What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, kemosabe said:

The 18 is a bit too oaky for me, so I left these two for you fellas.

IMG_3888.jpg

The psuedo-tater in me couldn't have resisted this I don't think.

• I like it 2

JD10. In a local I’ve been to once before. While paying for MM101, I was looking in the cabinet behind the counter where the allocated stuff is. Owner was at another counter, noticed me looking and asked if I was looking at the JD10. I said no, just looking at what’s there. He said he can get anything, and has some Wellers (plural), Pappys, Blantons, and more in the back that he doesn’t put out (have to ask). I didn’t want to get into those. Based on my last and only other time in this store, he was selling THH for $800. So I asked about the JD10 and he said $150, then said, since I’m such a good customer and he’s seen me in the store buying often, $100. I said thank you, no, just the MM101. 

• I like it 5

Passed on Little Book Chapter 5 out of sheer boredom-- this marketing exercise has run its course. Pitching Freddie Noe as a blending savant is as unnatural as the liquid itself.

• I like it 5

2021 GTS for $10,000.  Almost bought it, but didn't want to be part of a YouTube video.  Obviously a "bootlegged" Unicorn from the Buffalo Trace distillery, but very desireable and mighty rare!  🤣

Here we go Red Sox, her we go!     :wub:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

Stopped at Binny’s this afternoon. I had a coupon for $15.00 off a $75.00 purchase coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Well, on my phone. 😉 I had a couple of WW’s in my hands but put them back. I even passed on a Weller SR. I ended up walking out empty handed. :o Oh well…..

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Stopped at Binny’s this afternoon. I had a coupon for $15.00 off a $75.00 purchase coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Well, on my phone. 😉 I had a couple of WW’s in my hands but put them back. I even passed on a Weller SR. I ended up walking out empty handed. :o Oh well…..

Biba! Joe

I was at mine with the coupon and grabbed a BT, Saz, and a Dickel no. 12, which I've never had. 1st time they've ever had BT at mine; there was a spot for WSR, also for the first time, but it was empty.

I sometimes feel like Weller might just be an elaborate internet prank, like Australia's Drop Bears...

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I was at mine with the coupon and grabbed a BT, Saz, and a Dickel no. 12, which I've never had. 1st time they've ever had BT at mine; there was a spot for WSR, also for the first time, but it was empty.

I sometimes feel like Weller might just be an elaborate internet prank, like Australia's Drop Bears...

My Binny’s also had BT, but I already have a bunch. At our store, you have to ask about Weller SR. They don’t put it out on the shelf. 🙄 They did have a few interesting items in the locked case, but I’ve pretty much given up on taking a flyer on a lot of things, especially ones at higher prices. I’m a cheap old fart set in my ways. What can I say?  😏

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I stopped by a Total Wine in Natick cause I saw that they maybe had some Cigar Blend in stock. They didn’t. 

I passed on everything else. One of the more obnoxious things was Chestnut Farms bottle in bond for $89.99. I thought to myself, why the fuck would I drop that much on likely 4 year old whisky? (Sorry for the abrasive language)

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

I stopped by a Total Wine in Natick cause I saw that they maybe had some Cigar Blend in stock. They didn’t. 

I passed on everything else. One of the more obnoxious things was Chestnut Farms bottle in bond for $89.99. I thought to myself, why the fuck would I drop that much on likely 4 year old whisky? (Sorry for the abrasive language)

Did you check the DSP number.  At least then you could say 4 year old (insert name of distillery)! 🤬

TW had something like that - a bonded spirits direct brand for like $60 (Barton made).  I'm thinking, a few feet away is VOB 100 < $15.  crazy

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

2021 GTS for $10,000.  Almost bought it, but didn't want to be part of a YouTube video.  Obviously a "bootlegged" Unicorn from the Buffalo Trace distillery, but very desireable and mighty rare!  🤣

Here we go Red Sox, her we go!     :wub:

I think you made the right call.  I hear that it's not very good, subpar compared to other years.

Given they aren't releasing any 2021, I'd be very suspicious.

I saw the Benchmark line up for the first time today and vacillated between the Top Floor and the Full Proof.  Passed on the Full Proof, and went with the Top Floor.  Based on my positive experience with the TF, I’ll definitely try the FP next.  The pricing on each is very attractive.  

• I like it 5

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I saw the Benchmark line up for the first time today and vacillated between the Top Floor and the Full Proof.  Passed on the Full Proof, and went with the Top Floor.  Based on my positive experience with the TF, I’ll definitely try the FP next.  The pricing on each is very attractive.  

When I came across the line up, I went for the single barrel. Will buy more and branch out and try the other variants. 

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Did you check the DSP number.  At least then you could say 4 year old (insert name of distillery)! 🤬

TW had something like that - a bonded spirits direct brand for like $60 (Barton made).  I'm thinking, a few feet away is VOB 100 < $15.  crazy

Yep, crazy.  Just because they can put it in a bottle doesn't mean I'm going to pay their price.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Given they aren't releasing any 2021, I'd be very suspicious.

I know, thx.   🤪

I was at the local Costco today and they had the premium case full of unique bottles.  I know they had a higher end Whistle Pig, Kentucky Owl, Sam Houston 15, St. Nick.  All were in the $139 to $399 price range.  I don't recall the price of each so I don't know if any were available at a relatively good price.  None interested me.  But, I know they do interest others and Costco's prices are probably competitive.  

I passed on everything.  I spent the last two days in Charlestown, IN.  From one of the observation decks on the Ohio River (in the state park) I could see the bridge to Louisville, KY.  The whole point of the trip was to entertain my son on his fall break.  I figured it wasn't quite the right time, to drag son and wife down there, make them wait in the car while I made the rounds.  Two other thoughts occurred to me.  As far as desirable Bourbons, KY and IN stores have become almost the same.  (It's not like years ago.)  At some point, tolls started on the bridges.  They take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill. 🤬 What about all the taxes we pay at the DMV and on gasoline.  What happened to that money?

Regardless, we had a great time at Charlestown State Park.  We made the hike to Rose Island, and back, among other things - serious Kentuckiana adventure minus the Louisville.  On the way down stopped in Seymour.  On the way back stopped in Columbus.  

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, steven s said:

latest bookers at $91 among other things

The last Booker's I saw on the shelf (a month ago) was $129.  Easy pass.  I just don't understand why Booker's has become so prized by taters.  I recently watched a YouTube review of the latest batch and the guy went on for 3 or 4 minutes about how he searched all over town and, by an enormous stroke of luck, found one on the shelf at an off the beaten path LS; like it was BTAC or something.  Sigh...

• I like it 1

Early Times BiB, man this one is tough every time I see it. 2 things keep it at bay, first I already have an unopened in the bunker and a 3/4 full, second I have a large enough bunker of "favorites" that I am consciously looking to add only new bottles that for one reason or another look to be unique and interesting and most importantly GOOD, so I resist the temptation to add to something I already have. I am also curious what SAZ will do with ET. I was initially really irritated with the sale but given that ET will at some point be Barton distillate I have a hope that perhaps future ET BiB will be a widely distributed version of VOB BiB which I adored until SAZ dropped the BiB and pissed me off ( I like my damn BiBs!!! ). In any event, if it goes that way I would very interested and very pleased with future ETs but who knows? rolling the dice here.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Passed on a "slam dunk" MMCS.

20211015_175609.jpg

Whaaaaat? 🤪

Biba! Joe

Passed on OE7 Barrel Strength, which I like, at $69.99, which now seems to be the going rate near me unfortunately. 

Also passed on KC12, which I also really, really like, at $53.99 (if I bought 3, with the store's member program, otherwise $61.99 each, which is still good). Just wasn't ready to pull the trigger, as I was on another mission, but I may go back.

7 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Just wasn't ready to pull the trigger, as I was on another mission, but I may go back.

Another mission? 🤨 And just what might that have been? 🤔

Biba! Joe

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Whaaaaat? 🤪

Biba! Joe

Yeah I couldn't have passed on this.  I love MMCS, such a solid pour for the price and have been on the hunt for a slam dunk for a while.

I did pass on a SAOS Sarah bottle the other day.  I'd like to wait until they age a bit more than 5 years to pull the trigger.  That's also my same mentality for New Riff.  Good stuff now, better stuff in a few years potentially.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.