What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Last week at a local store I was surprised to see OWA and WSR, I wasn't surprised at the price, $49.99 and $89.99.  I thought they could stay on the shelf.

I’d have passed too Will. The last WSR I saw was $29.99. That one I bought. The last OWA I saw was last fall. It was $99.99. That one I didn’t buy. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

Go get yourself some Maker's Mark and forget about it.

Exactly.  MM Cask Strength is a pretty good substitute and a lot less expensive.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’d have passed too Will. The last WSR I saw was $29.99. That one I bought. The last OWA I saw was last fall. It was $99.99. That one I didn’t buy. 

Biba! Joe

The prior WSR I found was at the state minimum price of $24.99, limit was one.  That was at least a year ago.

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

Go get yourself some Maker's Mark and forget about it.

Words of experience...

I'm surprised the advice from this crowd wasn't to get the Maker's Mark 101. But yeah, Maker's Mark is better than WSR to me. Without having had the MM 101 (it's on my list to try), I like OWA better than the standard MM products though.

• I like it 3

The only thing I didn't like about MMCS is messing around with the red wax.  Yes, I know it's their trademark but I can live without it.

2 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

The only thing I didn't like about MMCS is messing around with the red wax.  Yes, I know it's their trademark but I can live without it.

Have you had MM101 yet? Knowing that you are a wheater guy I think you would like it. The wax is worth it for this one.

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Have you had MM101 yet? Knowing that you are a wheater guy I think you would like it. The wax is worth it for this one.

I haven't but it's certainly something that I would try.  I haven't bought much bourbon in the past year.  The wax is only a problem once, actually I'd sooner have that problem than a broken cork.

Stopped by one store today with a locked case full of WSR and OWA.  When I asked how much, the clerk said she had to call the owner for pricing on those.  I told her not to bother, it would likely be more than I would pay if they weren’t even in the inventory system and I wasn’t prepared to give up a kidney.

• I like it 7

Odd saw this decanter today at a non liquor shop.  From a quick google search looks like it’s 12 year Ezra Brooks.  Cork, while damaged still looks to be there.  I might need to make the guy an offer if it appears there’s anything in there.  

04445AC3-C1C3-44AB-BB6A-DBE1276E10DC.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Odd saw this decanter today at a non liquor shop.  From a quick google search looks like it’s 12 year Ezra Brooks.  Cork, while damaged still looks to be there.  I might need to make the guy an offer if it appears there’s anything in there.  

04445AC3-C1C3-44AB-BB6A-DBE1276E10DC.jpeg

I got a sealed one of those in the last year.  The whiskey smelled good, but was badly oxidized and somewhat cloudy.  I wouldn’t put forth a significant investment.

I passed on all of these after skiing and settled for a beer.  Bourbon & skiing don't mix for me.  But I was surprised at the selection they could offer for a bar on a ski slope.

IMG_4198.jpg

• I like it 6

On 1/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, Special Reserve said:

The wax is only a problem once, actually I'd sooner have that problem than a broken cork.

Indeed sir.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I passed on all of these after skiing and settled for a beer.  Bourbon & skiing don't mix for me.  But I was surprised at the selection they could offer for a bar on a ski slope.

IMG_4198.jpg

aspen highlands?

On 1/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, Special Reserve said:

The MM red wax is the gold standard of current wax tops. If you find it difficult to open then you really need to stay away from the KC and Michters wax tops. . . 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

The MM red wax is the gold standard of current wax tops. If you find it difficult to open then you really need to stay away from the KC and Michters wax tops. . . 

Not hard, just a nuisance, and yes Knob can be a pain in the ass to open.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, kemosabe said:

IMG_4198.jpg

That IS a nice selection!  

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

I got a sealed one of those in the last year.  The whiskey smelled good, but was badly oxidized and somewhat cloudy.  I wouldn’t put forth a significant investment.

Sounds like a pass, thanks for the response.

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Nothing says Irish and Saint Patrick’s day like Kentucky Owl LE bourbon…   ☘️ 

CF5599DB-DAAA-436B-88C5-DEE4E7F42768.jpeg

The imaginary pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if a fairly apt metaphor for such a release.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Nothing says Irish and Saint Patrick’s day like Kentucky Owl LE bourbon…   ☘️ 

CF5599DB-DAAA-436B-88C5-DEE4E7F42768.jpeg

Would I be correct in assuming this is just their Confiscated in a fancy outfit? The price says maybe….

10 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Would I be correct in assuming this is just their Confiscated in a fancy outfit? The price says maybe….

🤷🏻‍♂️

3DAA4527-490D-4C80-8DE2-BCDC19958E72.jpeg

• I like it 3

Passed on ECBP C921. The little shop near me that has been carrying it for $54.99 (I've bought most batches the past couple years there) finally raised it's price to $66.99. The increase caused me to baulk, although I suppose that price is just catching up to the times and current retail. Will probably grudgingly go back and get one.

• I like it 1

Went to a museum disguised as a liquor store. They had almost every 'chase' bottle of modern times you can think of. Had a nice conversation with the lady as she explained the owner's philosophy. Glad I didn't meet him as I have met enough a@@holes in my time...

What did I pass on? Here are the highlights:

JM Cigar Blend - $299 (the only one that tempted me)

Pappy 15 - $3500

Blanton's/OWA/WSR - $239

ER - $199

OE7 - $99

Remus V - $129 (maybe the most reasonable bottle)

P.S. Fasterhorses - It's on the Beach incase you were wondering

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.