What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Very stoked here! I've been wanting one of these for quite a while. Merry Christmas to me! 

image.gif.90da73d8852fbb165ee6dd553cba6990.gif

Way to go Mike!  👍

Biba! Uncle Joe

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've only tried PVW23 once, but I was actually surprised that I DIDN'T find it overoaked.   I thought it was really well balanced. Had a buttery-ness to it and lots of sweetness, and yes a lot of oak but not over done (to me). I'll admit I'm a fan of oaky bourbons, though 

Same boat over here.  I had my first sip this summer and was really hoping it would not live up to the hype so I could move on.  Nope, your buttery sweet description is spot on.  And just a beast across all three aspects of nose, palate, and finish with no weak spots.  The bottle is going waaay to fast though (those little nips add up and I had to share with my LS)  so now its tucked in the back where I can forget about it for the winter.  

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've only tried PVW23 once, but I was actually surprised that I DIDN'T find it overoaked.   I thought it was really well balanced. Had a buttery-ness to it and lots of sweetness, and yes a lot of oak but not over done (to me). I'll admit I'm a fan of oaky bourbons, though 

Same.  I am on the hunt for old(er) KC SiB expressions.  Kicking myself for passing on them when they were $45ish, the oak expressions from these is just marvelous.

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Galvin0791 said:

Very stoked here! I've been wanting one of these for quite a while. Merry Christmas to me! 

20211211_193611.jpg

Nice... Got the call from one of my LS that they had a Batch 59, MI only release waiting for me... Opened it up with the owner and shared the first pour... Another great release... Will have to compare with the first MI only batch

• I like it 1

Barrell Craft Spirits Cask Strength 15yr Bourbon (100.4 pf)!  A blend of three (3) 15+yr bourbons distilled in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana  (MGP?).  A thank-you gift (not a purchase!) from a local bourbon friend for some serious personal help.  😇

Barrell Bourbon 15yr.jpg

Lower proof seemed to offer much more of the bourbon sweetness than heavy oak from 15 year old barrels.  Yummo!   😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 9

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Barrell Craft Spirits Cask Strength 15yr Bourbon (100.4 pf)!  A blend of three (3) 15+yr bourbons distilled in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana  (MGP?).  A thank-you gift (not a purchase!) from a local bourbon friend for some serious personal help.  😇

Barrell Bourbon 15yr.jpg

Lower proof seemed to offer much more of the bourbon sweetness than heavy oak from 15 year old barrels.  Yummo!   😋

Passed by these with a lot of interest. Let us know how she drinks.

Y’all know the deal. Out and about today, so I had to stop. I didn’t have to buy anything, but I did. 🤫 As long as MM 101 is on the shelf and the price doesn’t go up, I’ll probably buy one whenever I finish one. Five now in the bunker and one open. As with my recently purchased MM’s, my gal in Loretto dipped this one too. 😘

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.40bbfea6c9b60f29a815913dbe6f3b3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b9f185e8b8acbeb3ae0a372ba41211f1.jpeg

• I like it 7

I’ll chalk this up under karma, helped in cleanup efforts today, walked into near by liquor store and,

6A9E0EB8-B6AE-453F-A814-A4C8415029F9.jpeg

• I like it 12

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

I’ll chalk this up under karma, helped in cleanup efforts today, walked into near by liquor store and,

Congrats on the bottle. Bigger kudos for lending a helping hand to those in need. Bless you sir. 

Joe

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Y’all know the deal. Out and about today, so I had to stop. I didn’t have to buy anything, but I did. 🤫 As long as MM 101 is on the shelf and the price doesn’t go up, I’ll probably buy one whenever I finish one. Five now in the bunker and one open. As with my recently purchased MM’s, my gal in Loretto dipped this one too. 😘

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.40bbfea6c9b60f29a815913dbe6f3b3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b9f185e8b8acbeb3ae0a372ba41211f1.jpeg

I've only bunkered two, but I keep thinking I ought to get a couple more. It's the first wheater I've really loved since OWA 7/107 was a regular pour for me. It has that same balance for me of chewy baked goods, spices, and cherries. This and the MMCS may make me a wheater fanatic yet.

• I like it 3

Scored a Weller touchdown today. Picked up WLW along with a rainbow of tastynest (probably not a word), black, blue and red. Big score but around here they go fast. Could have probably gotten a white one too but opted for my Christmas cheer ETL. That should close the books on whiskey buying in 2021.

• I like it 13

Got inspired by the run on MM101 and saw this dusty guy that someone mentioned somewhere (real helpful, I know) that OO is worth trying so I grabbed it too.

4BB6E3E8-A4D1-43B4-B78F-0F122B059F44.jpeg

Edited by LvR Mike
Typo
  • I like it 8

A FedEx Care Package arrived yesterday with these beauties from a fellow SB'er in Illinois, highlighting his prowess in barrel selections with Kenwood Liquors!

IL Haul.jpg

The ER10 and "baby" Blanton's grenade look yummy, but will you look at the color on the CEHT SiB - wicked dahk!  🥰

Many thanks, my friend.  Hope to see you in March.   😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 13

On 12/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Galvin0791 said:

20211211_193611.jpg

You guys inspired me to look at my bunkered Cigar Blend.   I drank one and bunkered one.    Was soooo good!  To my surprise I have a batch with no proof or batch number on the bottle.   Anyone experience that or remember what batch that may have been?   Maybe a Nancy question??

I had a small Christmas miracle today.  About 4 weeks ago, my local told me he was hoping to sell his two barrel selections of Elijah Craig soon.  One was the 94prf small batch, and the other was a Elijah Craig Barrel proof.  3 times a week I would stop by only to find neither of the EC barrel selections for sale.  10 days ago when I stopped by I saw the owner and he told me that both had been released on December 3.  Sure enough I saw the display for the small batch EC, but none of the ECBP.  When I asked him if he still had any, he chuckled and said both stores had soldout in under a hour, the store I was at in under 30 minutes.  He did tell me that 5-7 bottles had been reserved and hadn't been picked up yet.  He took my name and number and said he would call in a week or so if they didn't stop by to pick up (and pay for ) their bottles.  That was the call I received this morning, one last bottle had become available.  I rushed over to pick it up and was very grateful for the early Christmas present.  Seems a customer had reserved a bottle and also showed up that morning to pick one up in person.  When he was called earlier this week he told the owner he already picked up his bottle in person.  It was a barrel that was split between the owner of the LS and a private individual, so the onwer only had 60 bottles for 2 stores.

As I said earlier, I didn't know they did private selections of barrel proof Elijah Craig.  This one is 140.2 proof, and 10 years of age.  It will be opened within the week to celebrate the holidays and our family's good fortune as the kids will be home for Christmas.

20211215_160642.thumb.jpg.f1594e6f6dcd27358e4c10148f5d2228.jpg20211215_160656.thumb.jpg.7a3561dd327ab94e39ed17a23b84f211.jpg

• I like it 17

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

I had a small Christmas miracle today.  About 4 weeks ago, my local told me he was hoping to sell his two barrel selections of Elijah Craig soon.  One was the 94prf small batch, and the other was a Elijah Craig Barrel proof.  3 times a week I would stop by only to find neither of the EC barrel selections for sale.  10 days ago when I stopped by I saw the owner and he told me that both had been released on December 3.  Sure enough I saw the display for the small batch EC, but none of the ECBP.  When I asked him if he still had any, he chuckled and said both stores had soldout in under a hour, the store I was at in under 30 minutes.  He did tell me that 5-7 bottles had been reserved and hadn't been picked up yet.  He took my name and number and said he would call in a week or so if they didn't stop by to pick up (and pay for ) their bottles.  That was the call I received this morning, one last bottle had become available.  I rushed over to pick it up and was very grateful for the early Christmas present.  Seems a customer had reserved a bottle and also showed up that morning to pick one up in person.  When he was called earlier this week he told the owner he already picked up his bottle in person.  It was a barrel that was split between the owner of the LS and a private individual, so the onwer only had 60 bottles for 2 stores.

As I said earlier, I didn't know they did private selections of barrel proof Elijah Craig.  This one is 140.2 proof, and 10 years of age.  It will be opened within the week to celebrate the holidays and our family's good fortune as the kids will be home for Christmas.

Wow...140.2.....Hazmat!  A little younger than regular release ECBP, which still carries the 12 year age statement.  Interested to hear your review once you crack it open.  I haven't seen any barrel picks of barrel proof yet.

My first MI JMMHC, soon to be opened.

92A1B873-EEAA-4EB8-B9A2-70A629BB70BD.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 8

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

20211215_160642.thumb.jpg.f1594e6f6dcd27358e4c10148f5d2228.jpg20211215_160656.thumb.jpg.7a3561dd327ab94e39ed17a23b84f211.jpg

The label on this is awesome!  Dumb question, what does "design prosody" mean?

57 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

The label on this is awesome!  Dumb question, what does "design prosody" mean?

Not a dumb question at all.  I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

A google search brought up a LinkedIn profile of a local (Wilmington, DE ) design firm.

Maybe they were involved in the design of the label(s)....?

Here is the About us:  

About us

We build products + brands powered by purpose. Whether we’re bringing brands to life or developing and bringing products to market – we ensure all elements work together to win hearts + minds and create tangible results.

It looks like luck was with me this year. My name was drawn for a lottery of Pappy/BTAC. Ya’all can probably guess what I picked. 😁 FWIW, it seems I get my name drawn every other year. I got a 2019 WLW two years ago. Last year I got one, but not in a lottery. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. As I’ve often said, “Every once in a while.” 

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5dcaf554379fb4291cd7ff158350aa17.jpeg

• I like it 25

I made a couple of stops today on the way to do more clean-up.  Some nice 6th tier 4R.  I never had DS but it was a 16 year LB pick.  The FAE-02 is a backup and the JD was because of talk here.  I have too many bad memories from college but that has been a long time to hold a grudge.  The Starlight is from Huber Distillery in IN.  My oldest son gave me a couple bottles a few years ago and I got hooked.  Really nice place that puts out some nice stuff.  Also a great farm-to-table restaurant.

All of these are for a Holiday Open House on Christmas Eve.  Always friends, co-workers and way too much food.  

The wife and I decided to have the party but forego gifts and donate to the recovery , my boys agreed.  I could not be prouder.

9038544E-C317-425A-97CB-14A108B8711F.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.