What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, hughewil said:

have a private single barrel selection of sagamore spirits on the way

Those are really good, underrated.  I have a 6 year store pick that's fantastic. 

• I like it 1

Happy Fryeday the 13th. 

Starting a rye flight with some standard Saz. 

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Happy Fryeday the 13th. 

Starting a rye flight with some standard Saz. 

Next is Elijah Craig Rye.   First time trying the ECR, this being a sample from a fellow SBer.   I'll withhold overall judgement on the EC until after another drinking session but based on this SBS I prefer the baby Saz and its not real close.  The EC just seems a bit drab compared to some of the classic rye spice notes of the Saz.  And its not like baby Saz is some kind of flavor bomb either.  I don't have a bottle open at the moment but I know I would take Old Forester Rye over either of these all day long.

I'm looking forward to pour #3 coming up soon, which is 2016 HW Rendezvous.  Not a fair comparison to the others but it's not really meant to be.  The half empty bottle just looked good staring back at me from the cabinet.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Those are really good, underrated.  I have a 6 year store pick that's fantastic. 

what's your opinion on Pikesville, Whistle Pig (10 year), and Old Pepper distillery single barrels?

3 minutes ago, hughewil said:

what's your opinion on Pikesville, Whistle Pig (10 year), and Old Pepper distillery single barrels?

I've never had Old Pepper so I can't offer an opinion on that one.

Pikesville is really hard to beat.  Seems like it's harder to find lately but under $45 it's a giant killer.  I guess that's why it's become harder to find.

WP10 I like but not as much as Pikesville and WP10 has been going up in price a lot.  To the point I don't buy it anymore.  Part of the reason for that is I have a handful of barrel picks already that I'm slowly working through.   But I see new private barrel pick are coming close to $100 lately, so I'm out at that price.   I used to buy it at $65-70.  But I have to say, some of my private barrel picks of WP are incredible.

To me, Pikesville and Whistlepig  each belong to such different subcategories that I hesitate to even compare them ("Kentucky barely legal" rye vs 95-100% rye).  They are so different.  But each of them are among the best of their respective categories.  I almost always prefer Kentucky/barely legal rye whiskies over the full rye whiskies of Indiana/MGP (95%) and Canada/ADL/WP (100%) but they both have their place depending on the mood.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Pikesville is really hard to beat.  Seems like it's harder to find lately but under $45 it's a giant killer.  I guess that's why it's become harder to find.

WP10 I like but not as much as Pikesville and WP10 has been going up in price a lot.  To the point I don't buy it anymore.  Part of the reason for that is I have a handful of barrel picks already that I'm slowly working through.   But I see new private barrel pick are coming close to $100 lately, so I'm out at that price.   I used to buy it at $65-70.  But I have to say, some of my private barrel picks of WP are incredible.

To me, Pikesville and Whistlepig  each belong to such different subcategories that I hesitate to even compare them ("Kentucky barely legal" rye vs 95-100% rye).  They are so different.  But each of them are among the best of their respective categories.  I almost always prefer Kentucky/barely legal rye whiskies over the full rye whiskies of Indiana/MGP (95%) and Canada/ADL/WP (100%) but they both have their place depending on the mood.

Those are my 3 favorite rye's to date.

2 minutes ago, hughewil said:

Those are my 3 favorite rye's to date.

Good taste.  I'll have to try the Old Pepper one of these days.

I'm a huge fan of Old Forester 100 proof rye.  It's absolutely unique.  But it drinks neat as much like a bourbon as it does a rye.  Kind of like JD rye, perhaps that's cheating, Lol. 

• I like it 2

Visiting family in Florida...and I cannot complain about the pour of KC rye at the cigar bar near our hotel😁

20220514_232226.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, Kepler said:

Yes, I had some from a different 7 year bottle.  It's good.  Tastes like a nice 7 year MGP rye 🤷‍♂️

Good to know, although, I probably will not have the opportunity to pick one up. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Visiting family in Florida...and I cannot complain about the pour of KC rye at the cigar bar near our hotel😁

20220514_232226.jpg

Visiting family is nice.  But, it should be mandatory that a get-away cigar bar, complete with a healthy booze selection, is located nearby.  Pops needs some “me” time kiddos…🤣

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Visiting family is nice.  But, it should be mandatory that a get-away cigar bar, complete with a healthy booze selection, is located nearby.  Pops needs some “me” time kiddos…🤣

Agreed...but I'm not suffering at all...I'm playing chauffeur to my Mom while she visits her 84 year old sister, (who she hasn't seen in 9 years).  I drop Mom off at my Aunt's,  and scurry back to the pool, so I am getting plenty of "me time". 😉

When I booked the place, just by sheer dumb luck,  it's right across the street from the cigar bar, some great restaurants,  and a liquor store named "Wild Whiskies of the Beach"

On 5/14/2022 at 12:08 AM, Kepler said:

Its always illuminating to note the palate preferences amongst our SB membership. The rye sandbox offers IMO a wider spectrum of flavors than even straight bourbons.

Regarding  the above listed options, I actually prefer Rittenhouse, Pikes younger, lower proof cousin. I LOVE WP 10 and as I am very fond of spice, it would be the clear #1 of those you listed for my taste. I am looking forward to some JEP rye once their own distillate comes of age as I believe they are currently bottling MGP.

lots of great flavors out there re to discover and enjoy.

• I like it 2

On 5/14/2022 at 12:18 AM, Kepler said:

I'm a huge fan of Old Forester 100 proof rye. 

So if I could get it at $23/bottle, I should do so?  Seems like a good deal for something several of you have mentioned.  

Note:  Not an attempt to resell.  Just never tried it.  I have Whistlepig 10 (way pricier) and Rittenhouse (for cocktails) and liked them.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

51 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

So if I could get it at $23/bottle, I should do so? 

Yes you should.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

So if I could get it at $23/bottle, I should do so?  Seems like a good deal for something several of you have mentioned.  

Note:  Not an attempt to resell.  Just never tried it.  I have Whistlepig 10 (way pricier) and Rittenhouse (for cocktails) and liked them.

Only if you want to experience one of the best values in American straight rye whiskey.  😀

I consider it the WT101 of Rye.  Some might say WT101 Rye is that, but I prefer the OF.  Although I also love WT101R too.

I echo @flahute 's advice, yes go ahead and pick that up.  That's the price I pay for it btw.

Edited by Kepler
American straight whiskey. Not straight American whiskey which is not the same thing Lol
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes you should.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I echo @flahute 's advice, yes go ahead and pick that up.  That's the price I pay for it btw.

There was a ton of it all over Central Ohio.  The Boy got 6 for me at Kroger.  A wee gamble, but you guys never let me down.  Figured best to have them while they are easy to get.

As always, thanks for the tips and I will report back.  It'll take a few months for these to make their way from OH down to PR.

38 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

There was a ton of it all over Central Ohio.  The Boy got 6 for me at Kroger.  A wee gamble, but you guys never let me down.  Figured best to have them while they are easy to get.

As always, thanks for the tips and I will report back.  It'll take a few months for these to make their way from OH down to PR.

closest bottle to me is up by cleveland 😥

I am having a buddy include a bottle along with the EH taylor, 1972 full proof, and larceny barrel proof he is sending

26 minutes ago, hughewil said:

I am having a buddy include a bottle along with the EH taylor, 1972 full proof, and larceny barrel proof he is sending

That's a good buddy to have, especially on the EH Taylor.  

I'm happy to have my son pick up as many bottles as you want in C-Bus.  There were tons of them.  If I remember correctly, he is headed to Y-Town first weekend of June.  Driving right by Akron on 76. He can drop them off with a receipt for reimbursement at cost.   

You can thank me next time I hit Luigi's.

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

That's a good buddy to have, especially on the EH Taylor.  

I'm happy to have my son pick up as many bottles as you want in C-Bus.  There were tons of them.  If I remember correctly, he is headed to Y-Town first weekend of June.  Driving right by Akron on 76. He can drop them off with a receipt for reimbursement at cost.   

You can thank me next time I hit Luigi's.

I am part of a tight online community with some real good people.  some of them have better access to different allocated bottles and we help each other out.  I have sent a few weller antique which I can get more regularly than many outside of Ohio.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, hughewil said:

I am part of a tight online community with some real good people.  some of them have better access to different allocated bottles and we help each other out.  I have sent a few weller antique which I can get more regularly than many outside of Ohio.

I've had a much easier time getting Weller SR than Antique from Ohio contacts; the latter disappears fast.

• I like it 1

Old Forester is making plenty of their 100 proof rye.  Shouldn't be too hard to find in most markets anyway.  The good news is, it doesn't require much time in barrels to taste good, and OF is going to continue to make plenty of it.  Unlike some of those BT products mentioned.

• I like it 5

Old Forrester 100 has become hard to find around here. So when i do see it and im low I generally grab 6. It seems to keep me in stock, and as a bonus I usually get a discount. On topic I have had a regular cold. So i haven't had anything for a week. But I'm feeling much better today. So a pour of cornerstone while grilling some cheeseburgers was in order.

• I like it 1

Though I've couple pikesvilles in larder already, had to grab 3 more as they're hard to get here.  now knee deep in pikesville and that's plan for evening.  now I have to stay away from the politics threads, or it could get bad.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.