Looking For Some Straight Up Advice

Brudd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

My brother recently got me started with my Bourbon journey and my question is for him.

He's retiring and I would like to get a gift bottle (that we can share at his retirement party).

What would be some good suggestions with a budget of say $100.00?

Thanks . . .

Hello and welcome, it sounds like your brother is a more experienced bourbon drinker? If so, it would be helpful to know what his preferences are; a $100 bottle from a distillery he doesn't care for may not go over any better than a $25 bottle from one he likes...

• I like it 3

One thing that would be good to know is whether he enjoys barrel-strength bourbon,  since a lot of the choices in that price range that are truly superb are high-strength. 

If so, it would be hard to go wrong with a Booker's,  which even if he has one he likely doesn't have a particular batch.  The presentation is just made for gift-giving,  as compared with, say  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof,  which comes in a brown paper bag and denotes the batches like the Germans do car models. 

I think a Smoke Wagon Uncut and Unfiltered would be an amazing choice, if you can find it.

Things are tougher if he's like a scotch drinker and likes things at about a 92 proof.    Maybe a Bardstown Bourbon Company Fusion Series.    

If he likes wheated bourbon,  and like most of us if Weller for you is merely an abstraction,   look for Rebel 10.   It's 100 proof with real age, and that's something you won't otherwise find at the price point.  

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

Where are you from Brudd? Availability and pricing of a number of products can vary widely between different areas of the country. 

5 hours ago, lemonman said:

Hello and welcome, it sounds like your brother is a more experienced bourbon drinker? If so, it would be helpful to know what his preferences are; a $100 bottle from a distillery he doesn't care for may not go over any better than a $25 bottle from one he likes...

I'd compare it to music.  If someone listened to recordings of a band, and really liked them, expensive concert tickets might be in order.

The main distilleries have a base product, then the prices increase for different variations - more age, etc.

To confuse things further, there are companies that purchase stuff someone else made, then bottle it under their own brand name.  Sometimes it's great.  Other times you're paying a big up charge for middle men, to buy something unremarkable.

• I like it 1

I second the motion for Booker's.  Great presentation and lately hard to find.  Blanton's would be a good choice for the same reasons. 

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I second the motion for Booker's.  Great presentation and lately hard to find.  Blanton's would be a good choice for the same reasons. 

And the Blanton's would (should) run you less $$$!   🥳

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, lemonman said:

I think he's all over the place, I know he likes trying new varieties.

20 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

One thing that would be good to know is whether he enjoys barrel-strength bourbon,  since a lot of the choices in that price range that are truly superb are high-strength. 

I'm thinking about barrel strength, he was stationed in Europe for years and tolerates stronger drinks better.

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Where are you from Brudd? Availability and pricing of a number of products can vary widely between different areas of the country. 

I'm in Connecticut, I live close to litchfield Distillery and picked this up today . . . .  

Vanilla-Bourbon.jpeg

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And the Blanton's would (should) run you less $$$!   🥳

lol, it’s worth stressing the SHOULD.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Brudd said:

I'm in Connecticut, I live close to litchfield Distillery and picked this up today . . . .  

Vanilla-Bourbon.jpeg

I grew up in Connecticut;  my family still has place in Madison.   I remember getting a Remus Repeal Reserve last time I was there - that would be just about a perfect gift.  

• I like it 2

On 11/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, Brudd said:

Vanilla-Bourbon.jpeg

My son used to attend a boarding school in Litchfield County. They would lead off serving Litchfield Distillery spirits during their fund raiser cocktail hours during Parents Weekend and wouldn’t bring out anything drinkable until you stroked a check.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.