What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, markandrex said:

I added one more bottle after dinner.  We went out for Mexican to support a local who had one of their locations trashed.
 I stopped by a LS that is about 200 yards from the hardest hit area in town.  You can actually see where the neighborhood was from their parking lot.  They had some minor roof damage but nothing serious, amazing.

I was talking to the owner about clean-up and he walked into the back.  He came out with this, no charge, he insisted.

EF174C6C-47AA-4AB6-B28D-F74E0F497711.jpeg

Well done!

21 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Everytime i give an ETL or W12 away a new one appears. This one appeared Tuesday.  The PH11 was sitting right there on the shelf tonight.. nearly crapped my pants. 

9FC76EE6-40BD-4AD7-BB88-0F8C8BDF358E.jpeg

Killing it! Enjoy those brother!

• I like it 1

No flashy score for me today, but I’m happy with this one for $25. I suppose it’s at least 4 years old because it’s straight and there’s no age on the label. It came in hot but a little ice tamed it nicely. Some “Brown Sugar” by The Rolling Stones is pairing perfectly. 

4B9519CA-91C8-49A6-AD74-E7CBF658FC86.jpeg

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

No flashy score for me today, but I’m happy with this one for $25. I suppose it’s at least 4 years old because it’s straight and there’s no age on the label. It came in hot but a little ice tamed it nicely. Some “Brown Sugar” by The Rolling Stones is pairing perfectly. 

4B9519CA-91C8-49A6-AD74-E7CBF658FC86.jpeg

I’ve been curious about this one. I’ve only heard about it being released in IN. Would you buy it again? 

43 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I’ve been curious about this one. I’ve only heard about it being released in IN. Would you buy it again? 

Yes. It’s very comparable with WT101 which is the measuring stick for me when it comes to flavor and value. I would however try the Benchmark BiB before buying another FP if given the chance. 

Edited by CUfan99
typo

One of the local grocery retailer was running a 30% off sale.  Their prices are already the lowest in the area.  Making it an even better sale, they placed several bottles on sale before the sale. So, Cheap Bastard made a bourbon run.  While prices vary by region of the country, I thought I would share a few since it was like stepping back 10 years in time.  It also shows you can get really great bourbon for a reasonable price, even in today's market.

Rare Breed $32.87

Four Roses SiB $30.07

OF100 $18.18

WTR101 $17.48

WT101 $13.98

The store was packed and there were 5 employees constantly unboxing liquor.  They told me this will be their weekend.  One worker was kind enough to scout around in the back and found a few bottles of the Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye.  I told him yes please.  I always chat up these folks - not about liquor but anything - and let them know how much I appreciate them.  I actually pass several of the other stores in this chain to visit this store because of they have a great selection that rivals most liquor stores and because the workers are always so pleasant.  

I picked up several bottles for Christmas gifts for my immediate co-workers.  It has been a long year and we have worked hard so I thought I would surprise them with some bourbon and wine.

Don't get me wrong, Cheap Bastard will pay up for more unique bottles.  I plan to hit another retailer's 25% off sale tomorrow.  This retailer is a liquor chain so they have a wider selection.

• I like it 11

On 12/16/2021 at 8:07 PM, mbroo5880i said:

They were bottling Blanton's last time I was there.  However, they had several cases of WLW in the same room.  Freddie told us none of those would be going home with us that day.

They have to keep the WLW ready to express ship to Rockford, IL - when Joe speed dials and clears his throat. 🤣

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

apologies for bad pic.  I used to be serious amateur photo guy, time to return to it.  the alberta is most recent release in their cask series, release #3 ? which rumor says is a good one.  I'm excited by the JD at +140 proof and looking forward to sampling  

1258717010_DSCN8702(2).thumb.JPG.5c7a55fe9ab55ab87e9825b556ed1fac.JPG

Nice pickups. 

I wanted to score a Coy Hill myself but alas I didn't go out and beat the bushes so I missed out, because they came and went recently.  I had good luck with last year's JD BP Rye but I had to work for it and this year I just didn't get around to it early enough. 

Whenever you get around to cracking it do let us know your impressions.

Pickups the past week include 2021 4RSmBLE, MM FAE-02 and a handle of WT101 from a couple of years back when the jug actually had a handle.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

One of the local grocery retailer was running a 30% off sale.  Their prices are already the lowest in the area.  Making it an even better sale, they placed several bottles on sale before the sale. So, Cheap Bastard made a bourbon run.  While prices vary by region of the country, I thought I would share a few since it was like stepping back 10 years in time.  It also shows you can get really great bourbon for a reasonable price, even in today's market.

Rare Breed $32.87

Four Roses SiB $30.07

OF100 $18.18

WTR101 $17.48

WT101 $13.98

The store was packed and there were 5 employees constantly unboxing liquor.  They told me this will be their weekend.  One worker was kind enough to scout around in the back and found a few bottles of the Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye.  I told him yes please.  I always chat up these folks - not about liquor but anything - and let them know how much I appreciate them.  I actually pass several of the other stores in this chain to visit this store because of they have a great selection that rivals most liquor stores and because the workers are always so pleasant.  

I picked up several bottles for Christmas gifts for my immediate co-workers.  It has been a long year and we have worked hard so I thought I would surprise them with some bourbon and wine.

Don't get me wrong, Cheap Bastard will pay up for more unique bottles.  I plan to hit another retailer's 25% off sale tomorrow.  This retailer is a liquor chain so they have a wider selection.

As a fellow cheap bastard,  I'm impressed.

How much, if you don't mind my asking, was the Rare Breed rye?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Rare Breed $32.87

Four Roses SiB $30.07

OF100 $18.18

WTR101 $17.48

WT101 $13.98

Insanely good prices.  I have seen a better price of 4RSiB once (in Kentucky) and WT101 Rye (here in Texas).  But I've never ever seen Rare Breed or WT101 anywhere close to that.  I'd have to back my truck up to that store if I ever came across that.

• I like it 1

You all better believe I was at that grocery same store sale today.  At one store I had the liquor department manager hold OF 100 for me.  She even managed to find a couple with the free old fashioned mix.  I wouldn't have even thought to ask, nice.

Then I drove up the road to another location, and got Rittenhouse and WT 101.  The different locations don't stock all the same items.

I left behind cases of BT.  Even on the cheap <$20, I still prefer those listed above.

Also left behind MM 101, which I really like, but have several bunkered.

• I like it 2

The first stop today was for the MMPS, and the next stop I grabbed a WTRB that was on sale plus the ECBP. I paid a little more than I usually pay for the ECBP, but I didn't have to drive all over the country side to find one, so I call it a break even.

20211218_160048.jpg

• I like it 3

Yeah, I know I don’t need any more bourbon, but I figured I may as well try and top off the bunker before the end of year. Some excuse beats none huh? 🤔 I passed on a couple of things today (see my post in the What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today thread), but I saw an OF set on sale for $39.99. I figured why not since I’m a fan of OF. Again, some excuse beats none.🤫 Besides, the price for the  three 375’s was cheaper than any one of the 750’s. What can I say?  Rhetorical question. Please don’t answer.🤪

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.e2f1f9d93f247373f57e7af51c780ad9.jpeg

• I like it 9

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yeah, I know I don’t need any more bourbon, but I figured I may as well try and top off the bunker before the end of year. Some excuse beats none huh? 🤔 I passed on a couple of things today (see my post in the What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today thread), but I saw an OF set on sale for $39.99. I figured why not since I’m a fan of OF. Again, some excuse beats none.🤫 Besides, the price for the  three 375’s was cheaper than any one of the 750’s. What can I say?  Rhetorical question. Please don’t answer.🤪

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.e2f1f9d93f247373f57e7af51c780ad9.jpeg

That's pretty cool.  I haven't this set before.  I would get one too if I saw it.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

As a fellow cheap bastard,  I'm impressed.

How much, if you don't mind my asking, was the Rare Breed rye?

It was $32.87.  Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye were both the same price.  I want to say the before sale price was $42.99.  I grabbed a bottle of each.  He only had a few bottles of each.  I wanted leave a few so others could grab something nice.  

I saw it at a couple other stores today.  One store had it for $52.99 and the other had it on sale for $42.99.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

That's pretty cool.  I haven't this set before.  I would get one too if I saw it.

One liquor store near me had OF twin packs for $69.99. The twin packs contained 750’s of OF 1910 and BIB. I almost caved and bought one a couple of times. The grocery store we went to today is known more for their produce, ethnic foods and a few other things. We went there to get some baking items  because my wife and grand daughter are gonna be baking Xmas cookies all day tomorrow. Their liquor department doesn’t have the best selection or prices, but I’ve stumbled on a few things there in the past. That was the case today with the OF set.

Biba! Joe

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One liquor store near me had OF twin packs for $69.99. The twin packs contained 750’s of OF 1910 and BIB. I almost caved and bought one a couple of times. The grocery store we went to today is known more for their produce, ethnic foods and a few other things. We went there to get some baking items  because my wife and grand daughter are gonna be baking Xmas cookies all day tomorrow. Their liquor department doesn’t have the best selection or prices, but I’ve stumbled on a few things there in the past. That was the case today with the OF set.

Biba! Joe

So Joe will be eating Christmas cookies and drinking bourbon tomorrow.  Plus getting to visit with your granddaughter.  Of course, the order may be different.  Win-Win-Win.   Maybe a nice meal worked in the mix too?

• I like it 1

Probably no bourbon, but maybe some BT Bourbon Cream either in my coffee or by itself. My wife is one helluva cook and baker, although she’ll deny it. I truly love it when she makes cookies, fudge, or her mini chocolate cheese cakes. Not only am I the taste tester, but I get to clean/lick the bowls, whisks and electric mixer attachments. Win! Win! Win! 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It was $32.87.  Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye were both the same price.  I want to say the before sale price was $42.99.  I grabbed a bottle of each.  He only had a few bottles of each.  I wanted leave a few so others could grab something nice.  

I saw it at a couple other stores today.  One store had it for $52.99 and the other had it on sale for $42.99.

Those are crazy good prices. 

I would have bought a case at $32.87.

Well done!

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I thought I got a good deal with only paying $39.99 for the Rare Breed, but you win. It's been a while since I bought one. The last time I purchased any was before the price hike and I only paid around $37. That same store did have Redwood Empire on sale too and I sampled the Pipe Dream for the first time. A bottle of that would have come home with me as well but they were out. I will go back this week and pick one up once they get more in stock.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I thought I got a good deal with only paying $39.99 for the Rare Breed, but you win. It's been a while since I bought one. The last time I purchased any was before the price hike and I only paid around $37. That same store did have Redwood Empire on sale too and I sampled the Pipe Dream for the first time. A bottle of that would have come home with me as well but they were out. I will go back this week and pick one up once they get more in stock.

Agreed.

Shit, I found them today for ~ $64.00 and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on 3 bottles.  It's the first time that I've seen it in months.  

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

You all better believe I was at that grocery same store sale today.  At one store I had the liquor department manager hold OF 100 for me.  She even managed to find a couple with the free old fashioned mix.  I wouldn't have even thought to ask, nice.

Then I drove up the road to another location, and got Rittenhouse and WT 101.  The different locations don't stock all the same items.

I left behind cases of BT.  Even on the cheap <$20, I still prefer those listed above.

Also left behind MM 101, which I really like, but have several bunkered.

A win as always!  Good bourbon doesn't have to be expensive!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.