What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Took a drive down the White Horse Pike through Stratford today and picked up three very nice bottles.   First spotted was a  Rendezvous Rye dusty from early 2018 that should be tremendous.   Next, Penelope's new barrel strength  small batch,  SB-01, that they blended at their new New Jersey. DSP.   This is a ten barrel batch (their usual numbered batches are 70 or so),  and consists of their usual three-MGP blend with,  I think I heard, some high- barley juice in there  as well.   Last, an Eagle Rare, the first to alight on my bar in five years.

• I like it 4

Walked in to my local and my guy said I got something set aside since I know you are a Turkey head. Wild Turkeys “one” and my daughter turned one today! Daddy’s breaking into that tonight to toast to my Amelia!!!

6E633C30-45F8-4EA5-A098-C4244387A23E.jpeg

• I like it 22

2 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Walked in to my local and my guy said I got something set aside since I know you are a Turkey head. Wild Turkeys “one” and my daughter turned one today! Daddy’s breaking into that tonight to toast to my Amelia!!!

6E633C30-45F8-4EA5-A098-C4244387A23E.jpeg

awesome and Congrats on both!

• I like it 3

My local grocery finally got some more BT in, so I grabbed one. Availability of BT seems to be hit or miss in Cheesecurdistan these days....

• I like it 5

35 minutes ago, B3Nut said:

My local grocery finally got some more BT in, so I grabbed one. Availability of BT seems to be hit or miss in Cheesecurdistan these days....

Same here, but just south of you Todd. Cases and /or shelves full of BT for a few days, then hit or miss for a while. And as I’ve oft said about certain things; rinse, wash and repeat.🙄 

Another factor regarding BT availability here in northern Illinois, which I believe I posted about before, is the rumor going around that  BT is Blanton’s in a “domestic” bottle. This immediately brings a couple of things to mind for me. The first being Gary/Vosgar and his use of the term “ass hat”. 😂 The second thing is regarding something a really great guy I bowled against 40 years ago once said. Long story, but... “I would say shit, but I don’t cuss.”😉 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, B3Nut said:

"Cheesecurdistan" - I love it.  Much better than "The People's Republic of Massachusetts"!   😂

• I like it 1

I stopped into the local Total Wine to get......well....wine.  I needed some italian white (don't drink enough to keep on hand) to cook with.  I checked the bourbon aisle and saw two sad little bottles of Hancock's Reserve on the bottom shelf.  Not my favorite BT product by a long shot but I have some neighbors who would enjoy me pouring it so it came home with me.  I also finally broke down and grabbed a bottle of Smoke Wagon.  Curiosity and a drought of bourbon purchases finally got to me.  I hope this mellows out my itch for awhile so I'm not back staring hard at those ridiculously priced Peerless bottles. 

• I like it 2

this is a combined "What are you drinking?" and "What bottle did you buy today?".  Last night after a great steak dinner on the new paver patio, and before Monday Night Football, I decided to have a pour of Russell Reserve Single Barrel and it was sublime.  When I opened it I was just "meh" about it, but last night it was wonderful,  Spice, but not too much.  A bit of fruit, but not too much, very thick mouth feel, bordering on "creamy".  Just absolutely perfect.  The pour was over way to quickly and so I decided I would stay with WT and go with WTRB.  It was such a huge letdown.  I almost decided to toss it and go back to the RRSiB, but soldiered on and finished the pour which also ended my night.  But the chase for bourbon nirvana didn't end there as today I found myself poking around on Rarebird101.com, and trying to decide if I could duplicate last night RRSiB with a similar bottle.  This led to trying to understand the locations of WT warehouses, bottling dates,...it made me dizzy with all the subjective data.  So I went out to find a PS of RRSiB, and I found one with similar background, I think.

Will do a SBS in a couple weeks after this bottle has been open and had time to open up like the one I have open now.  

The old bottle:  

20211102_152435.thumb.jpg.0bcce4b5591832454b35eb7cb583d1df.jpg

the new bottle:

20211102_152404.thumb.jpg.e1ff83679f95de69e506c459bdfa74e7.jpg

• I like it 7

I felt dirty having to ask if they had any behind the counter, i was told that was how it worked this year, but last year’s version of this was a highlight of last year’s purchases so feelings be darned. 

7393D0C3-7CDE-4086-A44A-64BDC8EB9DB9.jpeg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Richdel said:

this is a combined "What are you drinking?" and "What bottle did you buy today?".  Last night after a great steak dinner on the new paver patio, and before Monday Night Football, I decided to have a pour of Russell Reserve Single Barrel and it was sublime.  When I opened it I was just "meh" about it, but last night it was wonderful,  Spice, but not too much.  A bit of fruit, but not too much, very thick mouth feel, bordering on "creamy".  Just absolutely perfect.  The pour was over way to quickly and so I decided I would stay with WT and go with WTRB.  It was such a huge letdown.  I almost decided to toss it and go back to the RRSiB, but soldiered on and finished the pour which also ended my night.  But the chase for bourbon nirvana didn't end there as today I found myself poking around on Rarebird101.com, and trying to decide if I could duplicate last night RRSiB with a similar bottle.  This led to trying to understand the locations of WT warehouses, bottling dates,...it made me dizzy with all the subjective data.  So I went out to find a PS of RRSiB, and I found one with similar background, I think.

Will do a SBS in a couple weeks after this bottle has been open and had time to open up like the one I have open now.  

The old bottle:  

20211102_152435.thumb.jpg.0bcce4b5591832454b35eb7cb583d1df.jpg

the new bottle:

20211102_152404.thumb.jpg.e1ff83679f95de69e506c459bdfa74e7.jpg

To paraphrase Roger Daltrey, "Meet the new bottle, same as the old bottle"  Or close enough.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

To paraphrase Roger Daltrey, "Meet the new bottle, same as the old bottle"  Or close enough.

Any reference to The Who 👍👌!

• I like it 3

Picked up a BT and a Saz Rye but yall have seen those before so I’ll post my other purchases from today.

A58ABCD7-9BDF-44D1-945A-54247D18DF66.jpeg

• I like it 12

Just now, FasterHorses said:

Picked up a BT and a Saz Rye but yall have seen those before so I’ll post my other purchases from today.

Oh so close to hazmat! 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

139.9 proof JD is almost like two bottles in one.

• I like it 4

Shows over….. back to teh region 

I already transported 1 box with all the AA and QH liters, these are the dregs left on the bar 😆 

5943C28E-1289-448F-B562-78B515FA7111.jpeg

Visiting the folks in Va. Beach and hit the package store at Little Creek, (Amphib base in Norfolk).

Probably overpaid for the McKenna, ($41.00),  and the  Blade & Bow ,($49.00), but the WT101 rye was only $22.00. The Ardbeg An Oa was $58.00.  It's always fun, because the stock changes, and they have crazy good deals, (sometimes). It's like a treasure hunt.

Tax-free, of course. 😉

20211104_164334.jpg

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Mmmmmm!!!   I love JD barrel proof whiskey!  Love it!    The Single Barrel Barrel Proof is one of the most underrated and very reasonably priced barrel proofers out there.  I bet that Special Release is phenomenal.    Please share your tasting notes when you crack it.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Visiting the folks in Va. Beach and hit the package store at Little Creek, (Amphib base in Norfolk).

Probably overpaid for the McKenna, ($41.00),  and the  Blade & Bow ,($49.00), but the WT101 rye was only $22.00. The Ardbeg An Oa was $58.00.  It's always fun, because the stock changes, and they have crazy good deals, (sometimes). It's like a treasure hunt.

Tax-free, of course. 😉

A double wow here Rick. One is for the nice pick ups. 👍 The other is for the fact that when I was in the Army, I was stationed at Little Creek. I was stationed there from October of 1974 to April of 1975. Brings back some memories. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A double wow here Rick. One is for the nice pick ups. 👍 The other is for the fact that when I was in the Army, I was stationed at Little Creek. I was stationed there from October of 1974 to April of 1975. Brings back some memories. 😎

Biba! Joe

Small world.

Old Navy Brat here. Dad served for 35 years, and retired in Va Beach. 

Thanks for your service!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

...Probably overpaid for the McKenna, ($41.00), ...

In today's world here in Virginny that's super.  People line up 4 hours ahead of store opening to purchase at higher price than that, so's in today's world you did great.  I'm not embarrassed to say I'd try to grab 3 or more at that price when just little while ago it sat on shelf for $33.

• I like it 2

Finally buckled on the Little Book Chapter 5… helped by a friendly discount and my damned completist nature.

IMG_6976.thumb.jpg.b207af4f4de5b348affd5e90b17141f2.jpg

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

In today's world here in Virginny that's super.  People line up 4 hours ahead of store opening to purchase at higher price than that, so's in today's world you did great.  I'm not embarrassed to say I'd try to grab 3 or more at that price when just little while ago it sat on shelf for $33.

Thanks!    I would've bought more for friends, but there is a 1-bottle limit.   

I'm a cheap bastard and am often plagued with a case of  "buyers regret".   I hemmed & hawed about it, but pulled the trigger because it wasn't not obscenely overpriced.   Let's put it this way, I bought at $41.00 but would have passed at $42.00, (yeah...I'm that cheap 😆)   Once you hit those price points, there's a lot of better choices out there.   Honestly, I was more thrilled with the WT101 rye for $22.00.  I would've bought more, but I was flying this time, and only had room for 4 bottles.   

I love the package store.  It's like a flea-market for booze and you never know what you'll find.   They also had 750ml bottles of Woodford Reserve & Woodford Reserve Rye for $19.95.   Had I driven, I would've bought a case of each, (I'd have kept the rye and gifted the bourbon), and grabbed more WT101 rye.

The problem with the McKenna 10yr BIB is that it's inconsistent.  Over the years I've had good to great bottles.  It's a crap-shoot which I didn't mind back in the $30.00 screw-top bottle days.  $50.00 or more?  That's a hard pass.              

• I like it 4

Mrs. Clueby picked up the 2 on the left. I grabbed the 1 on the right with some help from a friend.

20211105_194423.jpg

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.