What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

40 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Nice choice!  I see what you did there 😏

Cheers to the Utah Utes! 

20221202_235152.thumb.jpg.c18ce20bccc4142e3f86c93a730c3662.jpg

Looks like a cork rescue job. Well done. 
i sure liked the toughness Utah showed tonight. 

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Looks like a cork rescue job. Well done. 
i sure liked the toughness Utah showed tonight. 

Cheers. 

Yeah that 2nd half defense was impressive.  Looks like USC has some work to do, haha.  But they had a heckuva season anyway.

Definitely USC’s arrow is pointed up. 
I admire the job Whittingham has done @ Utah. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt

Just now, Wedelstaedt said:

Definitely USC’s arrow is pointed up. 
I admire the job Willingham has done @ Utah. 

Cheers

I think we may see a good rivalry with these two teams going forward, at least until USC goes to Big 10 🙄

Saturday work day and family vaccines today. Covid and flu. So im just winding down with a single pour of bulliet 12 year.

Off the wagon for awhile at least.  HENCE!  We celebrated the "end of meds" with a pan-fried Trader Joe's NY strip, sauteed mushrooms, and MANHATTANS on the rocks.  Why is this in the "rye" thread?  Didn't feel like hauling this aching bag of bones downstairs to the bunker to get a rye and opened an Old Overholt 114 proof for use in the Manhattan.  OF COURSE! I had to taste it before use.

NOTES ON OO 114! --

Nose - slight spice but a nice floral, making me wonder if this really was a rye.  No alcohol bloom at all.

Palate - very small neat sip.  Tingling to start, but it didn't feel like a 114 proof alcohol burn (which I'd recognize from multiple years of sipping on OGD 114).  Rather, good spice came to mind like some of the older HH offerings in the EC line - absent the EC wood, of course.  That forward spice was a surprise.  Second sip with some swirling before swallowing brought out some pepper combined with, believe it or not, some more floral hints.  Had to take a second and third sip just to be sure I was not imagining it  NOPE.  Still there.  No mint, BTW.

Finish - medium.  Complexity was above average, and there was no heavy mint presence, not that I mind mint in my rye, just surprised that it was NOT there.

OTHER!!  Is why I posted here.  OO 114 makes a SUPERB Manhattan on the rocks when I use 1.5 OO to 1 Dolins Sweet plus a teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice and some Angostura.  I even chewed on the NY strip fat bits.

EVERYTHING was yummy.

• I like it 6

21 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers to The Utah Utes!! Pac-12 champs. 

0864E409-231F-4AA0-BB41-189AF5055EF4.jpeg

We Buckeye fans thank you very much.

• I like it 2

Decorating the tree with the wife.  Love Actually followed by Die Hard on tv and AE rye in the glass.  It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  🎅🏼 Ho, Ho, Ho!

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Off the wagon for awhile at least.  HENCE!  We celebrated the "end of meds"

Glad to hear it, way to celebrate, and appreciate the review.

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Decorating the tree with the wife.  Love Actually followed by Die Hard on tv and AE rye in the glass.  It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  🎅🏼 Ho, Ho, Ho!

We just got the tree up today. It will be decorated this week. But we are also having a rum cask rye. Its just right for the beginning of the christmas season.

20221204_173014.jpg

• I like it 2

A Repeal Day pour of Redemption 10 year rye.  This bottle did not last long due to some help from the neighbors.  Oh well, 1 down, 2 to go.

577C283B-8B80-4A90-9673-95583262F4BA.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

A Repeal Day pour of Redemption 10 year rye.  This bottle did not last long due to some help from the neighbors.  Oh well, 1 down, 2 to go.

577C283B-8B80-4A90-9673-95583262F4BA.jpeg

This is twice in a row now...

20221205_190435.jpg

• I like it 2

So I'm having a slightly earlier pour then normal today in the hopes @markandrex doesn't basically post the same thing a few hours before I do again. Im generally not a proof and wood guy but this polish rye they released is fantastic.

20221207_152041.jpg

• I like it 4

On 12/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, Mattk said:

Im generally not a proof and wood guy but this polish rye they released is fantastic.

Some of the better rye I've had lately is from Proof and Wood.  I really enjoyed the Roulette and have a Senator on deck.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:24 PM, Mattk said:

A single pour of baby saz tonight after dinner. Its lovely and simple. Just as it always is.

For whatever reason, Baby Saz rarely shows up in Indy. However, this Fall I have happened upon a few shelf tags at a couple of different stores indicating a bottle or two may have made it to the shelf.  One of our local groceries is having a 30% of sale this weekend.  While looking at the whiskey selection, the department manager came from the back of the store and handed another customer a bottle.  I glanced over and saw it was a Baby Saz.  I asked if I could have one too.  I understand not placing it the shelf for a big sale.  I paid $19.58.

It is probably the first bottle I have bought in close to 10 years.  I popped it open and as you say, it is the same lovely and simple rye I remember.  Nice caramel nose with a moderate pop of rye.  A great 90 proofer at a great price.  I wish it was available in my area more often.

I also bought another bottle of "I am going to kick your ass" WTR 101.  Less than $20.  No brainer.  I love rye whiskey.  

• I like it 4

Happy FRyeday to all.  I went to the back of the bunker for this one, literally. 

Cheers

4598D6C4-5117-45C8-8C48-7A6C1FFCA723.jpeg

• I like it 9

17 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Happy FRyeday to all.  I went to the back of the bunker for this one, literally. 

Cheers

That is special!😛. An excellent glass for an excellent rye!  Well done brother!

• I like it 2

The wife has spent the day making Christmas cookies, I’ve opted for a AE rye before dinner.  

• I like it 4

On 12/17/2022 at 12:07 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

Just look at the color of that liquid.  Beautiful.

After not having it for quite some time, I'm into a new bottle of Bulleit Rye.

They should try some brand extensions similar to what they've done with the Bourbon brand - you know, more age and proof.  Other NDPs get mad money for the Indiana Rye 95% recipe with a little more kick to it.

Built up throughout the week with a Whistlepig 10 on Monday, the 12 yesterday and the 15 right now, quite interesting but I am not sure if it lives up to the hype.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.