What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to a Backbone bourbon and rye tasting last night. It was all various iterations of MGP. They do a pretty decent job of batching and barrel selection. The 6+ year single barrel bourbon pick was pretty good but I though the XRay rye was best thing they offered. It's actually 110 proof, not 100.  They had marked it down to $39.99 for the event but then it rang up at $29.99. 🤷‍♂️

Wasn't a fan of their "Prime" blended bourbon, which apparently also has rye and light whiskey in it 

20220719_184654.jpg

20220719_214623.jpg

• I like it 3

On 6/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, Marekv8 said:

A long search finally ended in Los Angeles…

IMG_8158.thumb.jpg.6015d17262613669e25184acec725888.jpg

Nice! Are you going to try it at some point and see if the price and effort was worth it?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nice! Are you going to try it at some point and see if the price and effort was worth it?

Yes— that’s the plan.

Went into Total Wine to get some empty boxes for our upcoming move, and thought I should at least take a gander down the whiskey aisle.  Came home with a HW Double Rye 'Barrel Select', 49.5% finished for 8 months in Oloroso Sherry.  Managed to wait 26 hours before opening it up, and think I need to find an excuse to get another.  Nose has a really nice malty rye note, with the expected lime/mint/orange notes followed by some darker fruit notes.  On the palate, it was way softer than I expected - one might say 'dangerously drinkable' (drinks more like 43-45% to me).  Definitely rye but that Oloroso Sherry has really smoothed the edges (one might argue too much if you're looking for that rye bite), but the pepper spice builds up in the finish.  

• I like it 3

having a pour of my OPD single barrel

opsb2.thumb.jpeg.eef36f9ce66ae797c9e541ded8a4d3c2.jpeg

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 3

12 minutes ago, hughewil said:

having a pour of my OPD single barrel

opsb2.thumb.jpeg.eef36f9ce66ae797c9e541ded8a4d3c2.jpeg

Does it give any info on the back in terms of which distillery the barrel is from? It has to say at least IN versus KY, but if its KY it could be their juice or not. Just curious 

12 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Does it give any info on the back in terms of which distillery the barrel is from? It has to say at least IN versus KY, but if its KY it could be their juice or not. Just curious 

It says 

"distilled in indiana or kentucky"

lol

3 minutes ago, hughewil said:

It says 

lol

Well that’s a new approach. Not sure it’s legal and it’s certainly annoying

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

distilled.thumb.jpg.caffe390257903dcf71b986e8eb90323.jpg

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, hughewil said:

Generally that's an easy one to figure out. Does it taste like mpg or rusty mint?

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Generally that's an easy one to figure out. Does it taste like mpg or rusty mint?

well no rusty taste, but there is some mint as well as pepper and oak

11 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

11 hours ago, hughewil said:

What clownery.  The owner has bragged about the importance of reviving the original license DSP-KY-5 of the Pepper distillery, but then can’t bother to put the actual state of distillation on the label.  I’ll continue to leave their whiskey on the shelf…🥱

• I like it 6

Was in P'cola FL yesterday for work.  It's a town I travel to periodically when on the hunt.  After wrapping up the work part of the trip, I checked out 2 new stores - one was a chain that just opened a new location on my route.  The other store was something new.  It had an "allocation alley" with bottles in a display case that you could bid on.  It's a quarterly thing, but there wasn't much, if anything, behind the glass that I'd bid on.  I will say that they had some RB and other Irish whiskey offerings that are rarely seen in these parts.  My third whiskey stop was one of my regular stops.  Among the bottles behind the counter was HW Rendezvous Rye with a label that looked a little different from the label on the bottle I tried a couple years ago.  I've been looking for a stand-in for Pikesville since I can't find it anymore.  I remember the HW as a decent pour.  Though a little thin and subtle, it had rye notes that I liked.  After checking the price on the HW bottles behind the counter, I went down the bourbon/rye aisle and found a couple of the older label bottles from 2020 for $10 cheaper so I  got one.  Wasn't exactly what I was looking for but that seems to be the norm these days. 

• I like it 1

Not a newly opened, but enjoying a nice pour of Pikesville this fine Friday-eve.  When I first tried this, I thought it was nice but wasn't sure I'd buy a bottle.  This one seems to be getting better the nearer to the end of the bottle I get - or it's just growing on me ;) 

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, GaryT said:

Not a newly opened, but enjoying a nice pour of Pikesville this fine Friday-eve.  When I first tried this, I thought it was nice but wasn't sure I'd buy a bottle.  This one seems to be getting better the nearer to the end of the bottle I get - or it's just growing on me ;) 

I haven't seen Pikesville in a while.  I usually keep a bottle on hand for boozy old fashioneds, especially when we have company.  Rittenhouse works for me as well, but there's something about a Pikesville Old Fashioned that I find satisfying.  It's about the only mixed drink I make that gets the "oh, wow that's good" compliments from guests.  Hope to find some soon.

• I like it 4

I had a russels sib rye while cooking earlier. Now it is time for one after. The second pour was a bit heavy. Probably won't be hearing much more from me tonight. 

• I like it 1

A2E68FA9-BF36-454A-9822-5922F3675980.thumb.jpeg.edd745a24c842fbe01a455b43a0ad84a.jpeg
Lives up to the hype. Will check back on hughewills notes but I get unexpected big cherry cola notes, looong finish, not one thing offputting, this is an impressive pour. 

• I like it 5

Hi. Guys. Recently. Purchased Store Pick. Traverse City Barrel Proof Rye. 7 yrs4 months. 58.8 ABV. This stuff in my opinion is Fantastic. I went back and purchased 3 additional bottles. It was a SWFLBS. SOUTHWEST FLORIDA BURBON SOCIETY PICK. If I run across a different version. I will buy again. Enjoy. Guys. Creggor

Ok. I have also purchased. Rare Breed Rye. & Sagamore Double Oak Rye. My pallet preferred the Rare Breed Rye over the Sagamore Double Oak. Several of my friends really liked the Sagamore. But it was in a blind that did not include other ryes.  Enjoy Creggor

• I like it 1

Got myself a 750 and a 175 baby saz, 2 WT101 ryes, a ritt, an OF100 rye, and a RRSIB rye today. The 175 baby saz is ridiculous but I love it. Its quite the value if you find it in the right spot, but ultimately a bit awkward to pour from. Scored the wife a BT bourbon cream as well.

• I like it 5

On 7/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, hughewil said:

It says 

lol

I never looked at the main label but the tax stamp label specifies IN or KY. A tour/tasting a couple years back was promising in terms of their site distilled whiskey. I am looking forward to stopping in this spring to see if  its realizing its promise, at least 4yrs old and site distilled, if so I will certainly pickup a bottle.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.