What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on lots of really good bourbon over the past week.  Just scouting around to preplan my next bourbon purchases.  The fall is always a great time to buy bourbon.  Not every great release has to be Pappy or BTAC.

Holiday gift boxes are on the way - free swag with your mainstream products.

• I like it 4

Back from camping, no winner so far. Stuck with beer and made old fashioned with OGD but didn’t bring it home with me.

In Orlando/Kissimmee for a conference.  Passed on BT $42 and the Blanton's wasn't for sale...for display only. 🤷‍♂️

Bought a WT101 for $20 instead.

• I like it 6

Hard to admit, but I passed on the latest ECBP release. I just felt like I didn’t need another as I have a C920 and B521 open at home. I did walk out with a Midwinter Night’s Dram, though. 

Edited by evasive
Typo

RVW Lot B 12 YR dropped today at a local store.  Got an email telling me I could buy one of the two they got for $1,350 plus local tax.  I passed.  As I type this, I am sipping on a KC SiB 9YR 120 proof I bought at just UNDER MSRP ($60) a couple months ago in order to make me "feel" better.   With a cube or two.  YUM!!

• I like it 10

Just now, Harry in WashDC said:

RVW Lot B 12 YR dropped today at a local store.  Got an email telling me I could buy one of the two they got for $1,350 plus local tax.  I passed.  As I type this, I am sipping on a KC SiB 9YR 120 proof I bought at just UNDER MSRP ($60) a couple months ago in order to make me "feel" better.   With a cube or two.  YUM!!

You, sir, know how to WIN at bourbon.

• I like it 2

I passed on OGD114 at $51.99 at one of the more reasonably price grocery stores today.  They also had Basil Hayden for $47.99.

A new Costco opened in the Indy area and they had a greater than usual selection (for Indy-area Costcos) of bourbon.  Costco's prices are usually 10 to 20 % lower than other retailer's regular prices.  The issue is variety and availability.  They had a few higher end bottles that I have also seen in other Costco's including Rare Perfection, Old St. Nick, St. Cloud, and LSB 20 year.  They may be good but not worth the price to me.

That's crazy on the OGD 114.  Price should be $25 or a little less.

My favorite shop on US 31 South had some of those Old St. Nicks - zero interest on my part.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

That's crazy on the OGD 114.  Price should be $25 or a little less.

My favorite shop on US 31 South had some of those Old St. Nicks - zero interest on my part.

The OGD 114 was at the Mxxxxr in Greenwood.  Not sure if this is the one you shop at.   The Old St. Nicks is everywhere.  I am with you - zero interest.  

I remember years ago really enjoying a 50/50 blend of OGD 114/Ritt BIB.  

I shop at that store sometimes.  I wonder if that price was a mistake.  Everything is usually right at MSRP there.    

I passed on a Knob Creek 15-yr at $100 today.  Sorely tempted, but too many reviews say it is over-oaked, and most reviews I have seen that compare 9, 12, and 15-yr do not choose the 15-yr as the best.  I texted my bourbon buddy from the store to see if he wanted it (only one in stock) and he said he and some friends have also done KC blinds and never chosen the 15-yr as the best.  I think I'd rather have 2 KC store picks for the price.  Or I can usually get Calumet 15 for around $15 more if I want a 15-yr.

• I like it 2

My wife and I had to make a trip out of town today. Along the way, we stopped at a store I haven’t been to in a couple of years. I passed on a couple of interesting  store picks that just weren’t in my wheelhouse. I also sadly passed on a OWA. I haven’t seen one in the wild for quite a while. I just couldn’t bring myself to shell out $97.99 for it. 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

Passed on High West Midwinter Nights Dram twice in Phoenix on Saturday.  Once at $139.99 and the next at $399.99!  

On 11/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I also sadly passed on a OWA. I haven’t seen one in the wild for quite a while. I just couldn’t bring myself to shell out $97.99 for it. 😬

We'll have you drinking WT101 in no time! :P

• I like it 3

Well, my wife and I took another drive today. This time up to Wisconsin. Stopped at a store in Oconomowoc. They had an ER along with some other things displayed in a nice glass case right by the front door. No prices. When I asked about it, the owner said it was $38.99, but it wasn’t for sale. 🤔. He was holding it for members of his “bourbon club”. Yes, a long conversation ensued. It was all I could do to keep my cool. Need I say more? 🤬 

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, my wife and I took another drive today. This time up to Wisconsin. Stopped at a store in Oconomowoc. They had an ER along with some other things displayed in a nice glass case right by the front door. No prices. When I asked about it, the owner said it was $38.99, but it wasn’t for sale. 🤔. He was holding it for members of his “bourbon club”. Yes, a long conversation ensued. It was all I could do to keep my cool. Need I say more? 🤬 

Biba! Joe

Ah the Mickey Mouse games. 🐂💩

If he's holding it for someone, put it in the office.  But I guess then he wouldn't get the chance to be a prick to folks that randomly walk in.

For that same money I can buy a bottle of Rare Breed.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Ah the Mickey Mouse games. 🐂💩

If he's holding it for someone, put it in the office.  But I guess then he wouldn't get the chance to be a prick to folks that randomly walk in.

For that same money I can buy a bottle of Rare Breed.

And a better choice!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, steven s said:

would anyone have bought this?IMG_7923.thumb.jpg.8cf217d1294d78bf507ac651c633a1db.jpg

Yes, for half that price.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

11 hours ago, steven s said:

would anyone have bought this?IMG_7923.thumb.jpg.8cf217d1294d78bf507ac651c633a1db.jpg

The absolute only way I'd consider it is if it were a store pick that I KNEW was a honey barrell coupled with if I didn't already have a turkey tail bottle. 

• I like it 2

Further enjoying zen, sort of, as I passed on OE7 @ $60. Even if I wasn’t with a full cabinet, I still think I would have passed. Just not worth it.

• I like it 2

I was thinking seriously of plunking down $130 or so today for a Sam Houston 15.   Instead I decided to spend the scratch on THIS.

20211113_174116.jpg

• I like it 9

HOLY PRICE-GOUGE, BATMAN!!  Here are TWO (2) (dos) (zwei) (duo)(due) [IN ANY LANGUAGE - 'tis the same!!] which any sane person other than a Tater (presuming they be sane) would pass on --

CEHT Small Batch (NOT Single Barrel, NOT delivered to my house by nekked humans, NOT in a 24 carat gold presentation box suitable for melting down, just ordinary SmB in its tube) offered $170+local tax which is about $90 than I will pay.

OF BirthBourb 2021, 104 proof, 12 year, 119 BBLs (not bottles) $1,300 per 750ml plus local tax.  Because I have no child/grandchild/wife born on April 16, 2009 (the date of barreling in Warehouse G), I have no interest.

• I like it 2

33 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

I was thinking seriously of plunking down $130 or so today for a Sam Houston 15.   Instead I decided to spend the scratch on THIS.

20211113_174116.jpg

You chose…wisely.  

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.