What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

What do you think of that one?

I'm a big fan of THH, but I never got to try that release.

Some of the reviews say its a bit weird-off the usual profile, but I don't always put merit into what reviewers say.

I love it!  Probably one of my favorite years.  It is a little off profile from other years but not off-putting.

The nose is amazing.  A good oak presence.

The palate is definitely dark chocolate covered cherries.  That evolves into cocoa, orange, coffee and almost cedar.

The finish has vanilla and anise, it is one heck of a ride.

• I like it 2

While out today, I was looking to pick up something I either haven't had before or haven't had in a while.  I passed on KCSiB Rye at Costco.  The price was fair but just wasn't sure it would hit the spot.  Decided to hit a liquor store on the way home, actually thinking I might grab an OGD114 if they had one.  Alas, they didn't.  But they did have KC Rye at a decent price so that it what I grabbed.

I used to drink this pretty regularly when I could get it in NW Indiana for $19.99 a bottle.  This bottle was $10 more.  Ah, the memories.  This whiskey is so rough around the edges, yet approachable.  I am slightly stuffy so the first sip was a little muted and I was wondering if it would hit the spot.  Then, I took the second sip and the spicy rye hit me with a smack on the tongue and lingered into a long finish.  This whiskey disappeared for a while in Indy but I have seen it around recently.  I suspect another bottle will come home with me in the near future.  

I will say that there are a lot of KCSiB 115 store picks every where and have been for a long time.  They are good but even though higher proof they don't have that rough around the edges kick your tongue's ass profile that the standard 100 proof version has.  I always suspected that the selectors want a smooth high proof rye.  Me, I want a rough bronco ride of a whiskey that makes me feel like I achieved something just drinking it.

• I like it 3

A new neighbor had a MNF party last night.  This was to settle a friendly wager on the outcome.

I drank a few last night. It is a small distillery in Nashville IN.  I look forward to future offerings as this was very a very nice young rye.

https://hardtruthdistilling.com/

1F0FA6CE-B1F1-432A-A06F-21B5C7D7B467.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Added link
  • I like it 6

On 11/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, markandrex said:

A new neighbor had a MNF party last night.  This was to settle a friendly wager on the outcome.

I drank a few last night. It is a small distillery in Nashville IN.  I look forward to future offerings as this was very a very nice young rye.

https://hardtruthdistilling.com/

1F0FA6CE-B1F1-432A-A06F-21B5C7D7B467.jpeg

Wait, you are already fleecing your new neighbor!  Well, done!  😀  I assume you picked the underdog to win?

Batch #1 came out last year and I really wanted to get a bottle but passed because the initial release price was $79.99.  I have recently seen bottles in the upper $60s.  In addition, some Indiana retailers run 20% off for spirits distilled in Indiana.  I am getting closer to picking up a bottle.  What would you compare it to?

Hard Truth Distilling is part of a restaurant/brewery/distilling group headquartered in Nashville, IN.  The restaurants are called Big Woods and the food and pizzas are great.  The beer is Quaff On!  Hard Truth is the spirits distiller.  Quality all around.  They make a less expensive rye and a really high end 14 year old bourbon called Schoonover.  It is pretty pricey.  It is sourced from a TN distillery.  Everything else they distill.  

Enjoy!

https://hardtruthdistilling.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/RP_9527-1520x1520-1-760x760.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Mattk said:

20221115_194701.jpg

Not exactly certain what I am looking at.  Crack pipe?  Broken whiskey bottle?  😜

I am into a new bottle of Old Forester rye.   A couple consumed before it.  I have kept trying it because it’s cheap, and I keep searching for the positive attributes that are claimed about it.  I’ve had moments that I like it, but I’m done with it.  For less or a few dollars more, there are much better ryes available for my tastes.  IMO, this is a whiskey that nowhere equals the artificially created hype.

• I like it 2

49 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I am into a new bottle of Old Forester rye.   A couple consumed before it.  I have kept trying it because it’s cheap, and I keep searching for the positive attributes that are claimed about it.  I’ve had moments that I like it, but I’m done with it.  For less or a few dollars more, there are much better ryes available for my tastes.  IMO, this is a whiskey that nowhere equals the artificially created hype.

I like it but I can see where it might not be in everyone's wheelhouse.  It is certainly not an in-your-face kick-you-in the ass rye. I am just as happy with WT101 which is less expensive and more readily available. 

3 hours ago, Mattk said:

20221115_194701.jpg

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Not exactly certain what I am looking at.  Crack pipe?  Broken whiskey bottle?  😜

Looks like the unmistakable trail of a freshly cracked Knob Creek bottle

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

To each their own as always.  That's a constant.

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I got one when they first came out. The first 1/2 of the bottle had a weird green bell pepper note. I am not a green bell pepper fan so I was glad when it subsided after the bottle reached 1/2 way. While I enjoyed that last 1/2, I was never compelled to replace it. My recollection is the low price was its primary charm. If we and New Riff in GA that would be my go to. A bit less that twice as much but to my taste it’s a multitude of times better. Rittenhouse is the go to in terms of readily available sanely priced ryes.

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I got one when they first came out. The first 1/2 of the bottle had a weird green bell pepper note. I am not a green bell pepper fan so I was glad when it subsided after the bottle reached 1/2 way. While I enjoyed that last 1/2, I was never compelled to replace it. My recollection is the low price was its primary charm. If we and New Riff in GA that would be my go to. A bit less that twice as much but to my taste it’s a multitude of times better. Rittenhouse is the go to in terms of readily available sanely priced ryes.

I'm in full agreement regarding the Forester. It's unique and has some charm, but for me it has more dill than any MGP product (maybe it's bell pepper I'm picking up?). Need to try New Riff; it's only made it here in the last month or so. Throw WT 101 Rye and KC rye into the sanely-priced and readily-available conversation, too.

• I like it 1

The wife is making pies.  I thought I would start the holiday early with some WT Cornerstone.  Happy Turkey day to all! 🦃

• I like it 6

Opened up a 2020 THH with my oldest son after a low country boil for dinner.  He and his girl friend are in for a final night before driving back to Atlanta.  
A major step of meeting her for Thanksgiving and he is spending Christmas with her family.  This is new territory.  He is happy and for that I am Thankful.  
Cheerrs!

• I like it 5

22 hours ago, markandrex said:

Opened up a 2020 THH with my oldest son after a low country boil for dinner.  He and his girl friend are in for a final night before driving back to Atlanta.  
A major step of meeting her for Thanksgiving and he is spending Christmas with her family.  This is new territory.  He is happy and for that I am Thankful.  
Cheerrs!

Oh, oh...meet the parents!  Wishing them safe travels.  I hope all went well with the meet and greet.  Sounds like a great dinner and great whiskey with your son...great time!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Oh, oh...meet the parents!  Wishing them safe travels.  I hope all went well with the meet and greet.  Sounds like a great dinner and great whiskey with your son...great time!

The wife and I are both enamored with her.  They seem to be a perfect fit for each other.  I told him not to screw this up.  By his response, I’m guessing wedding possible in 2023.

• I like it 1

I've enjoyed the other Starlight whiskeys, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Can't go wrong for $29.99😉

20221129_184303.jpg

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've enjoyed the other Starlight whiskeys, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Can't go wrong for $29.99😉

20221129_184303.jpg

The CS version of this I picked up at the distillery is one of my all time favorites, an absolutely dynamite rye, looking forward to a return visit next year to get more. I find it to be the most RYE rye I have ever had and I mean that in the very best sense. They have a great rep for their finished whiskies and I found one of those I loved also but picked up the rye as a baseline setter. Like judging a pizzeria, they may have great topping but unless they can do a stellar cheese or margarita then they will never be a top tier pizzeria. That CS rye put Starlight in my top tier.

• I like it 2

Interesting shopping experience at the localish TW yesterday, I say localish as its clear on the other side of the city so I get over there maybe once a year. This was a unique experience in that I mostly find stores to be either overpriced or moderately/reasonably priced. This TW was all over the map and with no apparent rhyme or reason to the pricing structure, some items were very reasonable and others were WTF?? you gotta be kidding. The other aspect I haven't experienced to the degree seen here was the sheer number of customers in the bourbon aisle that had no clue and were eagerly polling the many TW associates about what to buy. Knowing the sea of house brand TW labels they stock and the less than stellar reputation of those "brands", it was disheartening to see. 

I was way outnumbered or I might have made an attempt to assist some of them.

On the reasonable side of the scale was a WT 101 rye which on my side of town is never seen and the lone sighting I did find had it priced over 40 bucks. I have read many of you find it in the mid 20s and this was right in that range so while I certainly don't need any....another one joins the bunker!! I am pretty sure I'll be more satisfied with my purchase than some of my fellow customers.

Slainte!!

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

The CS version of this I picked up at the distillery is one of my all time favorites, an absolutely dynamite rye, looking forward to a return visit next year to get more. I find it to be the most RYE rye I have ever had and I mean that in the very best sense. They have a great rep for their finished whiskies and I found one of those I loved also but picked up the rye as a baseline setter. Like judging a pizzeria, they may have great topping but unless they can do a stellar cheese or margarita then they will never be a top tier pizzeria. That CS rye put Starlight in my top tier.

I have a few rye picks from Starlight that are incredibly good, so I didn't think I was taking much of a chance at $30.0

I snuck a pour last night and it's solid, but I doubt that I'd buy it again.   I'll revisit it later.

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Interesting shopping experience at the localish TW yesterday, I say localish as its clear on the other side of the city so I get over there maybe once a year. This was a unique experience in that I mostly find stores to be either overpriced or moderately/reasonably priced. This TW was all over the map and with no apparent rhyme or reason to the pricing structure, some items were very reasonable and others were WTF?? you gotta be kidding. The other aspect I haven't experienced to the degree seen here was the sheer number of customers in the bourbon aisle that had no clue and were eagerly polling the many TW associates about what to buy. Knowing the sea of house brand TW labels they stock and the less than stellar reputation of those "brands", it was disheartening to see. 

I was way outnumbered or I might have made an attempt to assist some of them.

On the reasonable side of the scale was a WT 101 rye which on my side of town is never seen and the lone sighting I did find had it priced over 40 bucks. I have read many of you find it in the mid 20s and this was right in that range so while I certainly don't need any....another one joins the bunker!! I am pretty sure I'll be more satisfied with my purchase than some of my fellow customers.

Slainte!!

How about the jackasses with their phones.  It's like watching the movie where the stewardess has to land the jumbo jet. 🤣

• I like it 1

Having a pour of an old rendezvous rye back when they did various finishes. This one aged in bourbon barrels for 19mos. Its an excellent variation on the traditional RR though I have stopped buying them since HW got bought out so my only experience is with the legacy Rendezvous.

• I like it 1

Cheers to The Utah Utes!! Pac-12 champs. 

0864E409-231F-4AA0-BB41-189AF5055EF4.jpeg

Edited by Wedelstaedt
  • I like it 4

39 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers to The Utah Utes!! Pac-12 champs. 

0864E409-231F-4AA0-BB41-189AF5055EF4.jpeg

Nice choice!  I see what you did there 😏

Cheers to the Utah Utes! 

20221202_235152.thumb.jpg.c18ce20bccc4142e3f86c93a730c3662.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.