Where to start with MGP bourbons?

TBoner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

I don't see MGP bourbon as a "gamble";  it takes just a bit of knowledge/research to identify those NDPs that are up front about what they are selling.   There is some excellent MGP bourbon out there,  as good as anything in the market.  

I think it’s certainly a gamble, as it is for any NDP who relies on a Russian Roulette of unknown barrels at each lot purchase.  An NDP may tell you a barrel or batch number, but the expectations that your next purchase is even from the same distillery is questionable if those ID’s aren’t the same.  

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Call me a hater but this has been my mentality toward MGP and craft since Day 1.  ...

It's easy to feel that way.  When ya pay $50 for a craft and find out later is $15 worth of MGP, easy to get sour.  I do my homework and still get snookered.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I think it’s certainly a gamble, as it is for any NDP who relies on a Russian Roulette of unknown barrels at each lot purchase.  An NDP may tell you a barrel or batch number, but the expectations that your next purchase is even from the same distillery is questionable if those ID’s aren’t the same.  

But MGP isn’t a “craft” distiller. To lump MGP in with NDP’s doesn’t make much sense to me.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, OldScoutGuy said:

But MGP isn’t a “craft” distiller. To lump MGP in with NDP’s doesn’t make much sense to me.

I’m not sure what you’re saying what I said, or implied.  Please reread and come back.  

I should say here that last night was one night, and maybe my thoughts on the bottle will shift with future experiences. I don't believe in neck pours, but I do believe in palate variation from day to day. And I may have had my expectations set too high, which could have negatively influenced my impressions. I should also add that I don't mind paying a small premium for a smaller distiller's wares nor for an NDP that is a known entity. I'll give it another go this weekend sometime.

14 hours ago, dcbt said:

I feel like MGP is the new tater brand.  The same people who make fun of others for liking Blantons will stand in line for hours, fall all over themselves, to try and grab a three year old club pick of some generic MGP brand (in other words, basically the same bourbon sitting in dozens of other bottles on the shelf already. )  The irony is amusing to me, but I also appear to be the only one noticing this so maybe it's me...

@dcbt It's not just you.  

I think a lot of people have read that some of the stellar older Willett and SOAS bottles came from MGP so they are chasing that bourbon.  Unfortunately, that stuff is long gone.  Even the older MGP stock still available was passed over previously.  But, now that it has age and comes from MGP, it is sought after.  I view it the same as Stitzel-Weller.  Sure, they made some stellar bourbon.  But, some of their stuff was bottom shelf.  Now, how that compares to what is produced today is a matter of debate.  I have tasted SW bourbon that pales compared to some currently produced readily available bourbon produced today.  It is easy to guess which demands the higher price premium.  However, depending on price, FOMO would still make me think twice about buying if I saw a bottom shelf offering from SW. 

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, TBoner said:

I should say here that last night was one night, and maybe my thoughts on the bottle will shift with future experiences. I don't believe in neck pours, but I do believe in palate variation from day to day. And I may have had my expectations set too high, which could have negatively influenced my impressions. I should also add that I don't mind paying a small premium for a smaller distiller's wares nor for an NDP that is a known entity. I'll give it another go this weekend sometime.

@TBoner When I saw you bought SA, my first question was whether it is their distillate or MGP.  I may be wrong but I believe most of what they release now is their own distillate.  This disappoints me because I have always thought they were doing things the right way but reviews have been mixed.  I know John Little was an active member of these forums for a long time.  I will dip my toes back in on their product when it gets a little more age.

4 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Very confused. Are we talking about Ross & Squibb?  I no longer recognize MGP 😝 

We be slow on the uptake.  I still think of them as Seagrams. 😜

• I like it 4

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

@TBoner When I saw you bought SA, my first question was whether it is their distillate or MGP.  I may be wrong but I believe most of what they release now is their own distillate.  This disappoints me because I have always thought they were doing things the right way but reviews have been mixed.  I know John Little was an active member of these forums for a long time.  I will dip my toes back in on their product when it gets a little more age.

Fair question. The bottle does say "Distilled in Indiana," so it is almost certainly MGP, right?

4 minutes ago, TBoner said:

Fair question. The bottle does say "Distilled in Indiana," so it is almost certainly MGP, right?

Yes, sir.  I would say it is MGP then.  Drats, even more disappointing.  Your idea of giving it a little time makes sense.  You have been drinking the brown liquid long enough to know that what tastes like swill one day tastes like nectar the next.  Our palate sometimes deceives us.  Other times it points us away from dissatisfaction.  

I hope you find more enjoyment in future pours!

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

55 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Very confused. Are we talking about Ross & Squibb?  I no longer recognize MGP 😝 

Then I guess LDI is out of the question too? 🥸

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

@dcbt It's not just you.  

I think a lot of people have read that some of the stellar older Willett and SOAS bottles came from MGP so they are chasing that bourbon.  Unfortunately, that stuff is long gone.  Even the older MGP stock still available was passed over previously.  But, now that it has age and comes from MGP, it is sought after.  I view it the same as Stitzel-Weller.  Sure, they made some stellar bourbon.  But, some of their stuff was bottom shelf.  Now, how that compares to what is produced today is a matter of debate.  I have tasted SW bourbon that pales compared to some currently produced readily available bourbon produced today.  It is easy to guess which demands the higher price premium.  However, depending on price, FOMO would still make me think twice about buying if I saw a bottom shelf offering from SW. 

That’s my point, what’s available from MGP is not worth the asking price. Grow a pair, do your own distillate and stand or fall on your own sword. Pay the bills selling gin/vodka in the meantime and stop sourcing from a subpar distillery. Rant over 😂.

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well,  if it's a gamble,  it's one I've been consistently taking and winning.   I understand the dislike for NDPs; too many have a reputation for a lack of transparency.   But the MGP high rye bourbon mashbill is unique,  and to me is one of three "core" must-have bourbon mashbills,  together with WT and OF.   Differences exist with respect to how MGP is aged, proofed and blended, and discussion threads like this are a great way of sharing knowledge of where the good stuff may be found.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Well,  if it's a gamble,  it's one I've been consistently taking and winning.   I understand the dislike for NDPs; too many have a reputation for a lack of transparency.   But the MGP high rye bourbon mashbill is unique,  and to me is one of three "core" must-have bourbon mashbills,  together with WT and OF.   Differences exist with respect to how MGP is aged, proofed and blended, and discussion threads like this are a great way of sharing knowledge of where the good stuff may be found.

I really liked their rye distillate in Bulleit rye.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I really liked their rye distillate in Bulleit rye.

MGP is probably best known for their 95/5 rye,   which has come close to re-defining the genre.   The other legacy distillers stick to Kentucky style rye,  but the uniqueness of the MGP mashbill has built the businesses of a lot of NDPs.    

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, flahute said:

As others have said, MGP whiskey can be a crap shoot these days due to the combination of higher prices and lower ages in general. 

If available in your market, Nashville Barrel Co is putting out some of the best MGP rye and bourbon right now.

In Nashville now.  Going easy this trip.  Anything in particular from Nashville Barrel Co. makes that you like?  Or anything else Nashville?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

In Nashville now.  Going easy this trip.  Anything in particular from Nashville Barrel Co. makes that you like?  Or anything else Nashville?

Thanks!

I haven't had anything from them that wasn't good except for a single barrel out of an experimental cask from Kelvin Cooperage. It's not that it's 'bad' - some of my friends picked it as a single barrel, it's just not what I expected so I'll need to get used to it. I'm don't like these toasting and other wood influencing techniques as much as others.

Everything else has been great. They have some batched products that are semi regular offerings and those have been good so far. They really shine when you get one of their single barrels at barrel proof especially if it has a bit more age on it. They have a wide variety available in their gift shop. If you meet Michael Hinds there, (one of the owners), tell him that Steve from the Bourbon Crusaders sent you.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I haven't had anything from them that wasn't good except for a single barrel out of an experimental cask from Kelvin Cooperage. It's not that it's 'bad' - some of my friends picked it as a single barrel, it's just not what I expected so I'll need to get used to it. I'm don't like these toasting and other wood influencing techniques as much as others.

Everything else has been great. They have some batched products that are semi regular offerings and those have been good so far. They really shine when you get one of their single barrels at barrel proof especially if it has a bit more age on it. They have a wide variety available in their gift shop. If you meet Michael Hinds there, (one of the owners), tell him that Steve from the Bourbon Crusaders sent you.

Thanks, will report back.

Greenbriar Distillery in Nashville is worth a stop.  The Belle Meade Reserve is solid and their distillery offerings usually very good.

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Greenbriar Distillery in Nashville is worth a stop.  The Belle Meade Reserve is solid and their distillery offerings usually very good.

If you find any 12 yr old Belle Meade Cask Strength at Greenbriar, buy it!!!  😋

• I like it 3

My current semi-available MGP faves are the uncut unfiltered from Smoke Wagon, Remus Reserve 5, and the Belle Meade Reserve.

• I like it 3

The SAOS MGP picks are now 6 years old and we picked a fantastic one a while back. My pet theory is the MGP distillate does especially well at SA, but whatever the cause, very excited for this stuff to continue aging and hoping the price and availability keep it within reach.

• I like it 2

I seem to recall that Greenbriar was planning to stop sourcing MGP whiskey for the Belle Meade brand, and switch everything over to their own make.  I have no idea how long the MGP sourced Belle Meade will be available.

I found the Nelson's Greenbriar to be interesting, and worth trying for the novelty.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.