What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a friend that owns a store call and tell me I should make a drive to see him. These were waiting for me… beyond stoked!

3AD99A2A-B223-4B6D-BEF0-47882DF14D15.jpeg

• I like it 27

On 12/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, PaulO said:

I left behind cases of BT.  Even on the cheap <$20, I still prefer those listed above.

I enjoy most BT products, but tend to find myself in the same boat that the regular old BT is rarely on my bar as I prefer OF100, WT101, and MM101 as my regular daily drinkers.

• I like it 5

Finished a really large buying spree, at least, for me by adding a few more bottles.  I went into a local chain store looking for a few higher end bottles at a 25% off sale.  They didn't have what I was looking for but I walked out with a few good bargains.  MM46 Cask Strength ($32.24), New Riff Store Single Barrel ($33.74) and EW1783 ($13.49).  

• I like it 6

12 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Had a friend that owns a store call and tell me I should make a drive to see him. These were waiting for me… beyond stoked!

OMG is that really an Eagle 17...wowser.

• I like it 3

40 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I'll second that - first one I have heard someone having!   Way to go!

16 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I was wondering if maybe it was from a year or two ago.

At some point, the number of those they bottle each year really dropped off.

I guess still slightly more available than the non existent GTS🦄

It's all academic to me.  I'll never see any of it except for photos.  Might as well be talking about the water on Mars. 🤔

• I like it 2

On 12/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, JT3NSB said:

That's a good friend.  Congrats!  The Eagle Rare 17 looks darker than past years...looks great!

• I like it 1

Cookie making/baking day today. Our daughter in law brought the grandkids over and they did cookies. I went out and bought more supplies. When my son got off work, he came over to check in. He also gave me a couple of early Xmas presents. 😀 Ho! Ho! Ho! 🎅

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a9d7bbe67877a8b23261a06635d9cd67.jpeg

• I like it 7

I like the RR 10 yr so much, that I figured that I'd give this one a try.

It was $5.00 off at the Va ABC store to boot😉

20211220_191215.jpg

• I like it 7

17 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

That's a good friend.  Congrats!  The Eagle Rare 17 looks darker than past years...looks great!

This years release is officially listed at 18.6yrs so that darker color certainly makes sense!

Picked up a dozen store picks. I was not involved with any of the selections. One bottle each of the Saz and Copper & Cask are for me, the other two of each are for . . . Others :)

The Mini ER are for Christmas gifts and whatever is leftover will be kept on hand for other gifting/party occasions down the road. 

6E9915FA-FCAD-4F7B-88F1-88650F44E5F0.jpeg

• I like it 10

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, mbroo5880i said:

A local retailer is offering KC12 for $49.99.  I grabbed one.  I am not sure if there is a limit but I noticed everyone in the bourbon area picked up only one bottle.  They have several cases and a large display.  

The same store had Basil Hayden's for $22.99.  I passed on it since a store closer to me has it for $23.99 so I didn't feel the need to pick one up today.

Are you willing to share that retailer's name?  Or is a Fox Paws to ask such a thing?  Still figuring out the etiquette.

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Are you willing to share that retailer's name?  Or is a Fox Paws to ask such a thing?  Still figuring out the etiquette.

I suggest doing such an ask through a one-on-one conversation using the SB message system which is accessed with that icon with two blank cartoon talk clouds on the upper right.  Some of these threads are available for nonmembers to read, and at least one local retailer told me, when I showed up late in the day after an SBer posted where to get something special, that some guy had come in a few hours earlier and bought all they had.   I don't know if it was a troll or if it was a SB member who really liked that LE - nevertheless . . .

OTOH, if it's a large retailer like Costco with lots of walk-in business, . . .

• I like it 3

Harry in DC,

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense.

I shared the McKenna info on a board here in PR shortly after I bought what I wanted.  Distributor likes me now, as they sold out.  The idea was "share" and have an "abundance mentality", but I get that someone might go a bit ape.  Thanks again.  Learning the ropes.

FWIW, the post by @mbroo5880i was from last October. Anything fairly decent doesn’t stay on the shelves very long. As @Harry in WashDC posted, once the word gets out about the “good stuff”, It’s apt to disappear rather quickly. The replenishment of such items can also be sketchy for a few reasons. Limited availability/distributor antics, and supply chain issues re: glass shortage can all be factors. Good luck.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Hi, yes, normally a private message is best just so a "lurker" who flips bottles doesn't snipe one of our members.   As @fishnbowljoe points out, these bottles are long gone.  However, it never hurts to ask.  😉

• I like it 1

Fishinbowljoe & mbroo5880i - thanks for the etiquette lesson.  It makes sense.  

I imagine I'm part of the problem (but only part).  While I have no intention of flipping & the like, and do not view myself as a tater, I am less price-sensitive than many people.  I'd rather spend extra dollars (up to a point) than spend extra hours.  So guys like me do put upward pressure on prices.

I still have enough Midwestern in me to not pay secondary market prices for things like Blanton's, etc.  I don't begrudge the people who mark it up (as long as it's real).  They are doing what we all do - charging the most they can for what they sell.  A pleasant side effect to the present frenzy is that the increasing demand is leading to increased supply in the form of new distilleries.  I do enjoy reading what you guys find, like, and recommend.  It is instructional and I appreciate it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.