Jimmy Russell 50th Anniversary Tribute 15 yo

JimmyJames
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all.  Figured I'd ask the forum, has anyone every had this?

I bought it years ago and have saved it for some reason.  I know the story behind it but haven't tried it

15 year old juice a little old no?  Especially since Jimmy Russell feels that 10 years is the sweet spot for bourbon.

1442540284_Jimmyrussell.jpg.9fe80c336ec58734378ed31e107514b6.jpg

He said his sweet spot for whiskey is at 10 years?  Mine is six to eight.  Is OK to go higher, though, in his opinion AND in mine.

At WhiskyFest Wash DC in Spring 2017, Sir Jimmy poured a new release for me, and Sir Eddie asked what I thought.  It was WT Masters Keep Decades.  For a blend of 10 to 20 year old bourbon, it was incredibly smooth and complex and well balanced and definitely NOT over-oaked.  What did I think?  In the next week, I scoured stores and picked up three bottles for my bunker and DAMN the price.  I'd have bought more, but that's all I could find.

I have 3/4 of the last one left.

Ten years is a guide, not a hard and fast rule.  Taste it and decide for yourself.

• I like it 1

It is excellent bourbon.  Perhaps, the best WT whiskey I’ve had.  Certainly , not over-oaked at the 15 yrs.  

• I like it 1

15 year old Bourbon is not something we see too often, but I can think of some examples put out by the various legacy distilleries.

If the plan is to age a barrel for an extra long time, a place in the warehouse will be selected where the temperature doesn't change as drastically (like lower floors in the middle of the building).

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It is excellent bourbon.  Perhaps, the best WT whiskey I’ve had.  Certainly , not over-oaked at the 15 yrs.  

what he said

• I like it 4

Please open it, try it, and post a few tasting notes. So that those of us who will never be able to try that bottle can live vicariously.

• I like it 4

I consider 10 year a youngun' and will play as long as she doesn't interrupt adult conversations.  For my taste, WT really comes into its own at 14, gaining complexity and other mature character.  Love it.  I think I've had this one and liked it, but don't remember specifically.  (aged person drinking lots o' aged whiskey, memory problems happen) - I'm sure its good.  All of the older WT I've had were fantastic with exception of Diamond.  Eddie Russell maybe had an off week, though some days I enjoy Diamond much more than others, like when I'm sipping it alone and not side by side with another premium WT.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.