What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I definitely have a soft spot for the rj cooper stuff. This may be the worst rye they have ever produced. It is still good enough I intend to purchase at least 2-3 more. The alberta sourced stuff does still shine through. However it is noticeably different then the original pick.

20220520_171704.jpg

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

So I definitely have a soft spot for the rj cooper stuff. This may be the worst rye they have ever produced. It is still good enough I intend to purchase at least 2-3 more. The alberta sourced stuff does still shine through. However it is noticeably different then the original pick.

20220520_171704.jpg

alberta got some good stuff.  whistle pig likes it.  you tried Masterson's 10 year from alberta.  Here, it is $75 but good sip in my book.  And then there's unknown source Jefferson's 25 year (alberta?), elegant.  

Happy FRYeday!  Earlier enjoyed a few of HW Double Rye PS. I really like their finished rye. 
Finishing out the evening with Baby Saz.  Nice. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

Picked up bottles of baby Saz, WT101, and HW double rye.  Rye is becoming my go to pour lately.

• I like it 2

I still think this reminds me of gummy lifesavers candy.

Not a bad thing, but I definitely have to be in the mood.

85AED3C8-9932-4CFD-95C8-140F0109A603.jpeg

• I like it 2

Had my first pours of HW double rye last night. It's been a few years since my last bottle and I don't remember it being so excellent. Will pick up another soon.

Cracked open and had a small pour of Hughes Belle of Bedford last night. Is a barrel pick from a local group.

ABE3A5DB-FBBC-41B0-AE0C-C804601BD016.thumb.jpeg.cae02a81ac0e6ed98a4f7a5d7da5610d.jpeg

• I like it 2

Tonight was a tasting and a half. Already done because its a school night. Note these were all small pours. Old overholt 11, phc rye, kc 2009 (surprise from the back of a shelf!), blue run golden, back to oo11, then finishing off a o.o 114. Just because we were talking about it and it had been a while.

The last two nights have had several pours of my first Old Pepper bottle. It's not bad but just seems to smooth for my taste.

• I like it 1

Last night had 3 small Glencairn pours of the Hughes Belle of Bedford that I opened 2 nights ago. It's very good. Rye spice forward and some stewed apricot and grilled peach flavors.

• I like it 2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:20 PM, hughewil said:

cracked this open tonight

ofrye.thumb.jpeg.7338cbf2a9742ee1d00f210defa5212f.jpeg

Show off! 😀  I really like this one but I haven't seen it in Indy in a few years.

• I like it 1

I was looking for a little "rough-around-the-edges" rye tonight so having a few pours of WTR101.

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was looking for a little "rough-around-the-edges" rye tonight so having a few pours of WTR101.

Ha.

101 rye is sweet, creamy, flavorful, and arguably somewhat friendly IMO.

:)

• I like it 2

So something a little less friendly but ultimately the winner for tonight.

20220530_001513.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, 0895 said:

I still think this reminds me of gummy lifesavers candy.

Not a bad thing, but I definitely have to be in the mood.

85AED3C8-9932-4CFD-95C8-140F0109A603.jpeg

I've never had this nor Lifesavers Gummies for that matter.  But I have had the 100 proof version and I like it, especially for the price. How would you compare the BP to the 100 in flavor profile? 

In the meantime I might need to go pick up some Lifesaver Gummies, lol.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've never had this nor Lifesavers Gummies for that matter.  But I have had the 100 proof version and I like it, especially for the price. How would you compare the BP to the 100 in flavor profile? 

In the meantime I might need to go pick up some Lifesaver Gummies, lol.

I didn’t like the OF 100p rye.  So much so that I gave a half full bottle away to a friend.  The malt just kept powering through as the dominant trait and I couldn’t take it after awhile.

To me, this particular SB BP doesn’t really have any “conventional” rye tastes to it other than the spice.

It’s just so weird and different, that I love it.  Gummy lifesavers is the only thing I can think of to describe it.  Fruity, and with some fake chemical or preservatives stuff going on, just like the candy.

That being said, nobody seems to enjoy this particular bottle like I do, LoL.

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I didn’t like the OF 100p rye.  So much so that I gave a half full bottle away to a friend.  The malt just kept powering through as the dominant trait and I couldn’t take it after awhile.

To me, this particular SB BP doesn’t really have any “conventional” rye tastes to it other than the spice.

It’s just so weird and different, that I love it.  Gummy lifesavers is the only thing I can think of to describe it.  Fruity, and with some fake chemical or preservatives stuff going on, just like the candy.

That being said, nobody seems to enjoy this particular bottle like I do, LoL.

Interesting, thanks for the detail.  I looked it up and confirmed they have the same mash bill, so who knows.  I assume since the BP is also a single barrel, your bottle might be a flyer, but you'd think the profile would be similar as the large batched 100 proof, but I guess you never know.  It sounds like we have different palate preferences, but nothing unusual there.  I think the el cheapo price of the 100 proof rye has a lot to do with the generally positive reviews that it received in the whiskey press when it came out.  I know for me, the low price influences my opinion of it because my expectations weren't super high.  I'm constantly amazed how much I like it compared to more expensive ryes. 

• I like it 1

OF 100 proof Rye this evening. I’m not the worlds biggest OF guy, but this near-full bottle was singing tonight. 

• I like it 5

Some Hughes Belle of Bedford last night. I'm really liking this more and more the more I get into the bottle.

RBBP the last couple of nights.  Enjoyed it so much stopped by the store this morning and it had gone up another $10 so I passed.  Also  passsed on baby Zaz, not paying $59.99 for 80 proof.

I picked up a Liter bottle of Old Forester Rye.  It was only 2 bucks more than the 750 sitting next to it.  No brainer.  This is probably my #2 ranked best bargain in American whiskey next to WT101 bourbon.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.