What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

42 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up an OFBB. It’s been about 2 years.

And a 4R’s store pick

D9A6AD08-5005-4BFF-8752-0D611B84548B.thumb.jpeg.88911a23fdca6c9a0287678642e2a2ad.jpeg 

Big Time Score!

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

My wife wanted to do some shopping today at the Navy exchange.  I'm glad that they sell liquor.  

IMG_20211126_093827718.jpg

What the heroes selection JD?

• I like it 1

On 10/31/2021 at 1:37 PM, GeeTen said:

It was another good day yesterday out west:

JM Cigar Blend and Stellum.jpg

Got lucky and managed to snare a bottle of Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend, Batch 57 (any comments on its origins, @Whiskey Bender?), a L&K pick of Stellum SiB Cask Strength (122.7 pf), and six (6) bottles of L&K SiBs from Wilderness Trail (2 ea. from barrels of high rye bourbon, wheater bourbon, and rye).  The ryes were the big winners with a 50:50 blend of the two barrels creating a fabulous microbatch that highlited the best of each barrel and made the whole even better than the very fine parts (IMHO, of course).   😇

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!  😉

Hey there @GeeTen, sorry I'm just now seeing your post. I assume you've already cracked into JMCB batch #57 by now? In my official tasting notes I gave that one the fanciful name "Charcuterie Board" because of all the jamon serrano, hard cheese, fig compote, Mission fig with balsamic vineger, and nut flavors I got off of it. The age range of the Bourbon I chose for it are between 14 and 20 years old. 

I hope that helps? At any rate, hope you're having a great Thanksgiving weekend, and cheers! 🥃🥃

Nancy

• I like it 6

On 11/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, TwoFingers said:

My wife wanted to do some shopping today at the Navy exchange.  I'm glad that they sell liquor.  

IMG_20211126_093827718.jpg

Whenever I visit the folks in Va Beach,  we hit the package store at Little Creek. Sometimes they have amazing deals. Even when they don't,  the pricing is good for a lot of stuff. 

On 11/27/2021 at 12:59 AM, LvR Mike said:

What the heroes selection JD?

They have a veteran select the barrel that gets released.  I hadn't seen it before.

1 minute ago, markandrex said:

Passing through Bardstown today and these guys followed me home.

3610715D-7652-42DD-BB24-6A2A9AFF7D0F.jpeg

Double grenades!  You always do well, my friend!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Fire in the hole!!

I think these are just a perfect distillery only release. $35 is a great souvenir price and the whiskey drinks so fruity and bright and feels like it’s much lower proof than 125.

• I like it 3

Woodman's didn't have either bottle of what I went there for, so a RR10 came home with me. First impressions OK, but less than stellar; hope it gets better with some air.

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

I don't know what these are but I love these for you.

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I don't know what these are but I love these for you.

These are only available at the distillery. Someone nicknamed them grenades. They’re basically EC barrel proof. They come in 200 ml bottles  @ 125 proof.   I’ve only had a couple of bottles from EC barrel proof batches, and thought they were just okay. For some reason, I like the EC grenades. For me, and probably a number of other folks, it’s become somewhat of a tradition to buy one on trips to KY.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I know it ain't bourbon,  but I was in the neighborhood and snagged another JDSBBP store pick. This is a stellar pick and a great price, ($69.99). I get one every time I stop by. The EB is another excellent pick and priced right ($37.99).

Thanks to a tip from @Rhettro, I picked up 4 bottles of Old Tub at a state store in PA, for $16.99 each. One of them appears to have sprung a leak😎

20211201_113801.jpg

• I like it 5

Not to stir the pot, but JD meets all the TTB requirements for Bourbon.  They just don't put it on the label, supposedly for marketing, and to make the brand stand out. :ph34r:

• I like it 2

On 12/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

These are only available at the distillery. Someone nicknamed them grenades. They’re basically EC barrel proof. They come in 200 ml bottles  @ 125 proof.   I’ve only had a couple of bottles from EC barrel proof batches, and thought they were just okay. For some reason, I like the EC grenades. For me, and probably a number of other folks, it’s become somewhat of a tradition to buy one on trips to KY.

Biba! Joe

I went to the HH distillery in March and there was NOTHING out besides their basic entry entities like, EC SmB, EW1783, Rittenhouse BiB, Larceny SmB, etc. For instance, there was nothing out that was even remotely cool like the basic ECBP. I've never seen a Larceny BP in my area so I was kinda excited to finally get one. I thought, the distillery must surely have one for sale. Nope, not there either.

Anything "unique" was only available in the morning and it was first come first serve. Is this something you had to lineup for in the morning or you could grab one anytime?

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to HH. I’m not sure what their current procedures are. I do know that they implemented a one bottle limit on some things. I believe that the one bottle limit may possibly be one per year. (?) I’m  not sure if that pertains to the grenades though. Maybe another member here could verify this. I will say that the last time I was there it was crazy. The visitor center was extremely crowded, and people were all lined up waiting to try and get bottles at the counter. I was there with another member here, and we had just finished a tour. I walked up near the counter to ask one of the employees there a question. I was verbally assaulted by one “asshat” in line. He very loudly yelled at me, “What the hell do you think your doing? Get to the back of  the line!” 🤬 I didn’t want to cause a scene, so I kept my cool and didn’t say anything. Looking back on it, I wish I’d have said, “Here, hold this for me.” 🖕

Also, and FWIW, BT has also implemented a limit on some of the items available at their gift shop. That limit is one bottle every 3 months. I’m not 100% sure about this next part, so please don’t quote me. I heard a rumor that they may have tried a one bottle limit per day first, but they noticed that some people were coming back day after day.  Sooooo………. 🙄

Biba! Joe

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to HH. I’m not sure what their current procedures are. I do know that they implemented a one bottle limit on some things. I believe that the one bottle limit may possibly be one per year. (?) I’m  not sure if that pertains to the grenades though. Maybe another member here could verify this. I will say that the last time I was there it was crazy. The visitor center was extremely crowded, and people were all lined up waiting to try and get bottles at the counter. I was there with another member here, and we had just finished a tour. I walked up near the counter to ask one of the employees there a question. I was verbally assaulted by one “asshat” in line. He very loudly yelled at me, “What the hell do you think your doing? Get to the back of  the line!” 🤬 I didn’t want to cause a scene, so I kept my cool and didn’t say anything. Looking back on it, I wish I’d have said, “Here, hold this for me.” 🖕

Also, and FWIW, BT has also implemented a limit on some of the items available at their gift shop. That limit is one bottle every 3 months. I’m not 100% sure about this next part, so please don’t quote me. I heard a rumor that they may have tried a one bottle limit per day first, but they noticed that some people were coming back day after day.  Sooooo………. 🙄

Biba! Joe

HH has started announcing via FB the limited selection they will have for the next day.  That is all they have available that day from a limited perspective. For instance today I think it's just ECBP. They don't even have grenades every day. For the OFBIB, PHC, or higher releases I believe it is one and done on how many you can buy in a year.  There was no WHH, EW23, or anything else.  

BT releases one allocated item a day....ER,  Baby Saz, WSR, Blanton's,  or EHTSmB until it's gone for the day. It usually runs out around noon on B or EHT.  Occasionally they will restock and very occasionally they will put something else out (ie wsr and er on same day). Some people have had luck with the item of the day saved for their tour group at the end and others haven't.  You are limited to one of each the allocated bottles every 3 months. Regular BT and bourbon cream are 1 per day.

Thanks Tim. Looks like I wasn’t too far off. The last time I was at HH, they were just starting the visitor center expansion. :o They had another counter set up way down the hall in front of the theater. The grenades were available there, but you had to ask.

How’s the visitor center look now? 

Biba! Joe

I went to pick up some EW 1783 and noticed an even better sale.  I paid 🥁 $13.59, even left several on the shelf, for good karma. 🥳

• I like it 6

9 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I went to pick up some EW 1783 and noticed an even better sale.  I paid 🥁 $13.59, even left several on the shelf, for good karma. 🥳

image.jpeg.fe3837b9412d0e85ae0575aaa2109979.jpeg

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Good/lucky timing on my part: Blanton's at $54 (not my fave but had too), and a couple CEHT single barrels at $69. 

• I like it 6

Silly games, but had to know the secret password to get the clerk to give up the BT…fun state run NC liquor….

DEE8620E-8206-44F2-BFFB-CDDB05E07155.jpeg

• I like it 3

Found out that my county stores will be offering some allocated bourbons to the masses next week.  I am guessing that their stores will be overrun by those looking for stuff like Blantons.  I figured it might be wise to pick up a couple things before that.  I ended up with an OGD 114 and a FC.  Thought maybe the FC would be the way to go while I pull up a chair and watch the frenzy. 😁

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.