WT Rare Breed vs WT Kentucky Spirit

LvR Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Busted out WT101 for Turkey day and I'm currently finishing it up 2 days later. It got me thinking, what should I get next?

I have never had WTRB nor WTKS but after seeing these names on numerous posts I have decided that I will be acquiring both of these... in due time.

Which one should I get first?

Which do you prefer?

What's the difference?

If you can only have one, which would you pick?

I would say get the Rare Breed first.

The difference is Rare Breed is a batch of barrels and higher proof.  I believe a portion up to twelve years old.

KY Spirit is single barrel 101 proof.  No age statement, but heard it is eight years old.  Given the nature of single barrel, you might get a really great one, or a sort of average one.  If you know a place with a reputation for barrel picks, or samples, that helps.

I wouldn't talk you out of either one.  

• I like it 2

Yeah agree with basically everything PaulO stated.  I’d argue they’re probably the opposites of the standard line.  Rare breed being batch proof seems about as fiery as it gets while WTKS tends be a softer profile that’s targeted in those barrels.  

I’d try Rare Breed first but if you can find it I’d actually try the Russel Reserve Dingle barrel next over anything else.  

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I’d try Rare Breed first but if you can find it I’d actually try the Russel Reserve Dingle barrel next over anything else.  

Smells like ????, tastes like ????   Yeah, I know - I have fat fingers, too!   🤣

• I like it 1

It's a question of what you're looking for.  Both are premium expressions of WT101, but the premium price gets you something different in each one.    

You are seeking how best to "graduate" from WT101.   What do you like about it most?   If the proof is perfect for you (like it is for me),  then WTKS gets you a curated single barrel of the juice as Jimmy 'n Eddie intended.   

But if you want more proof (and the concentration of flavor that barrel proof bourbon provides) then Rare Breed gets you that,  batched for consistency just as WT101 is.    

As mentioned,  there's a third option - high proof AND single barrel which is what RRSiB provides.   And,  if you like the lower proof of a sipping scotch,  WT will gladly sell you a "regular"  Russell's Reserve,  complete with the same 10-year age statement of your favorite Glenmorangie.

All with the same mashbill.   That's what I love about WT -  this is good bourbon available in your definition of greatness.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I think the correct answer is get both.

Isn’t it always?  😂

• I like it 3

I agree with those that said get both. You can then climb the “turkey ladder” at your leisure. 😜

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Given the price points Rare Breed is of better value in my personal opinion.  Higher proof, batched to perfection with likely some older whiskey in it.  Honestly, WTKS doesn't have a whole lot going for it to demand the price.  I don't see Campari continuing to push this at consumers if they don't do something either with the price or to distinguish itself to increase demand.  Perhaps NCF and/or an age statement? Bring back the turkey feathers?  Wishful thinking.  I think they're neat and they garner a spot in my bar simply because I'm a fan boy, but seriously I don't see WTKS hanging on if they just keep putting out the same thing.

• I like it 3

If you can get both, I would encourage you to do so.  However, if you want to purchase one just to put your foot on the next rung of the WT ladder, I would suggest Rare Breed.  It is more similar to WT101 but is the powerhouse of the brand at barrel strength. It has a nice long warm spicy finish. It is also batched so it is more consistent.  IMHO, WTKS is usually drier and sweeter on the palate with long smooth finish.  As a single barrel offering, it can be less consistent.  Both are absolutely stellar but so is WT101.

• I like it 4

Agree with what everyone has said.  Rare Breed and KS are my standard T-giving Day pours.  Rare Breed is just a phenomenal, consistent high proof bourbon.  I have an older bottle open, plus newer, and both are great.  That said, I still have several bottles of a 2017 Warehouse D KS store select, which is wonderful as well.  Plus, I just love those previous fan-tailed KS bottles.  So, in short, try both, but Rare Breed will probably be the winner long-term. 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Shizzy said:

Given the price points Rare Breed is of better value in my personal opinion.  Higher proof, batched to perfection with likely some older whiskey in it.  Honestly, WTKS doesn't have a whole lot going for it to demand the price.  I don't see Campari continuing to push this at consumers if they don't do something either with the price or to distinguish itself to increase demand.  Perhaps NCF and/or an age statement? Bring back the turkey feathers?  Wishful thinking.  I think they're neat and they garner a spot in my bar simply because I'm a fan boy, but seriously I don't see WTKS hanging on if they just keep putting out the same thing.

No question the value proposition is better with Rare Breed, both in terms of price and higher proof.  Not sure why WT prices KS as high as they do;  perhaps others can explain the economics of curated single barrels vs curated small batching.

That said,  I'm a sucker for WTKS,  with five bottles bunkered vs just one of Rare Breed.  That's a testament to Rare Breed's consistency - I know that when the bottle's done I can readily replace it.    With KS,  the intrigue of the single barrel expression of the world's finest bourbon gets to my wallet every time.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.