What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

This is the best rye I have ever tried, had it at a friend's house yesterday.  Does anything compare to it?  It seems to be very hard to get.

This trip to KY and bad influences like Hughewil have me getting into rye.  Having fun with it and much else besides.

Rye Goodness.jpg

Listen, any influence that gets you drinking rye is anything but bad!

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

This is the best rye I have ever tried, had it at a friend's house yesterday.  Does anything compare to it?  It seems to be very hard to get.

This trip to KY and bad influences like Hughewil have me getting into rye.  Having fun with it and much else besides.

Rye Goodness.jpg

The SBBP rye special release is so amazing, and also so hard to find.  FYI  this is what i was telling you to look for on your trip

jdrye.thumb.jpg.91ac341fe8883516a286dd7d68300f19.jpg

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I believe the one your friend has there was a distillery-only bottle released prior to the nationwide special release they did a couple of years ago as part of their annual rotating LE series.

Yup.  His son managed to get it.  We were honored to be offered a very healthy pour.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

You can get the non BP single barrel release anytime on store shelves which is similar profile.  Look for a store pick, those can be fantastic as well.

Thanks, will do!

44 minutes ago, hughewil said:

Listen, any influence that gets you drinking rye is anything but bad!

🤣 🥳

PS:  I don't think the Wifey is on board.

But she seems to be in the "acceptance" stage.  She bought me a nice bourbon (and, unbeknownst to her, rye) shelf while I was in KY (on the flight back to PR now).  But on her terms, she bought the shelf she liked and not the one I liked.  That'll show me!

• I like it 2

Didn't buy but was gifted a bottle of WP12 by a friend today.

Not something I would have bought  due to the price and proof but that's what makes it even more special.  I get to try something new.  This bottle is heading to Michigan with me tomorrow when I take a short vacation.

Resized_20220823_200010.jpg

• I like it 4

26 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Didn't buy but was gifted a bottle of WP12 by a friend today.

Not something I would have bought  due to the price and proof but that's what makes it even more special.  I get to try something new.  This bottle is heading to Michigan with me tomorrow when I take a short vacation.

Resized_20220823_200010.jpg

I ended up with one of those that I initially wasn’t interested in.

It ended up being really good, and a very nice alternative to MWND.

Now I’m wishing I would have bought a spare.

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

I ended up with one of those that I initially wasn’t interested in.

It ended up being really good, and a very nice alternative to MWND.

Now I’m wishing I would have bought a spare.

Thank you for your insight.  Our palates seem to match up well.  I never look a gift horse in the mouth and I intend to share with four of my best friends while in Michigan.  The price was crazy and the person who gave it to me was definitely looking for something special.  I am sure I will enjoy it on several levels.

To be honest, there are so many layers to it...WP12, wine cask finished, Canadian Rye, store select, etc., I am not sure exactly what it is.  But, it has a great rich color and now your comments make me look more forward to trying it.

• I like it 1

After not seeing it on shelves for a while, some OF rye showed up suddenly at one of the local stores.  So I grabbed one to go with the other one I got this summer while traveling. 

• I like it 1

Tried a new rye tonight.  Even though the bartender gave me a generous pour, it was still not worth the price of admission which admittedly wasn't much.  The rye in question?  New Holland Rye. YMMV.

Opened the WP12 Old World Rye last night.  Could have been off night since we a a rough day of sailing on Lake Michigan but I wasn't really impressed. 

Similar to finished bourbons,  I found the barrel finish diminished the attributes I enjoy in a good rye.  I want a rye to punch me in the mouth and kick my ass not hold my hand and pat me on the butt.

• I like it 4

My dad recently visited New Orleans with work and brought back this, which I have duly cracked open and am enjoying this evening. Cheers!

20220828_200058.jpg

• I like it 6

Two different WFE 9yr single barrel ryes. They were available for purchase to ticket holders at last night's Bourbon Bonanza Benefit. One of them was open for tasting during the event (along with quite a bit of other bourbons and ryes) and that Willett was the best thing I tasted all night. 

• I like it 6

I don’t drink much whiskey in the summer months, heresy I know, but Idid have the occasion to have some the other night. Knob Creek Small Batch Straight Rye. Drank it neat and even at 100 proof it was very smooth. Glad there is some left in the bottle.

• I like it 2

This is really hitting all the right notes this evening.

This would be off the charts, with a couple more years in oak.

20220831_212401.jpg

• I like it 4

30 minutes ago, Kane said:

Went hunting, couldn’t find anything interesting, got this. 

30A65D15-595E-4C7E-BF93-1CB39486702D.jpeg

Can't go wrong with WT101!

On 8/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, beasled said:

My dad recently visited New Orleans with work and brought back this, which I have duly cracked open and am enjoying this evening. Cheers!

20220828_200058.jpg

Your dad has great taste in bottle shops— such a great place. 

• I like it 2

On 8/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, flahute said:

Two different WFE 9yr single barrel ryes. They were available for purchase to ticket holders at last night's Bourbon Bonanza Benefit. One of them was open for tasting during the event (along with quite a bit of other bourbons and ryes) and that Willett was the best thing I tasted all night. 

Not sure what it is about their rye mashbill but it’s divine.

• I like it 2

On 8/31/2022 at 8:30 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is really hitting all the right notes this evening.

This would be off the charts, with a couple more years in oak.

20220831_212401.jpg

Agree, we've been saying this for a couple of years now (4 yo would be even better at 5 or 6 year old).

Come on Willett/KBD:  give us a regular 5 or 6  year shelfie rye!

• I like it 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:12 AM, Marekv8 said:

Your dad has great taste in bottle shops— such a great place. 

That is a cool little store. It’s walkable from my in-laws’ place and I found it by chance a few years ago. They used to have some stuff on the shelves there that wasn’t always available at my locals. Not sure if that’s still the case. Reminds me I’ll have to stop in there on my next trip

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.