BOTM 02/22 Four Roses Small Batch Select

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you've been paying attention since I took over BOTM you may have noticed that I tie the month of the year to the bottle when possible. And so with that in mind the month with Valentine's day in it calls for a product with name Roses in it. We've also been talking about it a bit recently on the forums which is always a reason to elevate it to BOTM.

Now, I don't currently have an open bottle so I'm going off memory here. When it first came out I remember getting a strange cinnamon note from it. Not the red hot cinnamon of Willet but more like cinnamon stick or the coating on a pop-tart. That's not a bad note by any means but it was a bit too dominant for me and it dampened my enthusiasm for it. Fast forward a couple years later and it's now balanced. It definitely has the Four Roses DNA that you can taste blind but it's a stand alone product that stands apart from the rest of the lineup. I quite like it even though the price to value ratio may be a bit strained compared to their other products.

Four Roses Single Barrel (100 proof) is still the standard bearer for this brand (and an all time favorite for me) but SmB Select is a very welcome addition to the lineup.

• I like it 6

Though I did enjoy my maiden voyage 2 years ago, it wasn't worthy of a re-purchase; especially not at $50+. Time moves on...

My second bottle was gifted to me for Christmas. I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed this one. As you have said, it is nicely balanced and stands apart from the other 4R choices. I concur that it is still a bit high in price and should be in the MM101 price range.

Good Choice!!!

Yet another good Pick for BOTM Steve. 👍

I like FRSmBS well enough. FWIW, I actually like it better than regular FRSmB. The problem I have is the price. I can get FRSB for $38.99 here. The price for the FRSmBS has gone up to $52.99. I gotta pass at that price.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I want to like it. I really do.

There's something about many of the 4R offerings that doesn't agree with my palate.  Over the years, I've tried it, but it just hasn't worked.   I've tried the gift store bottles.     I tried a pour as recently as last week and couldn't get through it.  I ended up using it to make Mrs. Skinsfan an Old-Fashioned.      

I have a couple bottles open, including the FRSmBS.    Some of them have been open for a while so, down the road, I'll revisit them to see if a  little time and air has made a difference.    

Weirdly, I do enjoy the 4RYL, straight out of the freezer on a hot summer day.

• I like it 1

i've had hit and miss bottles of this. will try again at some point i'm sure. My current 4 roses fave is easily the Bulleit blenders select #1 at $45.

I can simply say that I love it!  I could leave it at that, but it is not so black-and-white. 

Like @flahute, I consider the standard 100 proof FRSiB to be the standard bearer in the Four Roses lineup.  I have had the pleasure of enjoying some superb FRSiB PS, including all 10 recipes, and the annual LEs.  But now, the PS bottles and LEs have become difficult to find and the price has increased beyond what is reasonable for me. 

FRSmB Select provides an enjoyable and available option to FRSiB, albeit at a premium.  I wasn’t sure if it was going to be a seasonal offering and since it had been out for a while before I ran across a bottle, I paid $63.99 for my first bottle.  It was enjoyable but I also found it to be unbalanced.  It seemed kind of sweet and light for 104 proof.  Given this aspect and my unfair comparison to the prior PS and LEs, based on price and expectations, I preferred FRSiB. 

However, over time, as the price came down and my interest in giving it another chance increased, I purchased additional bottles.  Of course, it helped that I grabbed several in the low $40 range.  The more I have purchased it, the more I have come to appreciate what it is, and that Four Roses introduced it to their product line.  It fills the role that the FR SiB PS and LEs used too. Sure, I would love to run across the latter, but you can only dance with the girls at the dance (assuming they will dance with you).  The more I dance with this girl, the more I realize she is more enjoyable and complex than I originally thought.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

While I was at the distillery and took a tour they did a lineup of all 4 of their General Releases (Yellow, SmB, SiB, SmBS) and the SmBS did edge out the rest. I think SmBS having a 2 more yeast stands makes it a bit more complex than the SmB which was a very close 2nd to me. It also has a very pretty and delicate fruity finish which to me, makes it feel special. It's a general release that you can break out for something special without breaking the bank. A true compliment to the rest of the line really.

Also, l'm a very big fan of the SiB releases so it is also quite difficult to justify the price hike. Unless, like stated already, for a "special occasion".

No price tag, SmBS would be me go to for FR but I'm not loaded so SiB and SmB it is.

Random thought: I wish I could get a Yellow Label at a higher proof. It has all 10 yeast strands and would love to see what it would look like say at 100 proof. Would break the bank for that bad boy. I mean look at what MM101 is compared to the standard MM.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

Random thought: I wish I could get a Yellow Label at a higher proof. It has all 10 yeast strands and would love to see what it would look like say at 100 proof. Would break the bank for that bad boy. 

Well @LvR Mike, once upon a time I was privileged to be included in a private barrel pick at FR. Back then they rolled out a barrel of each of the ten recipes to choose from. A couple of us saved our leftovers in empty water bottles. 🤔 Yes, barrel proof FRYL is pretty darned good. 😋

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 7

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well @LvR Mike, once upon a time I was privileged to be included in a private barrel pick at FR. Back then they rolled out a barrel of each of the ten recipes to choose from. A couple of us saved our leftovers in empty water bottles. 🤔 Yes, barrel proof FRYL is pretty darned good. 😋

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's amazing.

I so want in on the next trip! Are words being slurred at the end of these private barrel picks?

36 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

That's amazing.

I so want in on the next trip! Are words being slurred at the end of these private barrel picks?

Nose, sip, spit and rinse with water. Have a chip for a palate cleanser if needed. Maybe another sip of water. Repeat. In tastings, you’re supposed to spit and not swallow. 😬 It’s hard to spit a sip out, especially if it’s a good sample. There’s a slight chance I may have swallowed one or two of the samples. Maybe even three or four. 🤥 Anyway, I don’t remember anyone getting too tipsy. What was really cool was that Jim Rutledge had a little spare time, and he took us all out to lunch afterwards. 😎 FWIW, this was back in the spring of 2014.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 5

This whiskey has become my “regular” splurge bourbon.  The price at $55ish is out of my comfort zone.  The first bottle that I had right after it’s initial release was not agreeable to me at all, but I’m glad that I gave it another chance, as the second, third,…have been very good.  Plus, when I feel like going for that splurge, it is easily found in my area.  

We were out shopping last Friday. Of course I stopped at a liquor store on the way home. Not sure exactly when it happened, but the price on FRSmBS went up another $7.00. That’s a $20.00 price increase since it was introduced. I like it, but I’d much rather have the FRSB for $39.99. Crazy.

Biba! Joe 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d1dabf94a443b81a0cda38bbae10c46.jpeg

so far i have 7 of the 10 single barrel barrel proof store pick recipes. Certainly planning on mixing up some aged BP yellow label when I finally find the other 3.

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nose, sip, spit and rinse with water. Have a chip for a palate cleanser if needed. Maybe another sip of water. Repeat. In tastings, you’re supposed to spit and not swallow. 😬 It’s hard to spit a sip out, especially if it’s a good sample. There’s a slight chance I may have swallowed one or two of the samples. Maybe even three or four. 🤥 Anyway, I don’t remember anyone getting too tipsy. What was really cool was that Jim Rutledge had a little spare time, and he took us all out to lunch afterwards. 😎 FWIW, this was back in the spring of 2014.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Only in Kentucky is it normal to have a bunch of bourbon bottles on the table in a pizza parlor.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Only in Kentucky is it normal to have a bunch of bourbon bottles on the table in a pizza parlor.

LOL!  Some of the guys bought bottles at the gift shop. Mr. Rutledge signed them while we were waiting for our pizzas. This reminds me of another story about Four Roses. Sorry, I can’t help it. 😏 I was on another trip to Bardstown with @Vosgar.  On our way to the GN we decided to stop at the gift shop at Cox’s Creek. They had the latest FRLE. Limit one. When we finished looking around, we headed to the checkout and the girl asked Gary if he wanted a bottle of the LE. Of course he said yes. She then asked me if I wanted one too. I politely said no thank you. Gary looked at me and said, “I thought you wanted one?” I gave him a quizzical look and again told the gal no thanks. Gary cleared his throat with a small cough, gave me the wife look, and said in a slightly more stern voice, “Yes you do!” Doh!! I then told the lady yes please. As we headed to the car, Gary looked at me, shook his head and said “Geez Joe.” Then we had a good laugh. Of course I gave him my bottle of the FRLE. Later on in the week Gary paid me back by buying me a bottle or two. We laughed about this for years. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

this thread got me curious, as I have not had a FRSmBS in a bit. Around my region, even a few hrs. away in the "metro" area where I usually get decent prices, it is 69.99. 

FRSmBS is  good pour, but the standard single barrel is still the bottle that I'd purchase.

For my taste, the FRSiB is their best pour with the exception of the LE editions that are no longer seen in the wild.

• I like it 1

Love this Bourbon as well as the FRSiB. Which I prefer kind of varies from bottle to bottle, but love them both. Unfortunately, can only get the FRSB and FRYL regularly where I live ( although I shockingly was able to get a bottle of the LE this year ), but whenever I travel I make sure to resupply on both.

• I like it 1

Huge fan of FR here.  Bought a case of the FR Small Batch Select when the second wave hit CT.  I'm fond of it, and think it fits a niche among its FR sisters and brothers. 

Not cheap, but competitively priced in today's over-drive bourbon boom.  I paid $80 for my last bottle of a SiB pick of OBSV, and gladly.  

As always, for my Lawrenceburg dollar, give me $40 handles of Dr. Gobble 101.   

On 2/20/2022 at 10:23 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

This is unreal. So sweet.

10 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

This is unreal. So sweet.

There are a lot of things about the bourbon related experiences had 8-12 years ago that seem unreal now.  A friend and I went to a 4R tasting at local burger joint (now closed) that was trying to drum up interest and press.  After the tasting and lunch we went over to say hello Jim.  After about three minutes of talking to us he realized we weren't like the other 97% of the bourbon-bro squad that was there.  We spent most of the next half hour just sitting and talking to Jim while he ignored everyone else.  Eventually his corporate Suntory 'handler' came and told him he had to go because they had something else scheduled across town.  

16 years ago on my first bourbon pilgrimage my wife and I went to Four Roses, which at the time was new to me.  After a nice tour and being bowled over by the tasting, we were taking photos of each other  in the barrel swing out in front of the old gift shop.  Then an older gentleman that I didn't know came over and offered to take a photo of us together.  I didn't realize until a few years later that the older gentleman was Jim Rutledge. 

CIMG1983.JPG

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

There are a lot of things about the bourbon related experiences had 8-12 years ago that seem unreal now.  A friend and I went to a 4R tasting at local burger joint (now closed) that was trying to drum up interest and press.  After the tasting and lunch we went over to say hello Jim.  After about three minutes of talking to us he realized we weren't like the other 97% of the bourbon-bro squad that was there.  We spent most of the next half hour just sitting and talking to Jim while he ignored everyone else.  Eventually his corporate Suntory 'handler' came and told him he had to go because they had something else scheduled across town.  

16 years ago on my first bourbon pilgrimage my wife and I went to Four Roses, which at the time was new to me.  After a nice tour and being bowled over by the tasting, we were taking photos of each other  in the barrel swing out in front of the old gift shop.  Then an older gentleman that I didn't know came over and offered to take a photo of us together.  I didn't realize until a few years later that the older gentleman was Jim Rutledge. 

CIMG1983.JPG

We all ooh and ahh over bottle pics, distillery pics, get together pics, bunker pics, etc… But this right here is one great pic Rich. Brought a big smile to my face this morning. 😁 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

CIMG1983.JPG

Jim just texted me asking for the name and address of who is calling him old… 🤪

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Jim just texted me asking for the name and address of who is calling him old… 🤪

I’m no slouch in being able to take of myself but I don’t mess around with Jim. 😉

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.