Old Elk Wheated Bourbon 118 proof select

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Elk in Colorado is a new start up setting up to do their own distillation, but in meantime they source from different locales, principally MGP.  Of note, their principal talent is Greg Metze, chief/master distiller for MGP for many years and now semi-retired.  Greg did number of things after leaving MGP but now settled with Old Elk full-time.  

MGP is experimenting with a number of new mash bills and products.  Wheated is relatively new.  This particular example is 5.5 years old and clocks 118 proof.  This is a select for Virginia ABC.  Old Elk makes several different products, all of which seem a little pricey for their stats; this was $75.  1st sip seemed hotter than expected for proof, interesting course/crude flavors.  2nd sip same, I'm having hard time deciding if I like it.  It is different and I like different.  Getting wood as if lighter char?  Little aftertaste.  Later glass and I'm well cauterized as it's now smooth as water.  Good flavors.  Getting more wood taste and nice after.  I like it surprisingly well for a young offering.

I need to spend more time on other days with this.  To that end, I picked up 2nd bottle so I have no reservations slamming this open one.  

• I like it 1

I seem to recall MGP has like ten different recipes they do.

I tried some of the wheated at two years old in the form of a TW house brand.  It reminded me of a much simplified version of Maker's.  At only two years, not much chance for the good flavors to develop.  Potential was there, just way too young.

I give B.B. credit, taking one for the team.  At 5 and 1/2 years, probably pretty decent.

• 3 weeks later...

since I'm 12 sheets in wind, I'll continue with convo.  I've now compared this back to back to back with many, including high proofers.  Conclusion: this is amazingly smooth for the proof.  However, very weak on front and zero after.  I expected more from Metze buying from MGP at this price point.  I'll never purchase another Elk and probably never purchase another Metze.  I've got a lot more vitriol lined up but withholding.  You buy Elk, you be a fool.

I saw the 5 year old rye recently @ $76.99.  I was like - wtf?  It's basically the same rye Bulleit or Dickel bottle for $20 something, yes.  Maybe a higher proof, but come on.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

since I'm 12 sheets in wind, I'll continue with convo.  I've now compared this back to back to back with many, including high proofers.  Conclusion: this is amazingly smooth for the proof.  However, very weak on front and zero after.  I expected more from Metze buying from MGP at this price point.  I'll never purchase another Elk and probably never purchase another Metze.  I've got a lot more vitriol lined up but withholding.  You buy Elk, you be a fool.

BBB is fired up!

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, flahute said:

BBB is fired up!

Heehee!  His last sentence was positively Mr. T-like!!  🤣🤣

• I like it 3

• 2 months later...

There are only 4 sheets available on a square rigger's boom, and the phrase is three sheets to the wind (meaning: out of control).  Just saying.

2 hours ago, chumppunk said:

There are only 4 sheets available on a square rigger's boom, and the phrase is three sheets to the wind (meaning: out of control).  Just saying.

“If you knew B.B. like we know B.B. Oh! Oh! Oh!”  ⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵😬

Biba! Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.