What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Mattk said:

Today I got another 14 year LDI and three pikesvilles.

20220812_163337.jpg

Nice score on the Pikesville.  It's been scarce lately in my neck of the woods.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nice score on the Pikesville.  It's been scarce lately in my neck of the woods.

Yeah its not been coming in at all up here in Maryland for quite a while. So ive decided to bunker a bunch. They can still be found in smaller hole in the wall shops, but the larger spots have all been out for a long time.

• I like it 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Mattk said:

Today I got another 14 year LDI and three pikesvilles.

20220812_163337.jpg

big fan of pikesville

The whistlepig is very good, but not worth the price.  There are other rye's as good ro better for less.

wpnew.thumb.jpeg.cc1e7682a777b590a8ed3de62f85860b.jpeg

Went out to dinner with the wife tonight.   Had a nice pre-dinner KC Rye based old fashioned cocktail.  Their whiskey list was very nice so I ordered a couple of after dinner pours while we were there. 

Abraham Bowman LE #12 (a bourbon) and then a Lock Stock & Barrel 13 year Rye.  The LSB is an excellent whiskey.  I was wishing I had a sample of the LSB 16 year from bottle at home to compare SBS

No worries, because I'm home now and just poured some 16 year.  Yep, as good as the 13 yr is, I love the 16 even better.  Damn I wish I would have bought a backup bottle or three back when these were released.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

I went back for a second pour of the LSB 16 Yr because it tasted so damn exquisite tonight. 

I want to make that bottle last, so switching up to a different rye.  I almost went for the Michter's BP Rye but decided to keep it in the 100% rye category so I poured some Whistlepig 15 year Estate store barrel pick.  As nice as this is, I still preferred the LSB 16 year over this.

• I like it 1

I just finished a bottle of Willett 6 year old rye that we selected in 2019 (Packages & More) that wasn't delivered until late 2020.  I have had the pleasure of drinking some great ryes over the years, including the HW 21 year old (incredibly good), the Sazerac 18 year old and the Van Winkle 13 year old.  This Willett 6 year old was as good as any rye I've ever had.  Now that a couple of years have passed since we selected it, I can only imagine what an 8 year old bottle might taste like.  Whether you love or hate Willett, they definitely have a great recipe for rye whiskey.

• I like it 1

I've been trying to cull low fills,  but strayed and reached for this one instead 😁

20220814_185815.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

So ive never met him, but he seems like he is fun. Kaveh got his honors. And I really liked this contract distilled rye of his. Cheers to rabbit hole.

20220818_195308.jpg

• I like it 2

1st purchase in a while, as I've been culling bottles. This is to replace a nearly empty bottle, (and was on sale), so I couldn't resist. 

20220819_094124.jpg

• I like it 3

Im continuing to bunker some of my shelf favorites that seem to be becoming scarce around my way. Grabbed a couple of OF ryes, a rye'd on pinhook, and a couple more pikesvilles.

20220819_174040.jpg

• I like it 5

19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Last pour from my '15 THH.   I'll be missing this one.

Taps is being hummed my friend.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Taps is being hummed my friend.

Nice gesture for the fallen one.  😟😄

• I like it 1

Some of you know that I need to be in the mood for rye because otherwise I get too much mint and it turns me off (THH is the rare exception that I can drink any night). 

Well, I seem to be on a major rye kick right now. First it was a Wilderness pick I did about 3-4 yrs ago. I always liked it but it was singing so I crushed the bottle. Next up was a WTRB Rye. When this first came out I hated it but for a different reason - it tasted very grain forward to me like it wasn't aged enough. Enough of you were singing it's praises - folks that I know have a good palate - so I knew it was me. I pulled it out of the bunker and holy hell is it good. Crushed that bottle. Now I'm cruising through a KCSiB Rye the I picked about 5 yrs ago.

So funny how are palates can shift at any moment.

• I like it 7

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Some of you know that I need to be in the mood for rye because otherwise I get too much mint and it turns me off (THH is the rare exception that I can drink any night). 

Well, I seem to be on a major rye kick right now. First it was a Wilderness pick I did about 3-4 yrs ago. I always liked it but it was singing so I crushed the bottle. Next up was a WTRB Rye. When this first came out I hated it but for a different reason - it tasted very grain forward to me like it wasn't aged enough. Enough of you were singing it's praises - folks that I know have a good palate - so I knew it was me. I pulled it out of the bunker and holy hell is it good. Crushed that bottle. Now I'm cruising through a KCSiB Rye the I picked about 5 yrs ago.

So funny how are palates can shift at any moment.

Good observation about palates.  I've recently had a similar experience with Old Forester Bourbon.  I went through a phase recently when I just wasn't digging it no matter when I tried it.  Then just about a month or so ago, I started to really get into it again.  I haven't been crushing a lot of bottles but I have been reaching for the various OF opens much more frequently.   Go figure.

• I like it 2

Happy fRYEday. Going with some Sazerac. I like it. A little plain, but has nice flavor. 
Happy weekend to everyone. 

Cheers 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Last pour from my '15 THH.   I'll be missing this one.

That had to have been fun going through the bottle. 

Cheers 

15 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

That had to have been fun going through the bottle. 

Cheers 

Definitely it was.  I'll definitely miss that bottle but it accomplished its mission -- being the source of many happy pours and great times shared with drinking buddies 😀

• I like it 1

The box for the LSB21 was obviously hacked together by a middle school wood shop class-- what a piece of crap. We broke into the Slow & Low Coffee Old Fashioned at the LS-- it's almost like a coffee + fernet combo in a single pour-- interesting.

IMG_8687.thumb.jpg.639a876df29dccf21f2afcff776c65c2.jpg

• I like it 4

This is the best rye I have ever tried, had it at a friend's house yesterday.  Does anything compare to it?  It seems to be very hard to get.

This trip to KY and bad influences like Hughewil have me getting into rye.  Having fun with it and much else besides.

Rye Goodness.jpg

• I like it 3

On 8/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I never looked at the main label but the tax stamp label specifies IN or KY. A tour/tasting a couple years back was promising in terms of their site distilled whiskey. I am looking forward to stopping in this spring to see if  its realizing its promise, at least 4yrs old and site distilled, if so I will certainly pickup a bottle.

Keep us posted, I want to get on board with these guys but the dubious nature is a turnoff for sure.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

This is the best rye I have ever tried, had it at a friend's house yesterday.  Does anything compare to it?  It seems to be very hard to get.

This trip to KY and bad influences like Hughewil have me getting into rye.  Having fun with it and much else besides.

Rye Goodness.jpg

The JD rye is a special animal and nothing else tastes similar.  I believe the one your friend has there was a distillery-only bottle released prior to the nationwide special release they did a couple of years ago as part of their annual rotating LE series.  We heard at the time the BP would become a regular item, but so far no dice.  You can get the non BP single barrel release anytime on store shelves which is similar profile.  Look for a store pick, those can be fantastic as well.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.