Cocktail Hour—2022

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, ratcheer said:

I made my first Vieux Carré cocktail today, nor had I ever had one before. I used the standard recipe of 3/4 oz rye, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth, 3/4 oz Benedictine, 2 dashes Angostura, and 2 dashes Peychaud's. It tasted very good, but man, it was way too sweet.

What proportions do y'all like?

You are missing the cognac. That will make it less sweet.

• I like it 1

Thanks, Steve. I looked back at the recipe I had written down, and it did also include 3/4 oz cognac. I simply missed it.

🤦‍♂️

Felt like making an old fashioned today, and this MGP 95/5 6yr CS rye store pick does the job quite well.

😁

D5A85286-2E94-4EEB-B66C-AD83D2EE9C4F.jpeg

• I like it 1

Back to the martinis last night and we returned to the Death & Co. book for a different recipe.

This is Jon's Martini:

-2oz Navy Strength Gin. (recipe called for Leopold's which we don't have so we used Vigilant from Magnus)

-1oz Dolin blanc vermouth

-1/2 dash absinthe (after some internet research we concluded that half a dash = 4-6 drops)

Garnish: 1 olive and a grapefruit twist. (We didn't have grapefruit so we used lemon. The lemon worked fine but I can see how the grapefruit would really shine here)

The result is fantastic! We made one with 4 drops of absinthe and the other with 6 and decided that 6 was better but probably close to the limit of how much absinthe you want in this drink.

Overall I'm really liking these gin based martinis.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Back to the martinis last night and we returned to the Death & Co. book for a different recipe.

This is Jon's Martini:

-2oz Navy Strength Gin. (recipe called for Leopold's which we don't have so we used Vigilant from Magnus)

-1oz Dolin blanc vermouth

-1/2 dash absinthe (after some internet research we concluded that half a dash = 4-6 drops)

Garnish: 1 olive and a grapefruit twist. (We didn't have grapefruit so we used lemon. The lemon worked fine but I can see how the grapefruit would really shine here)

The result is fantastic! We made one with 4 drops of absinthe and the other with 6 and decided that 6 was better but probably close to the limit of how much absinthe you want in this drink.

Are you shaking or stirring. 🍸

16 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Are you shaking or stirring. 🍸

Stirring! 

You stir when all alcohol ingredients are involved. You shake when there are fruit juices, etc. 

Maybe I watched too many James Bond movies growing up.  I'm a big fan of fill a cocktail shaker near full with ice, then gently shake Martini.

We can agree to disagree.

If you want fresh tasting Martinis, 375ml bottles of Vermouth, and keep opened ones in the refrigerator.

Higher proof gin helps too.  As with Bourbon, pass on most of the 80 proof stuff.

Finally!  Some warmer weather this Sunday, after a string of dreary and cold days.  Same set up outside as last night, but instead of a fire, it’s a glorious and warm Sun keeping me comfortable.  Master on TV, Braves on the radio, and a highball of Ginger Ale and Dickel Rye.  Threw in some Peach Bitters, since all eyes in the sports world are on the Peach State, and the Masters.  Dickel is my favorite MGP rye.  Interesting to sip, and while meh in other cocktails, it positively sings in this Highball.  

• I like it 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, flahute said:

I don't think I've ever had a martini that wasn't gin-based.

• I like it 1

I had this basket put together by an excellent shop here in the greater LA area. It’s a donation for a silent auction to benefit my daughters Kindergarten class. Negroni, mezcal Negroni, white Negroni, Old Fashioneds, Boulevardier, Left Hand,  Sbagliato, and Americano cocktails. 

2F1BEFA8-A955-4C32-9E13-13BCF3869FA3.jpeg

• I like it 4

Not sure what to call this 50/50 cocktail (@ 47.7% ABV)-- other than darn tasty…

IMG_7900.thumb.jpg.9835625472a3a8bb4f3467c056b4389d.jpg

• I like it 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, ratcheer said:

I don't think I've ever had a martini that wasn't gin-based.

No one has! A “vodka martini” is called a Kangaroo cocktail. To use anything but gin in a martini is blasphemy and a clear sign of a poor social upbringing… 😡

• I like it 4

Happy Easter to all.  Bloody Mary made with OF 100 although my favorite for this is WT101.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Not sure what to call this 50/50 cocktail (@ 47.7% ABV)-- other than darn tasty…

That sounds tasty for sure. Going to have to be on the lookout for banana cream liqueur 

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I recently came across some recipes for a banana boulevardier so I guess it's time to go buy some of this.

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

No one has! A “vodka martini” is called a Kangaroo cocktail. To use anything but gin in a martini is blasphemy and a clear sign of a poor social upbringing… 😡

Don’t worry Steve.  I let it be known at a GBS event at Bruce’s that I had a Margarita mix that I found at Target that I liked.  He threw me out of the house and hasn’t invited me back!  Mumbled something about me being an f’in’ heathenous hilljack…🤣

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Don’t worry Steve.  I let it be known at a GBS event at Bruce’s that I had a Margarita mix that I found at Target that I liked.  He threw me out of the house and hasn’t invited me back!  Mumbled something about me being an f’in’ heathenous hilljack…🤣

Ha! In my defense, I never paid any attention to martinis until a few years ago when I went on a low carb diet which severely limited me so I did an internet search for a martini recipe and the first one I came across called for vodka. I didn't care for it much and moved on without knowing that gin was actually the preferred option. Only discovered that recently when my wife expressed an interest in them again and I happened to have this new book in which most of the martini recipes call for gin. So, new to me but obviously old hat for the cocktail wonks on this page. Doesn't matter how much you know there is always more to learn!

• I like it 1

After the Easter meal, it’s some front patio sittin’ with a Negroni.  

6C966860-304D-4D2F-A909-649C4BDF20A6.jpeg

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Ha! In my defense, I never paid any attention to martinis until a few years ago when I went on a low carb diet which severely limited me so I did an internet search for a martini recipe and the first one I came across called for vodka. I didn't care for it much and moved on without knowing that gin was actually the preferred option. Only discovered that recently when my wife expressed an interest in them again and I happened to have this new book in which most of the martini recipes call for gin. So, new to me but obviously old hat for the cocktail wonks on this page. Doesn't matter how much you know there is always more to learn!

That is the craziest story I've ever heard.

For those of you who enjoy mezcal cocktails, what is your preferred mezcal to use?

4 hours ago, flahute said:

preferred mezcal

I use Del Maguey Vida. It’s inexpensive and all I’m really after is the smoke. 

I’m sure there are other more informed opinions. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying a little Sunday afternoon manhattan,

in my pajamas,

with my buddy.

Made with WR 101 rye, antica vermouth, angostura, and 2 cherries. 🥃

16343047-5861-4508-B287-5014E652D771.jpeg

1498B372-B306-4390-A56E-E0203E4471B4.jpeg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.