What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Yeah .. im not loving the saos. This bottle is unique and like a buck killed too early, this couldve been a special barrel in a few more years. Im looking forward to when saos gets 8,9, 10 yrs old again. I really want to set a minimum for bourbon (for me)no less than 7 yrs . But how dis HH get it so right at 6? Maybe MGP doesnt hit its stride until 7,8,9? 
Have not tried New Riff because its so young.

Are you comparing batched HH 6 year BiB vs. Single Barrel SAOS MGP?

Batching can bring out the best quantities and consistency, regardless of age statements.

Single Barrels are just that.  Nowhere to hide flaws.  You get what you get.

For every honey barrel, there has to be at least one opposite right?

I learned a few years ago not to buy singles / store picks without tasting first, and generally still follow that rule (with some exceptions for rarity).

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Yeah .. im not loving the saos. This bottle is unique and like a buck killed too early, this couldve been a special barrel in a few more years. Im looking forward to when saos gets 8,9, 10 yrs old again. I really want to set a minimum for bourbon (for me)no less than 7 yrs . But how dis HH get it so right at 6? Maybe MGP doesnt hit its stride until 7,8,9?

I'm no distiller, but I know it's all in the warehouse and barrel location within the warehouse.  I've had some 5 and 6 year MGP barrel select that were quite good, albeit younger than ideal.  But still good.  I've also had awful 5 yr MGP that I poured out.

• I like it 1

I opened a bottle of Weller SR last night and had a couple of pours with a a dinner of a T-bone and a grilled romaine salad.

I'm enjoying the SR lately.

• I like it 3

@0895 inspired me to open an ECBP PS. This one is good...not great. A bit nutty...sugar coated toasted almonds..and maybe a hint of some red fruit.

20220726_193302.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

...This one is good...not great. A bit nutty...

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

@0895 inspired me to open an ECBP PS. This one is good...not great. A bit nutty...sugar coated toasted almonds..and maybe a hint of some red fruit.

20220726_193302.jpg

Looks like my glass is on the right. 👀 

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Clueby said:

20220726_193302.jpg

Hmmm - those glasses look hauntingly familiar . . . . . .   🤓

• I like it 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, FasterHorses said:

Have not tried New Riff because its so young.

I was at the distillery Saturday, they have several 6yr olds available. 

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

Back from the States with some bottles in hand.  Both are good.  Faster Horses was right, and as predicted: "Thank you!".  The Dry Fly is very good.

IMG_1833.jpg

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, Phil T said:

I was at the distillery Saturday, they have several 6yr olds available. 

Prost!!  Phil 

And they are pretty darn good.  I got to try some in April. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

And they are pretty darn good.  I got to try some in April. 

I've only tried the one Rye, but their 4 yr old stuff I thought punched above its weight.  Glad to see more 6 yrs coming out!

• I like it 1

Cracked open a 750ml of Old Forester 100.  I'm starting to warm up to OF100 after being underwhelmed with my earlier bottles.  Funny how the palate changes over time.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Cracked open a 750ml of Old Forester 100.  I'm starting to warm up to OF100 after being underwhelmed with my earlier bottles.  Funny how the palate changes over time.

It might not be just your palate @Kepler. 🙄 Just sayin’. <_<

Biba! Joe

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It might not be just your palate @Kepler. 🙄 Just sayin’. <_<

Biba! Joe

You're probably right about that.  Funny, I thought about that when I posted, but I decided my palate is probably more inconsistent than B-F's whiskey! 😀 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

You're probably right about that.  Funny, I thought about that when I posted, but I decided my palate is probably more inconsistent than B-F's whiskey! 😀 

It is. 🙂

• I like it 1

Another bottle from my "hoarding" period.  I  purchased this in 2015.  I've noticed that the new Small Batch labels have gone to a darker 'burnt orange' tint, whereas the older ones like this one were brighter, like a safety orange color. 

20220806_192050.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

45 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Another bottle from my "hoarding" period.  I  purchased this in 2015.  I've noticed that the new Small Batch labels have gone to a darker 'burnt orange' tint, whereas the older ones like this one were brighter, like a safety orange color. 

20220806_192050.jpg

I noticed this a few years ago as well.  For whatever reason, I like the brighter orange better.

Pour me a virtual glass there, friend.  😁

Just for fun, here’s an sbs showing the color change.

90EA3D5A-C19E-491A-AAA2-F56D82D30659.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Pour me a virtual glass there, friend.  😁

Consider it poured buddy. 🥃

Thanks for posting that pic.  I was too lazy to do it myself 🙂

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:
2 hours ago, 0895 said:

I noticed this a few years ago as well.  For whatever reason, I like the brighter orange better.

new Small Batch labels have gone to a darker 'burnt orange' tint, whereas the older ones like this one were brighter, like a safety orange color. 

20220806_192050.jpg

Burnt Orange & Safety Orange???? 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮  Hmmmmm, maybe I won’t be drinking CEHT SmB anymore. 

BOOMER! 😁

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Burnt Orange & Safety Orange???? 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮  Hmmmmm, maybe I won’t be drinking CEHT SmB anymore. 

BOOMER! 😁

Someone is still bitter about getting generic brand crayons growing up.  🙃

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Hahahahaha 😁

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Or maybe Texas and Oklahoma State? But what would a guy who went to a college that didn't have a football team (my "Tiger Mom" wouldn't let me go somewhere where I might play instead of study) know?????  🤪

• I like it 3

On 8/7/2022 at 6:40 AM, GeeTen said:

Or maybe Texas and Oklahoma State? But what would a guy who went to a college that didn't have a football team (my "Tiger Mom" wouldn't let me go somewhere where I might play instead of study) know?????  🤪

Winner winner, Chicken Dinner!!  I itch when I see orange. Especially burnt orange.  You know your colleges sir, I tip my hat to you. 
Gee, Once again you show you wisdom & why you are our BOTY!!  
I think your Mom, made a wise decision. 😊

Cheers

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.