Craziest place you've found allocated, heck any bourbon?

PJMac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Over the holidays, my wife and I spent a day trekking around our area with no real agenda. Stopped in at a jewelry store for her to look at some things, and what was in the cases with the jewelry? I laughed when I asked how much jewelry I would have to buy to grab a bottle; probably have cork rot anyways...who knows how long they've been on their sides. 

crazy-1.jpg

crazy-2.jpg

I am still trying to sort out the part about trekking around with no real agenda and ending up in a jewelry store.  😜

• I like it 6

Saw a Lot B in a jewelry store case the other day too. Must be suggested marketing in the industry.

Found both a Lot B and Van Winkle Rye at a corner gas station in Bozeman, MT that also has a small liquor section. They were priced at secondary from the earliest days of secondary which is why they were still there. I had the foresight to see how crazy secondary was going to get so I bought them since I knew I'd never see the rye again.

• I like it 5

28 minutes ago, flahute said:

Found both a Lot B and Van Winkle Rye at a corner gas station in Bozeman, MT that also has a small liquor section. They were priced at secondary from the earliest days of secondary which is why they were still there. I had the foresight to see how crazy secondary was going to get so I bought them since I knew I'd never see the rye again.

I am actually laughing. Not at your post. Well, heck, yes, I am laughing at your post. 

Never happened with bourbon.  BUT!  Did happen with cigars once in Brookfield, Illinois, circa 2004.  Stopped at a gas station and wandered inside for a soda.  Had a large humidor complete with electric humidifier.  Prices were a good bit cheaper than in Wash DC so I was skeptical.  Bought a basic Partagas with a DR band and a Cohiba with a "funny" band.  Sweet Charlotte they were as creamy as the Cuban Davidoffs I smoked in London.  I went back and bought a box each of an AVO (don't remember the size), El Rey del Mundo, more Cohibas, and of course the Partagas.  Next time I was in Brookfield, the ownership had changed, and "nobody" knew what I was talking about.

55 minutes ago, flahute said:

Isn't it crazy how cheap those high prices from back then seem now?

• I like it 3

The bottles laying on their sides 😬 not good.  I wouldn't pay a dime unless I could sample it first, to determine it hadn't gone bad.  That's not likely to happen, so I'll just say - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Also add, I've never seen a jewelry store with a liquor license before.

Craziest place I've found good Bourbon (dusties) - in the ghetto. :ph34r:

By now, even those places are probably all picked over.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Never happened with bourbon.  BUT!  Did happen with cigars once in Brookfield, Illinois, circa 2004.  Stopped at a gas station and wandered inside for a soda.  Had a large humidor complete with electric humidifier.  Prices were a good bit cheaper than in Wash DC so I was skeptical.  Bought a basic Partagas with a DR band and a Cohiba with a "funny" band.  Sweet Charlotte they were as creamy as the Cuban Davidoffs I smoked in London.  I went back and bought a box each of an AVO (don't remember the size), El Rey del Mundo, more Cohibas, and of course the Partagas.  Next time I was in Brookfield, the ownership had changed, and "nobody" knew what I was talking about.

What happens in Brookfield stay in Brookfield.

42 minutes ago, PaulO said:

The bottles laying on their sides 😬 not good.  I wouldn't pay a dime unless I could sample it first, to determine it hadn't gone bad.  That's not likely to happen, so I'll just say - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Also add, I've never seen a jewelry store with a liquor license before.

Craziest place I've found good Bourbon (dusties) - in the ghetto. :ph34r:

By now, even those places are probably all picked over.

There used to be few places in Indy that I wouldn't go.  Now there are few places I will.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

There used to be few places in Indy that I wouldn't go.  Now there are few places I will.

I used to visit a couple stores in NE Wash DC that I passed on the way to the dentist in Maryland about every six months.  Used to stop just to check, and one out of five or so stops at least turned up ample MSRP mid and upper shelfers if not LEs every time.  One of the stores closed last year, and the other couple stopped carrying LEs a few years back.  Owners/managers told me that they don't get offered the LEs anymore and that I was one of the few people who even considered buying them -- price resistance.

• I like it 2

A few years ago I went to a corner store when staying at a nearby hotel looking for a six pack of beer to enjoy the evening.  I walked out with a sixer and a PVW 15 that was $45. 

• I like it 9

On 1/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, 0895 said:

Isn't it crazy how cheap those high prices from back then seem now?

Oh yeah! Secondary back then is what some NDPs sell for retail these days.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.