in the Indy area ranging between $26.99 and $47.99.  It was the cheapest price I have seen on MM101.  

That's a crazy price on the MM101; it's $35-40 here. At your price I'd be filling up the SUV.

• I like it 2

On 10/29/2021 at 7:42 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Thanks to @PaulO, I was able to take part in the same sale but at one of the stores on the northside of Indy.  I ended up with Four Roses Small Batch Select, Four Roses SiB, OF Statesman, OF100, and something out of my wheelhouse, Woodinville.   The store I was at was really crowded since I went close to lunchtime so several of us were chatting up what we like, general interests, etc.  A few of the guys said they really like Woodinville and picked up a bottle.  It was $27.99 and I was thinking out the craft discussion that @smokinjoe started earlier in the week so I thought why not.

As @PaulO pointed out the stores don't always stock the same things.  The store I was at had several bottles of Rittenhouse.  I stopped by my local store in the chain later in the day to grocery shop and noticed it had been cleaned out of everything of note, except Woodford, Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark.

I met a friend for lunch today and visited @PaulO's stores on the southside of Indy today.  He must have wiped them all out.  I did run into a former soccer player whom I coached many years ago while visiting Kroger.  He is married now and coaching.  Man, it made me feel odd.  He was buying cereal and I was hoping to buy bourbon.  His cart was full.  I left empty handed.

• I like it 2

Just now, lemonman said:

That's a crazy price on the MM101; it's $35-40 here. At your price I'd be filling up the SUV.

I know, right.  I bought my first bottle last year around this time for $39.99.  One of the larger chains is celebrating National Bourbon Month with a 20% off sale.  Normally, this chain's prices are on the higher end.  However, they have MM101 for $29.99.  20% off and the only bottle on the shelf went home with me.  I could have asked to see if they had any in the back but it was crowded and I have enough in the bunker.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I met a friend for lunch today and visited @PaulO's stores on the southside of Indy today.  He must have wiped them all out.  I did run into a former soccer player whom I coached many years ago while visiting Kroger.  He is married now and coaching.  Man, it made me feel odd.  He was buying cereal and I was hoping to buy bourbon.  His cart was full.  I left empty handed.

There were already some big holes in the shelves when I started Friday at 11:00AM. 🕵️‍♂️

I'll ask my manager friend exactly how early they are allowed to sell.

It seems you better get there when the cock crows if you want certain things, or they're hiding stuff in back (not sure).

• I like it 1

Got  back yesterday from two weeks on the  Outer Banks

Hit a few stores on the way down and back, looking mostly for bottles that are hard to find (if at all) in PA (without breaking the bank)

Came home with

Stellum Single Barrel
Woodinville Straight Bourbon
1792 Bottled in Bond
OF 120 Prohibition
Geo. Remus Straight Bourbon
Blackened
Jim Beam Single Barrel (95 proof)
Mularkey Smokehouse
Russells Reserve Single Barrel
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Eagle Rare

Should be well stocked for winter...

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You scored after the football game!  

I just wish the team I was rooting for had scored this well, but they did not.  Looking forward to opening these in the near future.

It was another good day yesterday out west:

JM Cigar Blend and Stellum.jpg

Got lucky and managed to snare a bottle of Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend, Batch 57 (any comments on its origins, @Whiskey Bender?), a L&K pick of Stellum SiB Cask Strength (122.7 pf), and six (6) bottles of L&K SiBs from Wilderness Trail (2 ea. from barrels of high rye bourbon, wheater bourbon, and rye).  The ryes were the big winners with a 50:50 blend of the two barrels creating a fabulous microbatch that highlited the best of each barrel and made the whole even better than the very fine parts (IMHO, of course).   😇

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!  😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!  😉

image.gif.aecc892607ae978ee55b087b360f9008.gif🤔🙄🤫😬🤣

Biba! Joe

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

There were already some big holes in the shelves when I started Friday at 11:00AM. 🕵️‍♂️

I'll ask my manager friend exactly how early they are allowed to sell.

It seems you better get there when the cock crows if you want certain things, or they're hiding stuff in back (not sure).

Haha, my expectations were low.  We just happened to be in the area so I stopped in.  I know my local store keeps stuff in the back but I don't ask any more since the liquor department manager is a little squirrely.  I know you can go in at 7 a.m.  I stopped in on the way to work one time and had to wait for the discount to show up in the system.

Even going at lunch, you have to watch to make sure you get the discount.  I had to go to Customer Service to get the additional 15% discount.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.