What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What a difference a week makes. We had to get groceries today to prepare for Thanksgiving. Of course I checked out the liquor department. Lo and behold, there was one lone ER on the shelf. Same price as the one I spotted in Wisconsin last week, $39.99. This one was for sale though. 🤨 

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.ddeb1b034c5599b13f02ed8e38adbdc9.jpeg

• I like it 6

Went to Bardstown Bourbon Company for lunch today with the wife, her cousin and spouse.  This was a "thank you" meal for a big favor they had done for us recently.  BBC restaurant was quite busy (we had reservations) but food and service was excellent as usual.  After lunch went over to the gift shop and picked up a bottle of Discovery #6.  It looked interesting so why not?  Here are a couple of photos:

E736C828-CF5F-40E1-B79D-F4880C11BBCD_1_201_a.jpeg

743A6AF2-F51A-460C-91D2-3523BE99F76A_1_201_a.jpeg

• I like it 6

So I didn't sleep overnight on a sidewalk in Virginia, but I did drive down pretty early in the morning. Sadly by the time I got my ticket all the bottles I was really interested in were spoken for. So I picked this up for a buddy of mine who I hunt with often.

IMG_20211120_170638.jpg

• I like it 7

2 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Hey, that is a nice bottle in and of itself.  I had one last year and really enjoyed it.

I'm really not that into wheaters. But my buddy is. I'm sure he will find lots more enjoyment out of it then I would. He gets a sweet bottle and I've earned some good karma. All while having an excellent time standing in line with other enthusiasts.

• I like it 4

Supposed to be willett but i dont think anyone has “officially” confirmed. It was a store pick from our local distributor. 

0EB6479C-06AF-4FCE-9081-60F230BFE24F.jpeg

• I like it 3

We had to go out again today to grab a couple of  things we forgot to pick up yesterday. 🙄 Our son and grand daughter went with us. Anyway, we had a good time. Picked up some other goodies as well. Not really bourbon, but the holidays are coming up. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8260f21911d981e8527c68a9cbf4fd52.jpeg

• I like it 3

54 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to go out again today to grab a couple of  things we forgot to pick up yesterday. 🙄 Our son and grand daughter went with us. Anyway, we had a good time. Picked up some other goodies as well. Not really bourbon, but the holidays are coming up. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8260f21911d981e8527c68a9cbf4fd52.jpeg

Hey, those are major awards!

• I like it 1

Picked up a store pick today. It's a wheated mash bill sweet mash. Caramel bomb on front palate with a baked bread (maybe shortbread?) finish that was unique. Tried it in the store and was sold. 

20211120_165618.jpg

• I like it 5

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Picked up a store pick today. It's a wheated mash bill sweet mash. Caramel bomb on front palate with a baked bread (maybe shortbread?) finish that was unique. Tried it in the store and was sold. 

20211120_165618.jpg

Now you have me questioning the difference between bread and shortbread.  😜

30 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Lol..I'm trying to put my finger on it. It's bread-like...but sweet. Does that make sense?  I'm not very good at describing what I taste.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Bread is bread.  Shortbread is a cookie, like a butter cookie.  No worries

• I like it 2

TN pickups.   A friend owns a liquor store in TN.  Was a nice day to ride over and pick up some things… while there and chatting it was interesting to watch the ‘hunters’ that were out.   Pretty much the same as lots do… anything in the back? got any Blantons, weller, btac, BT? No? Ok.. what about bombergers?  No?  Any other le stuff here?   No?   Ok.  Thx.. bye..

while there are plenty of things sitting right under their noses that aren’t on the cool guy list I guess.   E6A050AF-6D4B-42C8-A0F4-20C8BBBCE687.thumb.jpeg.64b8a31037a9b16f01b637739a7442d8.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 4

On 11/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, Richdel said:

Will do a SBS in a couple weeks after this bottle has been open and had time to open up like the one I have open now. 

I would love to know your thoughts on the Total Wine pick.  I have one from my local TW and am curious if yours is significantly different or better than the standard RR SiB.

Couldn't pass these up.  Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered Batch 106, 1792 Full Proof store pick, Remus Reserve V, ECBP C921.

11-20-21 Bottles.jpg

• I like it 3

58 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Couldn't pass these up.  Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered Batch 106, 1792 Full Proof store pick, Remus Reserve V, ECBP C921.

Hey Matt, where did you pick up the EC?  I didn't think it had hit the west coast yet.  It's been only about a month since B521 landed here in the Bay Area..

4 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

TN pickups.   A friend owns a liquor store in TN.  Was a nice day to ride over and pick up some things… while there and chatting it was interesting to watch the ‘hunters’ that were out.   Pretty much the same as lots do… anything in the back? got any Blantons, weller, btac, BT? No? Ok.. what about bombergers?  No?  Any other le stuff here?   No?   Ok.  Thx.. bye..

while there are plenty of things sitting right under their noses that aren’t on the cool guy list I guess.   E6A050AF-6D4B-42C8-A0F4-20C8BBBCE687.thumb.jpeg.64b8a31037a9b16f01b637739a7442d8.jpeg

Really?

They asked for all that BT stuff, but left BT experimental 12 year wheated sitting on the counter?

Smoke Wagon UC/UF is another popular “prize” that I’m surprised nobody grabbed while going down the list.

Edited by 0895

27 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Really?

They asked for all that BT stuff, but left BT experimental 12 year wheated sitting on the counter?

Smoke Wagon UC/UF is another popular “prize” that I’m surprised nobody grabbed while going down the list.

Yeah I was thinking the same. But if ones experience is only based on Facebook crotch shot photos then maybe the pictured bottles were overlooked.

The BT  was the only one of that batch that was in the back held for me.   The others were in the shelf or in a glass case in a corner.. 

I'm too lazy to separate the bourbon from the rye.

I bought these from a local LS, that's fast becoming my favorite. They have a knowledgeable staff, and let you try before you buy. 

I asked for a sample of the KC, and as he was pouring, I saw the EB, and asked for a taste. He had already poured the rye, then asked if I would prefer to try the rye first.

Ya gotta love that!

The rye was $39.00 and the Ezra Brooks was $37.00

20211121_121834.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm too lazy to separate the bourbon from the rye.

I bought these from a local LS, that's fast becoming my favorite. They have a knowledgeable staff, and let you try before you buy. 

I asked for a sample of the KC, and as he was pouring, I saw the EB, and asked for a taste. He had already poured the rye, then asked if I would prefer to try the rye first.

Ya gotta love that!

The rye was $39.00 and the Ezra Brooks was $37.00

20211121_121834.jpg

I was in there just yesterday. I ended up buying some of the discount rittenhouse.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I was in there just yesterday. I ended up buying some of the discount rittenhouse.

Whoever is selecting their barrels, (be it Petit Cellars, (or someone at the distilleries), is doing a great job. Every one that I've purchased has been very good and reasonably priced.

That KC rye pick, (at $39.99), should fly off the shelves.    I can't believe that they still have any JDSBBP picks left, especially priced $5.00 below the regularly priced bottles on their shelves. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Whoever is selecting their barrels, (be it Petit Cellars, (or someone at the distilleries), is doing a great job. Every one that I've purchased has been very good and reasonably priced.

That KC rye pick, (at $39.99), should fly off the shelves.    I can't believe that they still have any JDSBBP picks left, especially priced $5.00 below the regularly priced bottles on their shelves. 

I remember when most stores used to price their store picks a few bucks less than the regular bottles.  Then someone got the idea that they could charge more and people would pay and they did.  Now most stores follow this model. I miss those days.  Of course, store picks from most of the stores in my area fly off the shelves even at a premium.

• I like it 2

Picked up an Eagle Rare 10 yo for $34.99 + at Total Wine last night.  Going to turn it into Old Fashioneds on Thanksgiving.  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.