Opened bottles....how long are they good for?

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have around 150 bottles in my collection. Of those, I have maybe 40 that are opened. Some I've I've just recently purchased, some I've had for quite a while....some I've barely gotten into, others are half or more gone. 

I did recently purchase a can of preserver which I've added to older bottles. 

How long do you find bottles generally last? 

How many bottles do you generally keep open? 

With the preserver and vigilant cork/closure management, plus proper temperature and lighting— the contents should last indefinitely. I’ve got bottles dating back to the mid-90s in open form. Low ABV liqueurs, fortified wines, vermouth, dairy or egg based, etc. are a different story. 

• I like it 2

^^^What Dave says.  I’ve had many bottles last with the highest quality for a decade or more after opening by doing what Dave recommends, except I haven’t used preserver.  Using that can only help, though.  

I've used parafilm to wrap the tops for over 15 years and all works well.  Only time something gets a little wonky if down to less than quarter fill.  

Rather than parafilm, some people use Glad Press-n-Seal but I like parafilm much better.  But might go to both, parafilm then Glad wrapped around it for some of the treasures.  Parafilm available ebay, amazon, etc.

A friend uses nitrogen fill (like for wine) followed by parafilm.  Might seem overkill but some of his bottles are amazing and worth preserving.

44 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I've used parafilm to wrap the tops for over 15 years and all works well.  Only time something gets a little wonky if down to less than quarter fill.  

Rather than parafilm, some people use Glad Press-n-Seal but I like parafilm much better.  But might go to both, parafilm then Glad wrapped around it for some of the treasures.  Parafilm available ebay, amazon, etc.

A friend uses nitrogen fill (like for wine) followed by parafilm.  Might seem overkill but some of his bottles are amazing and worth preserving.

I’m a proponent of the Glad Press n Seal B3, because it’s easy.  We purchase regularly for food wrap so it’s in my kitchen drawer, seals very well, and I believe may have better OTR and MVTR barrier properties than even parafilm.  But, don’t quote me on that… 😉 If I’m going to sock away a special bottle for an extended time, PnS is my go-to wrap.  

Thank you all very much for your responses. I had Googled it previously and there were mentions of 1-2 years. It's good to know they'll last longer. I have quite a few bottles that I haven't opened because I was concerned about them going bad. Looks like it's time to pop some corks. 

• I like it 1

As others have stated, good caps and a tight seal are important. A couple of other things that help are keeping your bottles out of direct sunlight and away from heat. Cheers!

Biba! Joe

ps. Oops. Just realized Marekv8  posted pretty much the same thing. Oh well. 🙄

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m a proponent of the Glad Press n Seal B3, because it’s easy.  We purchase regularly for food wrap so it’s in my kitchen drawer, seals very well, and I believe may have better OTR and MVTR barrier properties than even parafilm. ...

parafilm is old technology, been around since days of alchemy.  Glad is new hi-tek product designed for advanced food freshness, preserving texture and FLAVOR.  I suspect both will hold water and alcohol well.  I have no idea which would hold oxygen better.  Parafilm holds many organic compounds but not others, also some organics dissolve parafilm; Glad probably more chemical resistant.  This is an important point brought up by a SB'er member; premium bottles often prized for their congeners, and if Glad holds better consider Glad. 

Hence, I prefer feel and tight wrap from parafilm so "sticking" with it.  But on precious I'll add Glad over the parafilm...  

This isn't rocket science, but those of you using Parafilm and/or Glad, are you wrapping the entire neck where it meets the cork and top of cork? Any pics? 

Drinking it faster with good friends helps too.  That's been my open bottle strategy for the last three years or so. :)

• I like it 3

On 1/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, BigRich said:

Drinking it faster with good friends helps too.  That's been my open bottle strategy for the last three years or so. :)

I'm all for that. Unfortunately, this pandemic is hindering that quite a bit. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.