What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I picked up a Liter bottle of Old Forester Rye.  It was only 2 bucks more than the 750 sitting next to it.  No brainer.  This is probably my #2 ranked best bargain in American whiskey next to WT101 bourbon.

A liter sized bottle of OF Rye?  I was happy to see a store nearby finally get the 750s back in, so I picked one of those up after work today.  If it is not the best bang for the buck in American whiskey then it is a very close 2nd place.

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

A liter sized bottle of OF Rye?  I was happy to see a store nearby finally get the 750s back in, so I picked one of those up after work today.  If it is not the best bang for the buck in American whiskey then it is a very close 2nd place.

Great minds think alike!

🥃

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Great minds think alike!

🥃

At this point id just like to see it readily available on the shelf around here in any size. I haven't seen a liter bottle since before the pandemic. You really should buy another.

5 minutes ago, Mattk said:

At this point id just like to see it readily available on the shelf around here in any size. I haven't seen a liter bottle since before the pandemic. You really should buy another.

Great advice.  But luckily I already had a couple backup 750s.  

Tonight im having a rittenhouse that was tall enough it lasted through dinner and is still going strong. It is as always just what I wanted for an everyday sort of rye.

Edited by Mattk
My autocorrect has been going crazy lately
  • I like it 4

Whistlepig 10 bottle kill at the SkyClub… this one is going to hurt. 

C8320EAB-FAEA-4EE7-A806-415E2861682C.thumb.jpeg.759cd64af0c229696419fd00348963b6.jpeg

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Whistlepig 10 bottle kill at the SkyClub… this one is going to hurt. 

C8320EAB-FAEA-4EE7-A806-415E2861682C.thumb.jpeg.759cd64af0c229696419fd00348963b6.jpeg

I'm gonna guess you had a nice snooze on the flight.

No, but it’s been a long day after Bar Convent Brooklyn and a Brown-Forman tasting event with BenRiach, GlenDronach and GlenGlassaugh. Trying to get some food now. 

On 6/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, TunnelTiger said:

RBBP the last couple of nights.  Enjoyed it so much stopped by the store this morning and it had gone up another $10 so I passed.  Also  passsed on baby Zaz, not paying $59.99 for 80 proof.

I sure hope that was a 1.75 of Baby Saz for $60. The only really cool thing about it is the classic bottle, or as an “intro” pour to get newer people to try rye. 

23 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I sure hope that was a 1.75 of Baby Saz for $60. The only really cool thing about it is the classic bottle, or as an “intro” pour to get newer people to try rye. 

Even for those of us with higher proof rye's baby saz is still a very tasty pour.  Just one that should be had for around $30 for a fifth

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Nope it's the 750.  Just a coouple years ago $32 was the price but no longer.  Even OF100 and OF100 rye has gone up $10 in the last month to $32

I know I’ve posted this before, but I’ll post again. Many years ago, Baby Saz could usually by found here in northern Illinois for just around $30.00. My introduction to it was a private selection from a semi-local store. It was $28.99, and was sweet and more bourbon like. Over the years, the price here went up, especially after the boom hit. The normal was usually around $40.00, give or take a buck or two. The price has since come back down. The norm is now $24.99-$29.99. FWIW, our local Binny’s currently has the 750’s on sale for $24.99, and 175’s at the regular price of $69.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Baby Saz at the new LGA SkyClub… must be a new addition to the roster. 

395E1693-2A4D-4FDB-A4F8-3ABB541D17F0.thumb.jpeg.f58525c03d37fe7f40885af7c8beb627.jpeg

• I like it 1

So.  Per several recommendations here, tried OF Rye.

Accolades well deserved.  Reasonable proof & smoothness, a bit of spice.  May become my go-to for Old Fashioneds & Manhattans (I use rye for those, not bourbon like a savage).  Need to try it side by side with Rittenhouse for definitive results as "straight non-fancy rye of choice".  But we are off to a good start.  Absurd at $23/bottle.  

Thank you for those who rightly pushed this crack my way.  

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, hughewil said:

Even for those of us with higher proof rye's baby saz is still a very tasty pour.  Just one that should be had for around $30 for a fifth

We all have our preferences. It’s still a pass for me 95% of the time at $30. Personally I’ll drink WT101R over Baby Saz all day, every day, and it isn’t even a question. But, that’s just me and others certainly don’t share my opinions

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

Nope it's the 750.  Just a coouple years ago $32 was the price but no longer.  Even OF100 and OF100 rye has gone up $10 in the last month to $32

I was just joking about the 1.75, pointing out how stupid of a price $60 is for Saz. I would certainly rather have OF rye for $32

9 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

We all have our preferences. It’s still a pass for me 95% of the time at $30. Personally I’ll drink WT101R over Baby Saz all day, every day, and it isn’t even a question. But, that’s just me and others certainly don’t share my opinions

I keep at 101, ritt, saz, OF, and an mpg of some sort on my counter. Sometimes multiples deep.

Participated in two barrel picks for two liquor stores in Brooklyn NY yesterday. All Elijah Craig 94 pf. Sip, spit, repeat. We picked 2 barrels, one for each store. The picks were ok.

Came home and poured myself a nice pour of Hughes Belle of Bedford rye. This particular bottle is a pick from a local NJ bourbon group. 95/5 MGP rye. It was so good and so much better than the EC 94 I sampled earlier in the day.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Participated in two barrel picks for two liquor stores in Brooklyn NY yesterday. All Elijah Craig 94 pf. Sip, spit, repeat. We picked 2 barrels, one for each store. The picks were ok.

Came home and poured myself a nice pour of Hughes Belle of Bedford rye. This particular bottle is a pick from a local NJ bourbon group. 95/5 MGP rye. It was so good and so much better than the EC 94 I sampled earlier in the day.

We have the belle available down here to in different versions. But it's often pretty pricy. Any idea on the age?

11 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Good point on preferences!  Both are very well made ryes. Love them both, but WT Rye and Baby Saz taste profiles are so completely different animals on the rye taste profile spectrum, comparing them is almost pointless.  Personal preferences here are Golden, as you say.  

18 hours ago, Mattk said:

We have the belle available down here to in different versions. But it's often pretty pricy. Any idea on the age?

9 yrs.

EE687AD4-0A66-4AC2-B386-0015A212D5EC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5859f2178874a38aee4df22dde5ca14e.jpeg

19 hours ago, Mattk said:

I keep at 101, ritt, saz, OF, and an mpg of some sort on my counter. Sometimes multiples deep.

In terms of the juice in the glass Saz just doesn’t do much for me. The bottle is a classic though. The OF is a great value. I like quite a few expressions of MGP rye. Ritt has been hit or miss for me ever since they switched back to their own distillate. I was a bigger fans when it was DSP 354. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.