Buffalo Trace Gift shop info

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Sunday afternoon to you all!  
My wonderful in-laws live in South Carolina, my wife and I in South-Eastern Wisconsin, therefore we frequently make the 2,000 mile round trip trek in my trusty Ford Edge.  Some day soon I wish to make an entire trip of visiting some fun places in the mid-South (Nashville, perhaps Pigeon Forge,  Red River Gorge area, some Kentucky distillery tours, etc).  For now, however, I will have to settle for a quick visit to Buffalo Trace, hopefully early enough in the day to get my hands on a lucky bottle of Blanton's or another of their highly sought after bourbons. 
This brings me to my question: Has anyone had experience recently with this sort of thing, specifically the Buffalo Trace gift shop?  I know they have an availability indicator on their website, and most of their offerings seem to sell out rather quickly, but is there any possibility that, if we arrive just as they open, my wife and I might find a bottle or two available?  Or is there some ridiculous forty car line for the one EH Taylor small batch and three Wellers they put out every 4 hours (just a sarcastic guess)?
Sorry for the long-winded questions.  Thanks for any information!
p.s.  I do realize that in order to get from New Berlin, WI to Bardstown, KY by 10 a.m. eastern, we will have to get started at an uncomfortably early hour in the day.  My better half is willing to humor me this one time.

If you do one of the Buffalo Trace tours and tasting, most or all of which are free, they typically reserve 1 bottle of what ever bourbon they are putting out in the gift shop that day on a table at the back of the tasting room. One per seat in the room. Blantons, ER, Weller something, etc.

• I like it 1

I’ve seen ER or Blanton’s at the gift shop on my past visits to BT. Bad luck or bad timing maybe, but I’ve never seen a Weller there before. It is my understanding that you can now only purchase one of the special bottles every three months at the gift shop. FWIW,  I’m not sure when they put the special bottles out. I was there once for a mid morning tour. We had just finished the tasting after the tour when an employee brought a cart out with ER and started putting it on the shelf. Anyway, good luck if and when you head down to Frankfort. Also, don’t forget the time change. It makes the trip down a bit more of pain. <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Their system now is one "allocated" offering put out per day (WSR, Baby Saz, EHT Small Batch, Blanton's, or ER10). They usually sell out that offering by noon-ish but if you are in line at opening you are pretty much assured of getting that day's release. Very occasionally they will put something else out later the same day but it's hit or miss.  You can only buy one of each of the allocated items once every 3 months.

As noted above, the day's offering is often held for tours but its not guaranteed.  It really seems to be random.  The tour I went on a few months ago did NOT have the daily offering (ER10) in the tasting room after our tour and the gift shop was sold out. I did grab some before the tour started, however. 

They also will have regular BT (1 per day) and Bourbon Cream (1 per day) most days along with Wheatly Vodka, occasionally barreled Manhattan and Old Fashioned and all the Freddie's soft drinks (root beer, ginger ale, ginger beer).

Have fun, take a tour, and walk the grounds around the "garden" area. You will find the people there are all very nice, friendly, and helpful.  It's like the Disneyland of bourbon.

There is also a 3rd party website that shows the statistical probability for the next day's release based on history.

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

Some good information, thanks everyone.  I would be willing to buy anything they have, as I have not had any BT product yet in my bourbinfancy.  Can't seem to find much of the stuff around here.  Even when I could find just regular old Buffalo Trace, the guy wanted $44 for it, so I politely passed. 
I will take the tour some day, just not this trip.  Unfortunately, the dogs are getting up in years and have developed quite an aversion to being placed in a kennel.  So we will be traveling with two 14 year-olds, and I don't think the folks at the distillery will be too keen on canine visitors.  Thus, I plan on showing up early and buying a bottle or two for personal edification, then, sadly, back on the road right away.  Would love to find an available Blanton's, just to scratch that inquisitive itch.  We will see what's available.

If you pass through Indianapolis area, say on your way back, I can direct you to regular BT Bourbon in the low $20s a 750ml.  It's about the only BT product we get here, but I see cases and cases, 1.75L bottles too.  PM me.

• I like it 2

I just did a BT tour last week and everything everyone has posted thus far is spot on. Our tour was at 3 O'Clock. Gift shop was limited to BT, Wheatley Vodka, Bourbon Cream, and White Dog. We did get a bottle of ER at the end of the tour (purchase), and we were told that we would have to wait 90 days, for another ER purchase, even if we did another tour. 

Since, it sounds like you're driving, I might suggest stopping at a Kroger in Indiana on the way down. They generally have BT stacked for a couple dollars less that the gift shop. Sometimes they have ER, Blanton's and Weller too. Ohio is a better lock for Weller through. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PJMac said:

I just did a BT tour last week and everything everyone has posted thus far is spot on. Our tour was at 3 O'Clock. Gift shop was limited to BT, Wheatley Vodka, Bourbon Cream, and White Dog. We did get a bottle of ER at the end of the tour (purchase), and we were told that we would have to wait 90 days, for another ER purchase, even if we did another tour. 

Since, it sounds like you're driving, I might suggest stopping at a Kroger in Indiana on the way down. They generally have BT stacked for a couple dollars less that the gift shop. Sometimes they have ER, Blanton's and Weller too. Ohio is a better lock for Weller through. 

A couple of questions @PJMac. Who was your tour guide at BT? Also, what area of NE Indiana do you call home? I have relatives there. 

Biba! Joe

58 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A couple of questions @PJMac. Who was your tour guide at BT? Also, what area of NE Indiana do you call home? I have relatives there. 

Biba! Joe

It was David. He stated he used to work in Aerospace at Boeing. He actually used to be my neighbor (relatively speaking) in the Seattle burbs. I live in the Fort Wayne (Huntertown) area. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, PJMac said:

It was David. He stated he used to work in Aerospace at Boeing. He actually used to be my neighbor (relatively speaking) in the Seattle burbs. I live in the Fort Wayne (Huntertown) area. Cheers!

Where in Seattle did you live?

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Where in Seattle did you live?

Newcastle, On the south side of Cougar Mtn (May Valley Rd side). Just noticed you are in Seattle! Whereabouts?

Edited by PJMac

Just now, PJMac said:

Newcastle, On the south side of Cougar Mtn (May Valley Rd side)

Nice neighborhood. We looked at houses there back in 2008. I've also been on many a bike ride on May Valley Rd.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, Thomm said:

Some good information, thanks everyone.  I would be willing to buy anything they have, as I have not had any BT product yet in my bourbinfancy.  Can't seem to find much of the stuff around here.  Even when I could find just regular old Buffalo Trace, the guy wanted $44 for it, so I politely passed. 

I understand your frustration, retail bourbon is a real mess right now.

You didn't ask me but if I were you, next time I would just pay the $44 and be on my merry way.   Get it out of your system, so to speak. If you think about it the $22 upcharge is saving you a ton of gasoline and time chasing around for it.

56 minutes ago, PJMac said:

I have family near Wabash. Every once in a while I make it up that way. Haven’t been around the Fort Wayne area in quite a while though.

Thanks everyone, just read the updates to this topic.
PJ Mac, thanks for the Kroger tip.  I will make sure to try more than one.  Probably a better idea than hitting the road at 1:30 am just to stop at a place I would love to tour and have to turn around and leave right away.
PaulO, I will pm you.  Will be pleased on this trip just to get some Buffalo Trace, even if that's it.  

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I have family near Wabash. Every once in a while I make it up that way. Haven’t been around the Fort Wayne area in quite a while though.

Ft Wayne is growing pretty quickly. We’ve got some decent bottle shops and distilleries popping up. Hit me up if you’re ever up this way!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.