What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Opened the WP12 Old World Rye last night.  Could have been off night since we a a rough day of sailing on Lake Michigan but I wasn't really impressed. 

Similar to finished bourbons,  I found the barrel finish diminished the attributes I enjoy in a good rye.  I want a rye to punch me in the mouth and kick my ass not hold my hand and pat me on the butt.

I just don't find WP12 Old World Rye in my wheelhouse.  I will let it sit for awhile and then give it another go.  I felt like an ass-whooping tonight so I opted for WTR 101.  Mission accomplished.  A good rye doesn't need to be expensive.  It just needs to be good.

While I cannot conceivably identify 101 attributes of a whiskey, I still believe I can come up with 101 reasons I prefer WTR 101 over WP 12 OWR.

1. Great Taste

2. Less Filling.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

th.jpg.2dff42e4838e2f7f7a2d2fd11122b032.jpg

• I like it 2

New Riff bib rye, I really like this and will need to nurse this bottle till I can restock in the spring,  I'll be sure to stock up with reinforcements.

• I like it 3

Started the evening off with Crown Royal Noble 16 Year rye.  It was quite delightful, if I can use that fussy term.

I'm gonna make this a FRyeday. 

Kentucky Owl batch 1 in my glass.

• I like it 3

I poured some Michter's 10 yr rye.   I wouldn't normally say this but tonight my palate is liking the M10R better than the Owl rye.  You just never know what your palate will bring to the party.  That's why we have so many different whiskies on hand. 

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

I poured some Michter's 10 yr rye.   I wouldn't normally say this but tonight my palate is liking the M10R better than the Owl rye.  You just never know what your palate will bring to the party.  That's why we have so many different whiskies on hand. 

I think M10 rye is one of those labels that has been anywhere from amazing to underwhelming varying greatly batch to batch, as they’ve mixed and matched juice from different sources over the years.

11 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I think M10 rye is one of those labels that has been anywhere from amazing to underwhelming varying greatly batch to batch, as they’ve mixed and matched juice from different sources over the years.

Well I appreciate that, but I only have one bottle of the M10 rye, therefore only one batch.  I'm just saying that normally I prefer the Kentucky Owl rye over this bottle of Michter's 10.  But last night the M tasted better.

• I like it 1

Work has been going mad lately. So not much time for drinking. Been waking at 3:45am to get it. Tonight though I'm having a double of ritt. Hope to see more of you all sooner then later. But probably work will just be getting crazier. You all know what ritt looks like. So here is my truck in a warehouse.

20220915_122821.jpg

• I like it 5

Certainly not purchased in ‘22, but opened in ‘22. I probably bought this Jeff 10 YR rye about 10 years ago. No need to sit on it anymore, so pulled it out of the bunker and opened it. IIRC, there was KY and Canadian sourced Jeff 10 YR at the end of its run, and this bottle was produced in Canada. Fine rye—not spectacular, but certainly nice. Blast from the past.

88CE731F-9EB5-473B-A360-56DD0E1933E3.jpeg

• I like it 7

I rarely see this one at my usual haunts so, when I saw one at a VA ABC store, I couldn't pass it up.

20220929_180802.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Wrong thread
  • I like it 4

On 9/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, jeffrey r said:

Certainly not purchased in ‘22, but opened in ‘22. I probably bought this Jeff 10 YR rye about 10 years ago. No need to sit on it anymore, so pulled it out of the bunker and opened it. IIRC, there was KY and Canadian sourced Jeff 10 YR at the end of its run, and this bottle was produced in Canada. Fine rye—not spectacular, but certainly nice. Blast from the past.

88CE731F-9EB5-473B-A360-56DD0E1933E3.jpeg

I had a few of the Canadian bottles.  Non-chill filtered with little floaties in the bottom of the bottle.  A great whiskey!  I believe I paid in the mid $20s about 10 years ago.  I wonder what a 10 year old rye of the same quality would cost today?

• I like it 1

Went on a little hunt after work today. Didn't find anything that blew my socks off. Although I am pretty pleased to have stocked another KCCS into the bunker. I did however purchase a few of my regular drinkers. Nothing super exciting, but all solid bottles that I enjoy.

20220930_160725.jpg

• I like it 6

On 9/29/2022 at 7:46 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I had a few of the Canadian bottles.  Non-chill filtered with little floaties in the bottom of the bottle.  A great whiskey!  I believe I paid in the mid $20s about 10 years ago.  I wonder what a 10 year old rye of the same quality would cost today?

Indeed, I remember those - looked like a snow globe.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, markandrex said:

WT Cornerstone for the evening.  

Spent some time last night with Cornerstone as well. Rarely reach for it but it’s so enjoyable. A drop of water and everything comes alive. 

A257FDC5-FB58-46E6-A288-C4B2CC68787B.jpeg

• I like it 3

Haven't had anything to drink this weekend.  Decided to have an opening pour of WP12 Old World Rye Bespoke.  The first few sips were tolerable but I just don't enjoy this whiskey.  No worries.  I will opt for a pour of bourbon to cleanse my palate.  

• I like it 1

The LS manager offered another OFSBBP rye.  What can I say, I’m weak.

8E1D3700-5EFC-4EB0-99A5-808C27BEA53F.jpeg

• I like it 5

I was in a meeting this morning when I received a phone call.  My phone was on mute so I texted the caller to let them know I would call them when the meeting was over.  He told me no need and that he placed something in the front seat of my car.  Since it was close to lunch, I was expecting a Jimmy John's sandwich.  It ended up being a bottle of Woodford Reserve Rye.  Imagine my disappointment since I was really hungry.  🤪

We had a weeklong outage in one of our departments last week and he wanted to pay back me and a few of the engineers/maintenance folks who helped him work through some issues.  

I was just doing my job and I am always willing to go the extra mile to help others.  It was really nice gesture and I am enjoying a couple of pours while watching the Colts-Broncos game.

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.