BOTM 11/21 Wild Turkey 101

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've always been a big fan or WT101 and I recently bought one with the new bottle/label design which I think is a huge improvement.  I've had four or five pours and, I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with it.  It feels a bit thin and it's lacking some of the caramel and delicious spice that I usually get.  The first couple of pours I discounted as either neck pour or bad palate night but last night I did a back to back with EW BiB and it did not stand up.  Laser code is LL/JH so maybe just a weaker batch?  Has anyone else had this experience?   

To be clear, I'm not down on the brand.  It's probably the most consistently great budget whiskey out there so I can easily forgive an occasional swing and a miss..

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

I've always been a big fan or WT101 and I recently bought one with the new bottle/label design which I think is a huge improvement.  I've had four or five pours and, I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with it.  It feels a bit thin and it's lacking some of the caramel and delicious spice that I usually get.  The first couple of pours I discounted as either neck pour or bad palate night but last night I did a back to back with EW BiB and it did not stand up.  Laser code is LL/JH so maybe just a weaker batch?  Has anyone else had this experience?   

To be clear, I'm not down on the brand.  It's probably the most consistently great budget whiskey out there so I can easily forgive an occasional swing and a miss..

I have some new label 101 that is classic greatness. However, a recent RRSiB was not good. I’m guessing a bad batch as well as more inconsistencies than we are used to from this distillery. 

• 2 months later...

Geeze, the fact that I look at this thread now and don't see a post from me about WT101 is disappointing (disappointed in myself I mean). I obviously need to spend more time here in the BOTM.  

Wild Turkey 101 is in the running for my number one 'desert island' bourbon, meaning that if I were stranded on an island for the rest of my life, this would be my pick of them all (ok, probably in a tie with RRSiB).  WT101 has everything I want in a whiskey, and (this part is key) it has it all in balance.  For me this whiskey just seems to get the yin & yang of a perfect bourbon right.  It has the right combination of all the classic bourbon flavor notes of vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, oak, and rye spice in near perfect balance.  It doesn't emphasize any one thing too much but just strikes a harmonious balance.  And at 101 proof I don't have to fiddle with water or ice or anything to get the right amount of heat.  It's perfect neat at 101 every time.  

• I like it 5

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When people tell me that they are starting a home bar and want my opinion (Like it matters) on the bourbons to stock, I tetll them that they only need two WT101 and BT.  I believe that those two will cover the range of flavors preferred by most and will stand up in a mixed drink.

• I like it 3

I don't have much to add here other than WT 101 is awesome independent of it's price point, so the fact that it's  relatively cheap is just an added bonus.  It's great neat and as a mixer.  WT and it's many higher end perturbations (RR10, RRSiB and WTRB) have strong representation in my stash.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.