For those of you with a decent amount of bottles..How do you?

PJMac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

I tried the app - did not see whiskey on there?

Everything in the app is just called Wine by default when using the search. Screenshot of what pops up if search for Weller (and then weller 107 specifcally as an example).  The app was originally for wine I believe, but as more and more users began to use it, whiskies, rums, tequilas, etc. have been added to the database. FYI - my screenshots are from the desktop version but the app version would yield similar results.  I found the desktop version easier to use when doing mass additions/refresh of inventory and such.

image.thumb.png.b0a72cea600b72b00281e2902baa4139.png

image.png.b0ad0a5b9de6a3d693fa08fd355aea01.png

9 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I really like the menu concept!   Now if there was a way to take the spreadsheet and populate the menu......

I wish I was good at what us old people call  "computer work".

You can probably do that.  I'll get with my son who is much better at Excel than I am and see if he can work something up.  If so I'll try to list the steps to create it.

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

THAT could apply to a whole lot of things of ours, eh???   🥵

Indeed.  The smarter and prettier half is very understanding and enjoys the other things as much as I do but has no idea how many there are.   

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, GaryT said:

I put the price (knowing the risk if the wifey stumbles across it) mainly because if I didn't get to a bottle for a few years, I wanted to recall about what I paid for it.  I also periodically save a dated/copy of the spreadsheet as an archive.  My first archive was Jan 2015, and sometimes it's fun to look at what I had at the time, and what I had paid for them (like a bunch of Weller 12 at $23 per, or Macallan Cask Strength for $65, or OF Birthday for $35).  

Another option is to add a column for "Status" - empty, inventory, open, etc.  Then you could filter by that column or create a pivot table (and thus have the entire history in one file with no need to save separate versions)...

Weller 12 really used to grow on trees here (the one price outlier was a 1.75L, just hid a bunch of columns to save space here...)

Capture.PNG

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You can probably do that.  I'll get with my son who is much better at Excel than I am and see if he can work something up.  If so I'll try to list the steps to create it.

That would be amazing!

I kept records that were way beyond obsessive and anal for the first ten years of this hobby.  The next five or so saw my record keeping wane considerably. And  for the last seven years I’ve just let it roll.  I enjoy the surprise of rediscovering something that I bought years ago. For me, life is too short to spend time on recording keeping for my bunker.  When people come over and want some whiskey then I’ll usually throw out a “and you if you don’t see anything interesting then let me know what you are looking for and I’ll see what else I’ve got.”  I almost never have to dive into the bunker. 

• I like it 4

15 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I kept records that were way beyond obsessive and anal for the first ten years of this hobby.  The next five or so saw my record keeping wane considerably. And  for the last seven years I’ve just let it roll.  I enjoy the surprise of rediscovering something that I bought years ago. For me, life is too short to spend time on recording keeping for my bunker.  When people come over and want some whiskey then I’ll usually throw out a “and you if you don’t see anything interesting then let me know what you are looking for and I’ll see what else I’ve got.”  I almost never have to dive into the bunker. 

This is my approach too.   Keeping records would turn my hobby into something else.   I think I have about 100 bottles or so and have really consciously stopped looking on a regular basis.  Might run across the border to Ohio next time we are up our cabin and grab a few items not sold in PA.    But apart from that,  I think I will be sharing and  enjoying whats here (in moderation)

There’s only one drawback to not keeping and updating records. It’s called CRS disease. And it gets worse the older you get. :unsure:

I know it might be fun finding something in your cabinet that you forgot about, but there’s a flip side to that coin. A while back I was taking to @Galvin0791. The subject of the HH grenades came up. We’d each purchased one the last time we went to KY. Mike had finished his, and since he liked his so much, I told him he could have mine. FWIW, he’d been very gracious with samples and retirement gifts. Anyway, my spreadsheet said I had one, but my cabinet said I didn’t. 😖 I apologized and told him that I must have finished the bottle but had forgotten to check it off my spreadsheet. His response.“That’s okay Ken.” 🤣

Biba! Uncle Ken

• I like it 3

I don’t use any type of actual tracking system. But I do make sure to keep track of when I purchased and when I opened each bottle. 

I’ll slap one of these little round stickers on the bottom of all my bottles, and mark them P and O. P for the day I purchased the bottle - and when I open it, I’ll jot it down by the O.

Works like a charm. 

87958F0D-D237-4B2F-936B-F2A5507CAE03.jpeg

Edited by Rhettro
  • I like it 2

I probably don't have as large a collection as some people.  I keep everything (besides open bottles in the cabinet) stored in case boxes in the bunker.  The boxes have bottles categorized together by differing criteria.  An inspector light (small flashlight) helps when I'm looking.  I just glance in, don't have to move or unpack unnecessarily.    

• I like it 1

I keep 12 open bottles in the kitchen and another dozen or so up in the upstairs bedroom I've converted to a music room.   I do not want to have to climb stairs to enjoy a pour.   The bunker is in a couple of cabinets down in the basement.   There's maybe 50- 75 or so bottles down there, so we're not talking about anything I need to catalogue on a computer.    I remember what's down there, just as I know what sides Bird recorded for Verve.   

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Quiganomics said:

I'm lazy and just take pictures every week. Not the best system but it works....kinda. 😐

That is a system worthy of emulation.   

I have a basic spreadsheet that I recently completed and will attempt to update every three months or so.  We'll see how that goes.  With a plan to reduce consumption in 2022 keeping it up to date will hopefully be manageable.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.