BOTM 11/21 Wild Turkey 101

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello SB family, we are finally back with another BOTM. Apologies for the 2 month gap since the last one. 2021 continues to be just as unprecedented as 2020. You've all heard of the Great Resignation movement happening this year. I have another one - the Great Reunion. As everyone got vaccinated and comfortable with travel, everyone wanted to reconnect with the friends and family they had been separated from for a year and a half. The past few months have been a very full time of both visiting family and having multiple friends and family coming out to visit us. Lots of travel both for fun and for work. Things have finally settled down.

Now to the subject at hand. It's Turkey month! So what better bourbon to feature than WT101 itself. I'm sipping one right now - a handle I purchased last week - and as always it delivers far above its price point. You just can't say enough about the value of this bourbon. $20ish for a blend of 6-8yr old bourbon at 101 proof. And the flavor it carries - better than any other bourbon at that price point. We all know it's a long time favorite here and for good reason. It's a good feeling to check back in on this one and to find it delivering at a very high quality level yet again. Long live the Russell's!

• I like it 12

A bourbon for all seasons! Cheap enough to be a regular mixer, where it works splendidly, and great by itself (neat or with some ice). The only fault I can find with Wild Turkey 101 is that it is such a great value that it makes other good Turkey products look a little worse. Kentucky Spirit is a good bourbon, but when it is also NAS and 101 proof at more than twice the price, it's hard to fault someone for sticking to good old 101.

I also love what Wild Turkey 101 represents. Jimmy Russell kept it higher proof and packed with real bourbon flavor even when the trend was for lighter products. And while it did once carry an age statement, the 101 has been pretty consistent through the decades. I've had Wild Turkey 101 bottled in every decade from the 1970s to today and while they don't taste the same, I'd say they all hew to Jimmy's idea of a good bourbon. Jimmy and his Wild Turkey 101 are rightfully beloved and I hope they keep bringing us bourbon enjoyment for decades to come.

• I like it 8

Indeed, I just happen to have opened a new bottle, and am enjoying some right now.  This was before I even checked in here.  That's not surprising.  This is on my short list of bottles that should always be on deck. 🦃 

• I like it 1

My brother is an occasional bourbon drinker.  I recommended RR 10 year.  He was like, “it’s fine but I like the WT101 more, so much flavor.”.  Well nothing wrong with that.

• I like it 3

What else do I love about WT101..........

All of my wife's friends and all of my co-workers know that I'm seriously into bourbon. They all assume that I'm a bourbon snob. So it is with great pleasure when I tell them that WT101 is one of my most consumed bourbons that they all look astounded as if I'm lying to them. I love busting stereotypes.

• I like it 7

Could it be, something that's easily obtained and reasonably priced is one of the better ones - YES.

• I like it 4

On 11/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, flahute said:

What else do I love about WT101..........

All of my wife's friends and all of my co-workers know that I'm seriously into bourbon. They all assume that I'm a bourbon snob. So it is with great pleasure when I tell them that WT101 is one of my most consumed bourbons that they all look astounded as if I'm lying to them. I love busting stereotypes.

Same here!     I get the same reaction when I tell 'em that I like OGD BIB.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:56 PM, HoustonNit said:

When I tell people this they usually seem disappointed it’s weird.

Ditto.  

4 hours ago, ebo said:

WT 101 is always in the house.

Absolutely!  The 101 rye is always on hand too.   

Like many on this site, I have so many bottles that sometimes I can't make up my mind.   When the indecision hits, I reach for the WT101.  It never disappoints.

• I like it 3

WT 101 has been my fishing flask bourbon for many years, but I rarely drank it at home.  That changed earlier this year when 101 was on sale, but OGD BIB wasn't.  Plus, the 101 was in handle size, and I was having trouble tucking multiple bottles under my arms.  AND, the OGD was sold out that day, anyway.  For the past several months, WT 101 and OGD BIB have been alternating with JB small batch LE releases.  As I mentioned recently on the what I drinking thread, I opted for WT 101 after spending a little over a week away from bourbon or any other spirit and got a clear, nice cherry note.

• I like it 5

On 11/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

WT 101 has been my fishing flask bourbon for many years, but I rarely drank it at home.  That changed earlier this year when 101 was on sale, but OGD BIB wasn't.  Plus, the 101 was in handle size, and I was having trouble tucking multiple bottles under my arms.  AND, the OGD was sold out that day, anyway.  For the past several months, WT 101 and OGD BIB have been alternating with JB small batch LE releases.  As I mentioned recently on the what I drinking thread, I opted for WT 101 after spending a little over a week away from bourbon or any other spirit and got a clear, nice cherry note.

Picturing you carrying WT101 handle by its handle but sadly I know this isn’t the case.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

WT 101:

Always in my flask when I go backpacking

Always in my flask when I go canoeing

Always in my flask when I go fishing

Always in my flask when I do all night astronomy with my telescope

Always open on my bourbon bar

Always and simply a great choice

• I like it 5

I read this quote from Matthew McConaughey the other day it it really hit what I like about WT101.  "It has a touch of sweetness and a touch of mesquite charcoal smoke."  WT has stepped it up a notch with this brand over the past few years.  An everyman's bourbon at a reasonable price. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

I'm having some right now.

My younger brother has started to get interested, ask questions, about Bourbon.

I'm trying to convince him of this.

No need for the games, and forking over $$$.  It's hiding in plain sight.

• I like it 2

Love all the activity on this thread tonight. I too am having some WT101 tonight!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, gmrv4 said:

WT 101:

Always in my flask when I go backpacking

Always in my flask when I go canoeing

Always in my flask when I go fishing

Always in my flask when I do all night astronomy with my telescope

Always open on my bourbon bar

Always and simply a great choice

Great post  @gmrv4. 👍

Biba! Joe

To commensurate the season, I opened a bottle this week.

Just wow, I was flooded with great memories made over the years sharing this brand with great friends.

It’s everything you could ask for; a truly classic bourbon.  

• I like it 2

$40 handles of WT101 will forever remain the absolute best value for my money in the bourbon aisle.  Went full circle around the bourbon world to end up right back here.  

Currently, WT bottlings are 20% of the open bottles in my bunker.  

Gobble till you Wobble.  

• I like it 5

I first tasted Wild Turkey as a teenager at a cabin on a deer lease in West Texas. I still remember the burn. I stayed away from WT for decades. I’ve come back around on it and it’s one of my favorites. 

I also stayed away from WT 101 for years until this forum's positive comments made me give it a try again. One of the best $20ish bourbons around.

Should always have at least one bottle around the house.

It's always open here. I honestly can't believe its price given the current state of the market. I've had many, many Turkey bottlings over the years, and all are excellent, but the consistent brilliance of stalwart 101 is unreal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.