What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don’t need any more MM of any variety. I have a bunch. Still, I find myself looking at MM’s when I go to the store to see if there’s a slam dunk. I had a MM slam dunk liter and a MM distillery dispenser many years ago. They ended up with a member here who was a collector of all things MM. Now I wish I’d kept them. 😒

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

On 10/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, Kjbarth said:

JD10. In a local I’ve been to once before. While paying for MM101, I was looking in the cabinet behind the counter where the allocated stuff is. Owner was at another counter, noticed me looking and asked if I was looking at the JD10. I said no, just looking at what’s there. He said he can get anything, and has some Wellers (plural), Pappys, Blantons, and more in the back that he doesn’t put out (have to ask). I didn’t want to get into those. Based on my last and only other time in this store, he was selling THH for $800. So I asked about the JD10 and he said $150, then said, since I’m such a good customer and he’s seen me in the store buying often, $100. I said thank you, no, just the MM101. 

That's an easy pass.  Local had a bottle for $100.00, and all I could do is laugh.

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah I couldn't have passed on this.  I love MMCS, such a solid pour for the price and have been on the hunt for a slam dunk for a while.

I did pass on a SAOS Sarah bottle the other day.  I'd like to wait until they age a bit more than 5 years to pull the trigger.  That's also my same mentality for New Riff.  Good stuff now, better stuff in a few years potentially.

Same here, on all counts.   I do have a couple of SAOS barrel picks that are Sarah bottles.   I like 'em a lot, even at 5 years....

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I did pass on a SAOS Sarah bottle the other day.  I'd like to wait until they age a bit more than 5 years to pull the trigger.  That's also my same mentality for New Riff. 

I've got a 5yr Sarah bottle open right now and it's really pretty good.  Better than I expected for a 5yr.  But, it's a single barrel so there could be a lot of variation. 

I've not been super impressed by the New Riff bourbon releases that I've had.  Like you, I felt that it needed more age.  But they've been doing this for a couple of years now and they're still around 4yrs, I believe.  It doesn't seem like they're holding anything back. 

57 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I've got a 5yr Sarah bottle open right now and it's really pretty good.  Better than I expected for a 5yr.  But, it's a single barrel so there could be a lot of variation. 

I've not been super impressed by the New Riff bourbon releases that I've had.  Like you, I felt that it needed more age.  But they've been doing this for a couple of years now and they're still around 4yrs, I believe.  It doesn't seem like they're holding anything back. 

Yeah that’s not cool then. They have BIB for $40 here and it’s specifically stated to be only 4 years old. Now 6-8 years and I would bite.

For that price, I could buy 2x Heaven Hill BIBs that are probably older too. I’m all for new distilleries but I’m not about the craft mentality of too young and too expensive, it’s lame.

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another mission? 🤨 And just what might that have been? 🤔

Biba! Joe

It was crunch time to get in, grab a nice dry white for my beurre blanc, that I could also drink with it, and get out for daycare pickup. I made the mistake of the bourbon isle detour on the way to the register.

11 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

I made the mistake of the bourbon isle detour on the way to the register.

I’ve never done that. 🤔😬🤯🤥

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Same story, different day.  Went to a store that used to have competitive prices.  They are in a very competitive area of Indy.  For some reason, they have opted for a lot of barrel selections which are all priced above the standard offerings and even barrel selections by other retailers.  

It seems like every bottle and they have one of the larger selections of bourbon in my area seems to be about $4-10 more than other stores.

I passed on KCSiB @ $46.99.  I also passed on a couple of Tom Moore bottles in the low $60s.  I passed on everything else that was $4-10 over priced.

• I like it 2

A little off-topic, but I have noticed in my time on this forum that the "what bourbon did you pass on today" thread is about half the posts of the "what bourbon did you buy today" thread every month. I'm not saying, I'm just saying............

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, yobber76 said:

A little off-topic, but I have noticed in my time on this forum that the "what bourbon did you pass on today" thread is about half the posts of the "what bourbon did you buy today" thread every month. I'm not saying, I'm just saying............

image.gif.7d8e153595ee94262d9543de219e4170.gif

1 hour ago, yobber76 said:

So, what are you saying?

• I like it 3

Passing on everything for a while as I finally filled up my liquor cabinet!  I've finally hit (temporary) bourbon zen and it feels so good!

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Passing on everything for a while as I finally filled up my liquor cabinet!  I've finally hit (temporary) bourbon zen and it feels so good!

Sounds like you aren't "working" hard enough.  😁

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Okay, so whoever starts the pool, I’ve got 12 days. 😝

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I give it till the weekend

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I give it till the weekend

My wallet says otherwise as well as the square footage of our house lol. Going camping this weekend so will definitely buy beer but I’m going to try and hold out for the next few months and enjoy what I’ve got.

will let you know who wins/loses the bet.

43 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

My wallet says otherwise as well as the square footage of our house lol. Going camping this weekend so will definitely buy beer but I’m going to try and hold out for the next few months and enjoy what I’ve got.

will let you know who wins/loses the bet.

There are some nifty plastic, large, flask style bottles that are perfect for camping and hauling around.    They’re either 375 or 500ml.  Get a simple staple like EW Black.  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

There are some nifty plastic, large, flask style bottles that are perfect for camping and hauling around.    They’re either 375 or 500ml.  Get a simple staple like EW Black.  

Lol thanks for the tip Joe. I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to bring.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Lol thanks for the tip Joe. I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to bring.

AD4035D5-0EFA-4616-9F07-F1350A3B6506.thumb.jpeg.1c942653b2d6ef191581f01b1bd486fd.jpeg

On 10/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, PhantomLamb said:

... Going camping this weekend so will definitely buy beer...

if hiking backbacking, whiskey a lot less weight than case of beer.  just sayin'

• I like it 2

On 10/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Put me down for 10 days

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

Also passed on Booker's for $97. 

That's an easy pass.   

It's been an  easy pass since the the price went North of $60.00

• I like it 2

Passed on lots of really good bourbon over the past week.  Just scouting around to preplan my next bourbon purchases.  The fall is always a great time to buy bourbon.  Not every great release has to be Pappy or BTAC.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.