Any ever seen this one?

TK17
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No, never saw one of those before.

Address on the bottle is in MD.  A quick Google search yields a Plum Creek Market, in business since 1950.  They sell groceries, wine, beer, liquor.

My guess is during the whiskey glut, they contracted to have a private label bottled for them.

Who actually distilled it - maybe anybody in KY at that time, or barrels from different sources dumped together.

The good news - fill level looks good, and not cloudy.  So probably good to drink.  Also, given 1979 date, it may contain whiskey aged in barrel considerably longer than the standard minimum four years.

The bad news - the bottles that enthusiasts pursue is a short list, and this isn't one of them. 

It's an interesting novelty.  Is there a story behind finding it. 

Thanks Paul, looking forward to opening it up this weekend with my some buddies on our hunting trip.

Found the bottle while digging through my late father-in-law’s liquor cabinet.  He wasn’t much of a drinker, so I didn’t expect any value, just curious as I haven’t been able to find anything about it. 

I’ll let you guys know how it tastes

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, TK17 said:

Thanks Paul, looking forward to opening it up this weekend with my some buddies on our hunting trip.

Found the bottle while digging through my late father-in-law’s liquor cabinet.  He wasn’t much of a drinker, so I didn’t expect any value, just curious as I haven’t been able to find anything about it. 

I’ll let you guys know how it tastes

Thanks.  Cool bottle.  Can you share a picture of the back label?

Recently in a discussion of another old cat and dog label, someone posted that Nelson County Distilling Co. was a registered company in Bardstown, owned by the owners of Heaven Hill, but not the Heaven Hill company itself. Not exactly sure why they would need such an entity, but if so, pretty certain it would be Heaven Hill whiskey. Also, the "Mild and Mellow" portion of that sticker looks similar to stickers used on bottlings of Heaven Hill from the past. So I'd guess you have some pre-fire Heaven Hill bourbon. As Paul noted, the bourbon itself may be a bit older than you would otherwise think and should be at good if the bottle held up well to its storage. Maybe compare it to modern Evan Williams Black for some extra fun.

• I like it 3

In his post above,  @Jazz June  surmised it was made at Heaven Hill. He is correct. At least that is the distillery pictured on the back label of your bottle. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Let me clarify pre fire.

In 1996 there was a huge fire at Heaven Hill in Bardstown, KY.  The distillery that made above bottle, DSP 31 burned down.  So you have a bottle from distillery that is no longer in operation.

After the fire, Heaven Hill bought DSP 1 in Louisville.  They do continue to age and bottle at DSP 31 Bardstown,  but nowadays the whiskey is made at DSP 1 Louisville.

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Let me clarify pre fire.

In 1996 there was a huge fire at Heaven Hill in Bardstown, KY.  The distillery that made above bottle, DSP 31 burned down.  So you have a bottle from distillery that is no longer in operation.

After the fire, Heaven Hill bought DSP 1 in Louisville.  They do continue to age and bottle at DSP 31 Bardstown,  but nowadays the whiskey is made at DSP 1 Louisville.

This is why I LOVE SB.com. The greatest bourbon information site on the planet... I'm a nerd for this kind of info....

• I like it 1

There is one drawback to this discovery.  Once you have tasted this mild and mellow concoction, and found that no better bourbon has been made, where do you go next?  You've had the best.  Everything from here on out is nothing but disappointment by comparison.
Seriously, though, I think that's a pretty cool find.  It doesn't even matter if it's good.  In fact, you could probably have a little more fun with it if it isn't any good.  I, for one, would love a review.  Let's have your hunting buddies' opinions, too.

• I like it 1

Update: The bourbon was a real treat, with some unique and enjoyable flavor! I appreciate all the information, and was glad to get to share the bottle with good people “…where true sportsman meet”

Only wish I had more.

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.