What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just passed on:

Stagg Jr.  $239.00

Blanton's  $199.99

ECBP  $89.00

Old Tub  $39.99

The Old Tub probably isn't too obscene.   I snagged one years ago when it was  a Beam distillery only offering, in one of those 375ml bottles.  I actually like it, but not sure if I like it enough to drop $39.99.

• I like it 1

They had a Warehouse C next to the register (no price). I inquired and got, “I’m looking for best offer.” I say, “You don’t know the price on your bottle?”. He said,” I’m looking for about $2K”. I shook my head and left, never to return.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Just passed on:

Stagg Jr.  $239.00

Blanton's  $199.99

ECBP  $89.00

Old Tub  $39.99

The Old Tub probably isn't too obscene.   I snagged one years ago when it was  a Beam distillery only offering, in one of those 375ml bottles.  I actually like it, but not sure if I like it enough to drop $39.99.

Old Tub is $16.99 a bottle in PA until the end of the year. It’s worth the drive up, and the gas money spent, to grab a few if you really dig it and have the time. 

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Old Tub  $39.99

Old Tub is decent but there are better bottles out there for under $20. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Old Tub is $16.99 a bottle in PA until the end of the year. It’s worth the drive up, and the gas money spent, to grab a few if you really dig it and have the time. 

Good to know.

I'll be up there for deer season and will grab a few.

At least I won't come back empty handed 😁

Thank you very much!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good to know.

I'll be up there for deer season and will grab a few.

At least I won't come back empty handed 😁

Thank you very much!

Welcome. Yeah I kinda enjoyed the bottle I had. A few pours were pretty delicious. Overall I was just above ok on it. But at $16.99, I still stocked the bunker for future Rhettro and my inevitable palate changes. 

Edited by Rhettro
  • I like it 2

On 11/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, smokinjoe said:

Duuuuuude!!!!  Welcome back!!! Good to hear from you! 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks! Good to poke my head in here. I never quit drinking bourbon, but the hobbyist side took a back seat for a few years for a variety of reasons. My bourbon buying habits never shifted much; I'm still a dedicated drinker of WT101, WT Rye, WTRBOGD BIB, and OGD 114. Oh, and Dickel 12. Beyond that, I'm dabbling in trying things that have hit the market the last few years and mixing in some HH products (I'm mightily impressed by the new EW 1783 bottling). I still try to keep BT open at the house, but I ignore most of the other products from them.

Wednesday I passed on:

ER 10 @ $45

Blanton's @ $100

Smoke Wagon UC/UF @ $89

That last one may have been an error, but I haven't tasted much in the way of MGP bourbon, so I couldn't bring myself to drop that coin.

I also skipped EWSB @ $34, which seemed like a reasonable price, but the last EWSB I had was like a dozen years ago, and I didn't like any of the handful of bottlings I tried in that era.

Did stumble on a semi-dusty OO BIB and snagged it. Hadn't seen one in several months or maybe a year.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, TBoner said:

Thanks! Good to poke my head in here. I never quit drinking bourbon, but the hobbyist side took a back seat for a few years for a variety of reasons. My bourbon buying habits never shifted much; I'm still a dedicated drinker of WT101, WT Rye, WTRBOGD BIB, and OGD 114. Oh, and Dickel 12. Beyond that, I'm dabbling in trying things that have hit the market the last few years and mixing in some HH products (I'm mightily impressed by the new EW 1783 bottling). I still try to keep BT open at the house, but I ignore most of the other products from them.

Wednesday I passed on:

ER 10 @ $45

Blanton's @ $100

Smoke Wagon UC/UF @ $89

That last one may have been an error, but I haven't tasted much in the way of MGP bourbon, so I couldn't bring myself to drop that coin.

I also skipped EWSB @ $34, which seemed like a reasonable price, but the last EWSB I had was like a dozen years ago, and I didn't like any of the handful of bottlings I tried in that era.

Did stumble on a semi-dusty OO BIB and snagged it. Hadn't seen one in several months or maybe a year.

What is OO BiB?

5 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What is OO BiB?

Old Overholt BiB rye.   😁

• I like it 1

Toured Sazerac House in NOLA yesterday. Passed on shelves of both BT and Saz. The BT was well priced and I considered it but I am not a huge fan. With my curtailed consumption rate I certainly don’t need anything I don’t love.

the Saz on site is BT distilled and eventually will transition to site distilled from the on premise still. All that is too young and aging away in KY so in a few years thats one I’d potentially pick up when in town.

• I like it 1

On 11/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, Rhettro said:

Welcome. Yeah I kinda enjoyed the bottle I had. A few pours were pretty delicious. Overall I was just above ok on it. But at $16.99, I still stocked the bunker for future Rhettro and my inevitable palate changes. 

I snagged 4 bottles .

Definitely worth $16.99.

Thanks,  again!

• I like it 1

From yesterday:

Blanton's SFTB $250

KCSB 15 yr  $140

Rebel 10 yr  $125

All are good bourbons but no thank you at those prices.

• I like it 2

I passed again this year on all the stores doing their annual Black Friday "come stand in line for four hours and maybe get a bottle of something allocated" shenanigans.  Respect for all the SBers who have the desire and fortitude to stand in line for hours waiting for bourbon.   But I've been doing this long enough to know that it isn't worth it.  

• I like it 14

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

I passed again this year on all the stores doing their annual Black Friday "come stand in line for four hours and maybe get a bottle of something allocated" shenanigans.  Respect for all the SBers who have the desire and fortitude to stand in line for hours waiting for bourbon.   But I've been doing this long enough to know that it isn't worth it.  

Preach Brother Rich. I too have completely lost my motivation for all of that. 

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Preach Brother Rich. I too have completely lost my motivation for all of that. 

Likewise. Long ago I got tired of chasing the new hotness. I sometimes wish I could taste some Handy rye again, or get my hands on some Weller 12, but I've got more whiskey than I should and less money and time than I want, so I'll stick with what I can easily get.

Speaking of which, I passed on $100 7 yr. HH BIB today, as well as an $80 McKenna and a $75 BH 10-yr.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, TBoner said:

Likewise. Long ago I got tired of chasing the new hotness. I sometimes wish I could taste some Handy rye again, or get my hands on some Weller 12, but I've got more whiskey than I should and less money and time than I want, so I'll stick with what I can easily get.

Speaking of which, I passed on $100 7 yr. HH BIB today, as well as an $80 McKenna and a $75 BH 10-yr.

Even for here those prices are ludicrous. Less money than we want and more bourbon than we need seems to be a common problem around here…🤔

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I did a triple take, for sure. I think I giggled too, actually.

I’ve been in to bourbon long enough that prices like this shouldn’t surprise me. Still, dayummm! 🤯 A store near me has it for $17.99. 🤔 Good pass Mike. 🤨

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

BD92470F-04D1-478E-8EDE-5E8587368B07.jpeg

If EW1783 is $50, that ECBP must've been ~$200!

7 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Whaaaat?  I don't think I would have giggled.  Obscenities would likely have been uttered before walking out.  

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I thought maybe you were in a foreign country, and that's another currency, not US$.

Or it's a mistake.

EW 1783 costs $16 and change at my local grocery.  Speaking of which, I need to go grab some. 🙂

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

yikes!  drinking this now randomly. it's a fine low end pour. $18. 

• I like it 1

Passed a bunch of stuff today.  The grand prize goes to Old Elk Rye, 5 years old, distilled in IN - $76.99 🤪🤣🤨

The label is even slightly cockeyed, not exactly straight on the bottle.

This was at a store that usually prices everything close to MSRP.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

Passed a bunch of stuff today.  The grand prize goes to Old Elk Rye, 5 years old, distilled in IN - $76.99 🤪🤣🤨

The label is even slightly cockeyed, not exactly straight on the bottle.

This was at a store that usually prices everything close to MSRP.

That’s actually normal pricing on the OE 5 year rye single barrels.

They are actually quite good.

The ones around here were all BP/NCF.

Left a Weller White Label on the shelf at $899.00. I've seen it at $550 and let it rest as well.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.