Is OGD 114 MIA near you?

lemonman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't drink OGD regularly, but when the mood hits,  it hits the spot. I haven't seen any 114 in my area (NE IL) in 6 months or more. A quick search revealed someone on reddit reporting Beam redirecting this to more, err, profitable lines; who knows how accurate this is.. Anyone with inside sources have any input on this?

I have the BiB as well, but to me, it's not an acceptable substitute; sorry to those who dig the BiB.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I don't drink OGD regularly, but when the mood hits,  it hits the spot. I haven't seen any 114 in my area (NE IL) in 6 months or more. A quick search revealed someone on reddit reporting Beam redirecting this to more, err, profitable lines; who knows how accurate this is.. Anyone with inside sources have any input on this?

OGD 114 is still available here for $24.99 OTD.  Suck on that Bills fans (I'm getting cranky in my old age).  🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

Haven't looked in the last couple of weeks but the last time I was in a store they had it.  I'm a fan of both the OGD BIB and the OGD 114.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, lemonman said:

I have the BiB as well, but to me, it's not an acceptable substitute; sorry to those who dig the BiB.

Uh, a quick search of the SB threads will turn up discussions of the periodic shortage of OGD 114 and whether it is related to a possible discontinuance of the line.  When I panicked back in 2014, I bought EVERY 114 I could find.  Average price was around $19.50.  In spite of binging on it now and then, I still have more than seven, less than twelve 750mls left from that panic.  I have supplemented it now and then - haven't looked lately.  I guess it is time to panic buy again.

THANKS for the head's up.  I need some anxiety to get my blood moving again. hahahahaha

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, lemonman said:

A quick search revealed 

...Binny's Highland Park shows it as in stock.  Might want to give them a ring or stop by.  Could just be an error though, as every other location is sold out.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, 0895 said:

...Binny's Highland Park shows it as in stock.  Might want to give them a ring or stop by.  Could just be an error though, as every other location is sold out.

My Binny’s is sold out too. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen it anywhere around here in awhile. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

NE Indiana here, I’ve seen both the 114 and BiB at two different locations in as many days as of tonight. 

• I like it 1

I tend to big shops every few-several months due to fact i live in the middle of nowhere. Of the 7 stops I made today, I would expect to see the 114 in half the stores. I saw it nowhere. fwiw.

• I like it 1

I ordered a couple of bottles from K&L yesterday for $29.99 each plus tax.  My wife has decided she really loves it so I figured a couple of backups would be a good idea. 

• I like it 2

I haven't seen it around much lately but also haven't been looking for it so this thread prompted me to look and my local had one last night and a check of the Total Wine website shows it in stock.

I occasionally see it in the Indy area but the price is usually around $30.  I believe I paid $20 for the last bottle I purchased about 5 years ago.  I prefer OGDBIB anyway and can easily find a bottle for $20.  Although, I will say that a 50/50 blend of OGD114/RittBIB is one of my favorite straight whiskey home blends.

It seems like any bottle of bourbon with an old guy's image on it carries a higher price tag than it should.  I remember seeing bottles with an old guy on it smoking a cigar sitting on the shelf priced at $49.99.  I wondered to myself who would pay that much for a bottle of bourbon.  Those days are gone.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I occasionally see it in the Indy area but the price is usually around $30.  I believe I paid $20 for the last bottle I purchased about 5 years ago.  I prefer OGDBIB anyway and can easily find a bottle for $20.  Although, I will say that a 50/50 blend of OGD114/RittBIB is one of my favorite straight whiskey home blends.

It seems like any bottle of bourbon with an old guy's image on it carries a higher price tag than it should.  I remember seeing bottles with an old guy on it smoking a cigar sitting on the shelf priced at $49.99.  I wondered to myself who would pay that much for a bottle of bourbon.  Those days are gone.

That OGD114/RittBiB blend sounds intriguing.

I wonder how it would be blended with Old Overholt 114 rye?

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That OGD114/RittBiB blend sounds intriguing.

I wonder how it would be blended with Old Overholt 114 rye?

Only one way to find out!  😉

• I like it 2

On 1/17/2022 at 10:03 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

When I panicked back in 2014, I bought EVERY 114 I could find.  Average price was around $19.50.  In spite of binging on it now and then, I still have more than seven, less than twelve 750mls left from that panic.

Haha me too!  Not every bottle but about a dozen I guess. Although for me it was 2016.  It seems every couple of years someone floats the false rumor that it will be discontinued.  Maybe to move product? ... I would like to hope not.

Anyways I have plenty of backstock so I haven't even noticed whether it is on store shelves or not.  One thing is for sure, when one's palate is in the mood for OGD114 nothing else is the same.  Although I prefer the bonded version more often.

• I like it 2

OGD BIB is my (almost) nightly and has been for years.  WT 101 KSBW has crept in lately as it is easier to find.  Chuck Cowdery did a blog post circa 2017-2018 after he’d spoken to somebody at Beam - the apparent absence has more to do with production runs earmarked for 114 vs. other brands and expressions than with marketing and the advertising pros.

Uh, I sure hope that’s still true.🤓

OGD BIB while I watched Rams v. Bucs. Great game since I didn’t care who won.

• I like it 5

On 1/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, FasterHorses said:

I think I read where Fred recently said it was the best value in bourbon🤨

Ugh 

• I like it 1

Went to my OGD BIB purveyor which also carries 114 usually.  The OGD BIB was sold out, but they had several (6 bottle) cases of 114.  When I asked about the bonded, I was told that the owners had started shifting inventory to the "premium" brands because sales of the bottom shelfers had slowed down over the last few months.  LOTS of repackaged MGP and quite a few micros on the shelves, about half of which even I did not recognize by name and only four or five of which I have tasted AND would buy again.

I guess the boom really hasn't peaked.:(  Oh, and the OGD is delivered periodically, not regularly, so the bonded's absence  is temporary.

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:28 PM, Kepler said:

Haha me too!  Not every bottle but about a dozen I guess. Although for me it was 2016.  It seems every couple of years someone floats the false rumor that it will be discontinued.  Maybe to move product? ... I would like to hope not.

Anyways I have plenty of backstock so I haven't even noticed whether it is on store shelves or not.  One thing is for sure, when one's palate is in the mood for OGD114 nothing else is the same.  Although I prefer the bonded version more often.

I bought 2 cases when the rumor hit. luckily on sale for $18. Eventually this will happen. Underpriced.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.