What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not putting this in the empty support group, because it’s still not my thing after numerous attempts… So no support needed!

Most of this (my second bottle) went into a BA Manhattan, along with a bottle of regular small batch, and some vermouth.  The whole being greater than each individual component in my opinion.

Anyway, today I tasted the 4R BA Manhattan, topped it off, and eliminated the remainder of this bottle from my shelf.  Today is one of the few times it hasn’t tasted like straight up watery toothpaste to me and is somewhat enjoyable.  Must’ve been something I ate. 🤔

666703FC-6418-45C6-A5E8-9A856D4E3514.jpeg

• I like it 2

59 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Not putting this in the empty support group, because it’s still not my thing after numerous attempts… So no support needed!

Most of this (my second bottle) went into a BA Manhattan, along with a bottle of regular small batch, and some vermouth.  The whole being greater than each individual component in my opinion.

Anyway, today I tasted the 4R BA Manhattan, topped it off, and eliminated the remainder of this bottle from my shelf.  Today is one of the few times it hasn’t tasted like straight up watery toothpaste to me and is somewhat enjoyable.  Must’ve been something I ate. 🤔

I know this is off topic, but I had to post it. The FR SmBSelect is now $52.99 here. 🤔 And that’s at a decent store. Heck, the price of FRSB is only$38.99. I had a bottle of the SmBSelect when it first came out. ($39.99) I liked it better than regular FRSmB, but it didn’t really impress me much.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know this is off topic, but I had to post it. The FR SmBSelect is now $52.99 here. 🤔 And that’s at a decent store. Heck, the price of FRSB is only$38.99. I had a bottle of the SmBSelect when it first came out. ($39.99) I liked it better than regular FRSmB, but it didn’t really impress me much.

Biba! Joe

I paid $63.99 for my first bottle of FRSmBSelect.  My first impressions were that I prefer standard FRSiB which I can find in the upper $30s.  However, as time has passed, I have found that I really like FRSmBSelect.  If I time things right, I can find it for around $40 on sale.  Otherwise, I will opt for FRSiB which I can generally find for $38 at Costco just to keep a bottle or two of FR on my shelves. 

Tonight, I started out with WTR101.  The bottle was open and the fill level quite high so why not?  Moved on to a store selection of Cooke & Savage The Burning Chair Cask Strength.  120 proof and drinks like its 90 proof.  The finish is sweet then spicy and quite long.  I have been seeing their products everywhere recently.  I normally wouldn't have been a buyer but it was a gift, although I did select it after a sample, and it is really good.  It is making me sweat.  Does that mean a bourbon is good?  

I have already lined up my last pour of the night but I will wait patiently until the second quarter of the Steelers-Chiefs game.  Oh good, there is only 1:37 left in the first quarter.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

This sounded good this fine afternoon.  What do you know -- it is.

20220116_163744.jpg

I love the glass!

• I like it 2

JB BIB from the bunker.  Trying to slow own my consumption of OGD BIB and 4R products.  WONderful for sipping while watching pro football games I care nothing about.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Very well could be as they do have barrels from Old Fo.

Now you make me want to go hunt for it.

Tonight’s lineup, for buddy and I -  didn’t disappoint.  We might have snuck some Barrell Batch 30 in there as well, between pours. :D

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Weller Antique

OF SiB barrel strength

Barrell 2021 15yr

Stagg Jr 17

Blanton’s Store Pick

Elijah Craig Barrel Select

1EBD0BA6-580D-4EFE-86B6-20633DF89A45.jpeg

• I like it 12

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Now you make me want to go hunt for it.

Well.......they have barrels from pretty much everyone except BT so you never know what you are going to get!

^^^this.

I have one that tastes like a straight up flower garden (4R???)

and another that’s mixed nuts (beam or HH ???)

Never have tried a bad one though, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

Getting ready to watch the Rams/Cardinals game.  So far a pour of a Barrel Bourbon that I picked up a few years ago in Cape Girardeau MO.  It's been a while and once I had the first sip I remembered why I purchased it.  Weighed in a 117 proof and 14 years old.  Following that with some 1792 BIB.  Another solid pour. 

• I like it 2

I’m following the example set by my Georgia namesake a couple of weeks or so ago. I haven’t had one of these open in quite some time, and I forgot how truly great it is. Wow! 😋 SB.Com PS HH Select Stock 127.6 proof in the glass. 

Bib! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8883ddf1c0682ef805f7e74af36ae4c3.jpeg

• I like it 6

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BT in the glass, Rio Lobo on the tv. 🦬 🤠

Biba! Joe

ABSOLUTELY OFF THREAD, BUT DAMN YOUR EYES, Joe, IT IS YOUR FAULT!!

"Rio Lobo" was a classic Howard Hawks (director) and John Wayne (action figure) vehicle.  Even if one detests the two-dimensional character usually played by Wayne, the movie is worth several viewings.  What gets ignored is:  the supporting cast is a composite of "best supporting actors/actresses" from the 1950s-1960s, and they turn in stellar performances.  Jennifer O'Neill (Summer of '42) is the love interest.  Like Candice Bergen's talent until she played Murphy Brown, Ms. O'Neill's acting chops get lost in her beauty.  Jack "the consummate wall-eyed bad guy" Elam plays himself and, to my mind, does a better job of it than Wayne did in "True Grit" or "Rooster Cogburn".  In the latter, Kate Hepburn challenged him, I bet, to really ACT much as she did with Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen".  He stepped up, and I bet he remembered what he learned when he did "The Shootist".  Others of note - Christopher Mitchum, one of Roberts sons, plays a good heavy, and Bill (TV's Kit Carson) Williams turns in a good performance.  Jim (Jock Ewing) Davis hits his stride as well after twenty years of bouncing around TV and movie westerns.  I personally think this role is what led to his switch from journeyman to star in "Dallas".  George Plimpton has a role in this (although I sure don't remember what it was), and several more "uncredited" faces pop up that make me say, "Oh, yeah.  I wonder who that is?"  Chuck Hayward and Sondra Currie are two of them.

ON THREAD -- Haven't had a drink in three hours.  OTOH, I started early with neat 4RSmB Select after cleaning the snow and ice off the cars.  About Noon IIRC hahaha.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 5

WTKS CNC watching the rain turn to snow turning to ice later.  It is good to be retired.

• I like it 5

4 minutes ago, markandrex said:

WTKS CNC watching the rain turn to snow turning to ice later.  It is good to be retired.

retirement is great.  when I retired I'd lined up lots of contract work, including afghanistan, but once I sat at home I liked it.  Some say too much couch time and netflix isn't healthy; but I have no aches, pains, complaints.  

• I like it 4

On 1/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, 0895 said:

I tried a bottle of the Small Batch Select, but I've not yet replaced it.   It is underwhelming for the price,  especially with the Single Barrel being an obvious substitute.    

• I like it 2

Finally decided to open this one up, bought back in Jul 21. For the $10 more over the 1910, I'll take the 1920, Very nice at the 115 proof. Very nice dark copper, tobacco, vanilla, cinnamon, licorice. Really nice burn for the proof. Still my favorite from OF.

20220119_212910.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.