What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was on the swanky side of Indy today.  Yes, I realize that is like saying I chose McDonald's over White Castle but relative to my neck of the woods it was high brow. 

Anyway, they had Old Fitz 14.  I am too old with too poor of eye sight (joke...since my vision is 20/20) but the price looked to be $499.  

They also had 375 ml bottles of Old St. Nick "Lost Barrel" in really cool looking bottles for the low, low price of ....drum roll, please...$849.99.   Momma Mia.  Even Meryl Streep would have passed.  They had 5 bottles.  My wife asked who would drop coin on those bottles.  I told her after Drake just dropped a Milly at a strip club in Houston he might pop for these as party gifts.  Hey, probably a good price for 17 year old bourbon of unknown provenance.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was on the swanky side of Indy today.  Yes, I realize that is like saying I chose McDonald's over White Castle but relative to my neck of the woods it was high brow. 

Anyway, they had Old Fitz 14.  I am too old with too poor of eye sight (joke...since my vision is 20/20) but the price looked to be $499.  

They also had 375 ml bottles of Old St. Nick "Lost Barrel" in really cool looking bottles for the low, low price of ....drum roll, please...$849.99.   Momma Mia.  Even Meryl Streep would have passed.  They had 5 bottles.  My wife asked who would drop coin on those bottles.  I told her after Drake just dropped a Milly at a strip club in Houston he might pop for these as party gifts.  Hey, probably a good price for 17 year old bourbon of unknown provenance.

I've always wondered about those 375 - has anyone actually ever tried them?

16 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I was thinking seriously of plunking down $130 or so today for a Sam Houston 15.   Instead I decided to spend the scratch on THIS.

Grasshopper... Time for you to leave.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I was thinking seriously of plunking down $130 or so today for a Sam Houston 15.   Instead I decided to spend the scratch on THIS.

20211113_174116.jpg

I 100% agree with Smokinjoe. 

I was very underwhelmed with Calumet 15.

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

The tater-ness is very real even here on SB 😔.

21 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I 100% agree with Smokinjoe. 

I was very underwhelmed with Calumet 15.

Really?  I thought it was great.  I ordered it at a bar with a skeptical sneer (company tab) a few months back and found it to be surprisingly fantastic.  I'm usually first in line to shit on repackage NDP bottles but it was so good that I went out and bought a couple. 

• I like it 2

I agree @BigRich.   I have enjoyed the flavor profile of the calumet 15.  I hadn’t really enjoyed many Barton versions prior to this.   I guess they just needed to age to hit me right..

• I like it 1

Stopped into a local liquor store to pick up some sweet vermouth, it is Manhattan  season after all and checked out the bourbon selections. Eagle Rare @$48.99, yikes. I loved It at $29.99. Bought it up to $39.99 but had to pass at this level. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, RT Fan said:

Eagle Rare @$48.99, yikes. I loved It at $29.99. Bought it up to $39.99 but had to pass at this level. 

Don’t come to KY.

It is literally selling for $90+ a bottle here.  I witnessed it today.  Guy was excited to get it too.

For the record, I agree with you, but $50 isn’t terrible in today’s world.

• I like it 1

On 11/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, fosmith said:

Yup.  He has reached bourbon nirvana, picked up the brazier with his forearms, and done his time in the closet.  He needs no help when shopping for bourbon.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Don’t come to KY.

It is literally selling for $90+ a bottle here.  I witnessed it today.  Guy was excited to get it too.

wow. in KY? what a mess. It's been going up around here as well. Lucky timing for me I guess as I recently bought 6 packs of 2 different (wonderful) barrel picks. 

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

Don’t come to KY.

Bought a bunch of Wegman's SiB ER10s for $40 each OTD.  Great caramel "bombs" and worth every penny (IMHO, of course).  😋

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I saw a Jack Daniel's 10 Year today for $199.99. I left empty handed.

That's just flat out horrible pricing.

State price is 69.99 in Ohio - and people lined up hours in advance of release (like they do for many other things) to get it.

SIGH

17 hours ago, geclbxf said:

That's just flat out horrible pricing.

State price is 69.99 in Ohio - and people lined up hours in advance of release (like they do for many other things) to get it.

SIGH

I went on my normal journey of stores hoping to come across it. Went to like 10 or so stores and this was the only one I found, priced at $200. I didn't realize it was an allocated item? I don't know what I thought it was but I did not expect the faces of all the store owners when I asked them if they had one laying around.

With a control state price of about $70 plus tax o an item that could sell for more than double, I guess, that there is a brisk business for  these guys who wait in line for an our or two in re-selling these (and other) limited bottles to stores in non-control states.    And it should be a little less risky than selling to strangers, not to mention tax free income.

I stopped at Binny’s today to take a look see. Didn’t find anything, but I had a nice talk with one of the employees there that has helped me before. As I was headed out the door, I spotted an interesting decanter. The guy I had just talked to happened to see me and quietly said,“I really don’t think you want that.” I took his advice and passed on it. FWIW, the only reason I looked at it was that it resembled a Peterbilt truck, and I just recently retired from the parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a96dfa19db42ceec8ee1dfabe2b3ecb6.jpeg

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I stopped at Binny’s today to take a look see. Didn’t find anything, but I had a nice talk with one of the employees there that has helped me before. As I was headed out the door, I spotted an interesting decanter. The guy I had just talked to happened to see me and quietly said,“I really don’t think you want that.” I took his advice and passed on it. FWIW, the only reason I looked at it was that it resembled a Peterbilt truck, and I just recently retired from the parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a96dfa19db42ceec8ee1dfabe2b3ecb6.jpeg

what was in the decanter?

“American whiskey”?

I’ve actually driven a 379 Large car Pete, but that was a different lifetime ago.  Nice ride though.  🤠

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, 0895 said:

what was in the decanter?

“American whiskey”?

I’ve actually driven a 379 Large car Pete, but that was a different lifetime ago.  Nice ride though.  🤠

Cool on driving a Pete. 😎

Not sure exactly what it is.  It’s a one liter, 80 proof American Bourbon distilled in Indiana, so probably MGP. It’s aged for a minimum of 6 months(?) and reimported by Aiko Importers. 🤪

43 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not sure exactly what it is.  It’s a one liter, 80 proof American Bourbon distilled in Indiana, so probably MGP. It’s aged for a minimum of 6 months(?) and reimported by Aiko Importers. 🤪

yeah, that’s a pass.

What did you do for Paccar?

52 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

From the same fine folks that bring us the Deringer Bourbon, except this is much younger. 😬

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, 0895 said:

yeah, that’s a pass.

What did you do for Paccar?

I worked at the local Paccar Parts distribution center. 28 years of throwing truck parts. 😉 A couple of weeks after I retired, I was invited back for the 30th anniversary of the Rockford facility. A local dealership provided a Pete for display. The area behind our warehouse had just been repaved. The markings on the asphalt designate locations for truck cabs and hoods. 

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5e2c18d07a9182930f11a3ca02709150.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.488d04450d857cd0242861fffdb00801.jpeg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.