Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:03 PM, Davesnothere said:

I do love me some JDBP. I'm not certain how far you are from TN. I'm just 20 miles south of the state line and all the liquor stores in South Central TN have them on the shelf.

If you don't mind my asking, how much on the average is the JDSBBP going for in South Central Tennessee?  I have seen it lately in Wisconsin for $71.99, and just tonight for $64.99. I will be traveling through a chunk of TN in a few weeks, and wonder out loud if it's worth my while to search some out while passing through. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Thomm said:

If you don't mind my asking, how much on the average is the JDSBBP going for in South Central Tennessee?  I have seen it lately in Wisconsin for $71.99, and just tonight for $64.99. I will be traveling through a chunk of TN in a few weeks, and wonder out loud if it's worth my while to search some out while passing through. 

It's about the same in Tn. I think I paid $68 plus tax on the last 750ml I bought. Most stores around here have the 375ml and that makes it easier and cheaper to sample different barrels. If you have a chance stop by the distillery. They often have something in the gift shop that's not readily available in stores. We swing by around once a month, and last month they had Sinatra Select for $150 including taxes. Around here it's usually $200-$225 plus tax retail.

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 2

I'm not a big AE fan, but I tried this one while on vacation near Palm Beach.

A LS had a bunch of picks, and let us try them and it was/is very good. It came down to this, or a KC pick. 

It was close, but I chose the AE, because  I can find KC picks pretty much everywhere.

20221222_232706.jpg

• I like it 2

Needed to clear out a few low-fill bottles to make room for some anticipated holiday bottles.  So, here's the latest gang to go bin-diving before the roll to the curb.

The only one of these that's a one-off in my bourbon experience is the Barterhouse.  That bottle was actually hiding in the back of a cabinet shelf and I had forgotten about it and it's last couple of ounces.  It still tasted as I remembered -- dark, rich, and very oaky.  Not surprising for a 20 yr. old.  It actually reminded me of the latest extra-aged bottle I acquired recently -- Calumet 16 yr.  I seem to be on an "oak kick" lately, and these taste especially nice with the scent of the fireplace being cranked up today and the next few days (a rare occurrence in my part of the world!).  Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

Empty Bottles 122322.jpg

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Needed to clear out a few low-fill bottles to make room for some anticipated holiday bottles.

Those holiday bottles were so much easier before I "got into" bourbon.  Now I'm afraid someone will say, "Matt likes bourbon, let's get him a bottle of Jim Beam."

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm not a big AE fan, but I tried this one while on vacation near Palm Beach.

A LS had a bunch of picks, and let us try them and it was/is very good. It came down to this, or a KC pick. 

It was close, but I chose the AE, because  I can find KC picks pretty much everywhere.

20221222_232706.jpg

Quite fitting that the buffalo (glass) is seeing the angel earn its final wings.  The Buffalo is a sentimental sort of glass.  

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Needed to clear out a few low-fill bottles to make room for some anticipated holiday bottles.  So, here's the latest gang to go bin-diving before the roll to the curb.

The only one of these that's a one-off in my bourbon experience is the Barterhouse.  That bottle was actually hiding in the back of a cabinet shelf and I had forgotten about it and it's last couple of ounces.  It still tasted as I remembered -- dark, rich, and very oaky.  Not surprising for a 20 yr. old.  It actually reminded me of the latest extra-aged bottle I acquired recently -- Calumet 16 yr.  I seem to be on an "oak kick" lately, and these taste especially nice with the scent of the fireplace being cranked up today and the next few days (a rare occurrence in my part of the world!).  Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

Empty Bottles 122322.jpg

This just goes to show that drinking bourbon is good for the environment.  The more you drink, the more glass bottles that are available for recycling. 

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Quite fitting that the buffalo (glass) is seeing the angel earn its final wings.  The Buffalo is a sentimental sort of glass.  

Yeah...I love that glass...

• I like it 1

They gave their lives so we could have egg-nog! The Rye was used to top off the recipe, which calls for a quart of bourbon. Merry Christmas to all.

DE053B84-10DB-4974-BACD-FAD236D35535.jpeg

• I like it 4

I finally finished this last night. It’s been open a few years and we definitely had some moments. But this 2017 turned out pretty average. I’ve wanted to kill this bottle for weeks but was hard to reach for when I have so much great open whiskey. I feel like the last few months I’ve purchased some incredible whiskey. And most of it 4-6 years old. 

36418DFF-7BF4-4671-8DD2-77262E7D4194.jpeg

• I like it 4

Emptied a bottle of 1.75 EC Small Batch into my decanter last night. I'm guessing it will need a refill by the end of the long weekend.

• I like it 2

Headed to the bin. All were excellent. The JB SiB was the standout though. If I took a sip and held it in my mouth with my eyes closed, it was almost a perfect mix between Distillers Cut and Bakers. Maybe it's just this barrel, but I will be going back for more as it's currently on sale for $30 at a place near me.

IMG_4223.jpg

• I like it 3

42 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Headed to the bin. All were excellent. The JB SiB was the standout though. If I took a sip and held it in my mouth with my eyes closed, it was almost a perfect mix between Distillers Cut and Bakers. Maybe it's just this barrel, but I will be going back for more as it's currently on sale for $30 at a place near me.

IMG_4223.jpg

Never have tried the JB SiB. Probably should as I like the Beam profile generally, and your description makes it sound pretty dang appealing at its price point.

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_4223.jpg

Hmmmm....I'm intrigued by the JB SiB.

I passed on one for $48.00, but I would be all over it for $30.00

• I like it 3

This one was hanging around too long.

I've had it on the bar for a couple of years and rarely reach for it. 

I doubt that I'll replace it.

20221230_192825.jpg

• I like it 1

The empties so far from this holiday break. Will probably be a couple more before I go back to work. 

DD2AFBB8-CA8C-406E-8F65-DAA428A4D9A7.jpeg

• I like it 7

Well, not empty yet; but tonight, I expect I'll be pouring the last of a bottle of William Heavenhill SB, 14-years old, 115-proof from several years ago.   

While not exactly barrel proof (this batch of 30-barrels were all cut to the same ABV, to make consistent labelling), it stands up very well against true 'barrel-proofers'.   It has a wonderfully full, deep texture on the palate, as well as a lovely and striking nose.  I sampled this barrel during (I think) a "Speakeasy" tour (or something?), and even though it hurt to pry the wallet that far open, I had to have a bottle.     I've regretted only a few of my 'extravagant' Bourbon purchases, and this is definitely NOT one of 'em.    It's one of the most satisfying pours I've ever owned, and I'll be a little sad to see it emptied; but, I have no regrets, having shared and enjoyed it so well over the years.   

Here's to 2023!   May it be worthy of the sacrifice....

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Well, not empty yet; but tonight, I expect I'll be pouring the last of a bottle of William Heavenhill SB, 14-years old, 115-proof from several years ago.   

While not exactly barrel proof (this batch of 30-barrels were all cut to the same ABV, to make consistent labelling), it stands up very well against true 'barrel-proofers'.   It has a wonderfully full, deep texture on the palate, as well as a lovely and striking nose.  I sampled this barrel during (I think) a "Speakeasy" tour (or something?), and even though it hurt to pry the wallet that far open, I had to have a bottle.     I've regretted only a few of my 'extravagant' Bourbon purchases, and this is definitely NOT one of 'em.    It's one of the most satisfying pours I've ever owned, and I'll be a little sad to see it emptied; but, I have no regrets, having shared and enjoyed it so well over the years.   

Here's to 2023!   May it be worthy of the sacrifice....

Ah man I hear you my friend. I finished one of these this past year and completely agree with your descriptions of it. These WHH bottles are always great and even though they hurt the wallet I pretty much always open it up for one. 

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Hmmm, last post was Dec 31...no bottle kills since then?  Is everybody doing Dry January?

There's a new 2023 thread for empties. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.