BOTM 3/22 Evan Williams 1783

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK - I have to admit I have been avoiding this one despite all of the positive chatter about in on these pages the last few months. My own brother, who always has a way of making me instantly decide I need to buy something, also loves it and sings its praises but I still resisted. Why? I've had a bad track record with young Heaven Hill products. Most of their 4yr old BIBs taste like wet cardboard to me. (I know I'm in the minority here). So I assumed that the 1783 would be similar. But? The positive chatter became too much for me to resist so I broke down and purchased one. And boy am I glad I did. Not a hint of wet cardboard. Not a hint of that too young grainy flavor. What you get is a flavorful pour. Is it pretty simple? Yes. The finish is short but the palate is extremely pleasant with a few of the basic classic bourbon flavors present. At 90 proof this is a great daytime sipper while watching a game or that first pour after a hard day at work or a day of yard work when you want a quick reward. And you get all this for $16.

Fantastic. 

• I like it 4

This is a great choice in my opinion.  According to Heaven Hill's website, they put some six and eight year old barrels into this.  90 proof also, for me, puts it in the category of serious Bourbon.  This is my favorite new HH product in a long time.

To be clear, we're talking about the newer 90 proof rebooted version.

If you see the older 86 proof NAS round bottles, those are just fair.  You can leave those.  

• I like it 3

Wonder how it would work in Ron's Four Grain.

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

This is a great choice in my opinion.  According to Heaven Hill's website, they put some six and eight year old barrels into this.  90 proof also, for me, puts it in the category of serious Bourbon.  This is my favorite new HH product in a long time.

Yes this is the new 90 proof version.

And thanks for that intel. Even an old timer like me can still learn things. Had  no idea there were 6 and 8 yr mixed into this. That explains the good flavor.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:47 PM, flahute said:

Most of their 4yr old BIBs taste like wet cardboard to me.

Agreed, I've called it a 'grassy note' in their young BiBs.  But the new 1783 is my daily go to; I keep bottles in two different rooms of the house in fact. 

12 hours ago, CorvallisCracker said:

Wonder how it would work in Ron's Four Grain.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew of that vat.  I actually always have a vat of  Poor Man's Ron's Four Grain (awkward wording!) on my bar that I make with BT, 1783, and MMCS.  Same family as the original (GTS, 1783, and MM), but with actually available products.  It's really great, too, though!  Actually, now that I think about it, I keep bottles of this in two different rooms of the house as well.

Thanks for inspiring my mid-week choice.  After last week's liquor store conversation with a tater who was bragging about his $200 a bottle Blanton's side hustle, I'm adding honesty and virtue to my metaphorical 1783 tasting notes. 

The following graphic content may be disturbing to some viewers. Please rest assured that a refill will be forthcoming. 

IMG_20220309_220741.jpg

• I like it 4

Flathute agree with a lot of what you have to say about HH products.  I find the EC line, particularly the 12 year over oaked.  The HH 6yr BIB bottle I had was way over oaked for my taste.  Now all that being said I’ve really liked the EW profile.  EW Black is great, I got a bottle of the 2017 Parker’s.  This was supposed to based on the 1783 EW profile but brought up a notch.  One of the best bottles I’ve ever had.

1783 was supposed to be Parker Beam's favorite product.  I bought a 1783 EW bottle a few years back before the rebrand and it stunk, real shame what they did.  I preferred the regular black.  Bought the new rebrand as soon as it reached my market.  So much better and possibly the best deal in bourbon. 

• I like it 1

Found the updated rebranded 90-proof EW1783 today, finally.  Been looking out for it and finally found some handles of it today for $32/each.  That kind of value puts it in contention with WT101 for setting the standard in bang for my buck bourbon!  

• I like it 1

I haven't had this one.  It's always seemed redundant to me vs. the Black label at 86 proof.  Maybe now with the new 90 proof version I need to pick this one up and try it!

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Flathute agree with a lot of what you have to say about HH products.  I find the EC line, particularly the 12 year over oaked.  The HH 6yr BIB bottle I had was way over oaked for my taste.  Now all that being said I’ve really liked the EW profile.  EW Black is great, I got a bottle of the 2017 Parker’s.  This was supposed to based on the 1783 EW profile but brought up a notch.  One of the best bottles I’ve ever had.

1783 was supposed to be Parker Beam's favorite product.  I bought a 1783 EW bottle a few years back before the rebrand and it stunk, real shame what they did.  I preferred the regular black.  Bought the new rebrand as soon as it reached my market.  So much better and possibly the best deal in bourbon. 

With HH6BiB are you sure what you are tasting is (over)oak?  You sure it's not barrel char?  Which is different to me.  Over oak means dry tannins, as if you are chewing on wood.  Whereas barrel char, which I taste in high amounts with the HH6 in particular (and also in the Old Ezra 101 proof 7 yr which is no longer made), is a "burnt char" flavor, like charcoal.  Not dry wood.  YMMV...

• I like it 1

The newly formulated and dressed EW 1783 was my 2021 choice for “Bourbon of the Year”, and has become one of my regular daily drinkers.  Heaven Hill’s change to this label has resulted in a well proofed bourbon with enough age to give it depth, and with great balance.  The balance is what resonates most with me with 1783, and what sets it apart from the standard black label, and what had been an inconsistent 1783.  HH is definitely picking good barrels and blending them very well to support this change.  Heaven Hill gives all of this, while keeping it at a very wallet friendly price point.  Very well done whiskey.  

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, Kepler said:

With HH6BiB are you sure what you are tasting is (over)oak?  You sure it's not barrel char?  Which is different to me.  Over oak means dry tannins, as if you are chewing on wood.  Whereas barrel char, which I taste in high amounts with the HH6 in particular (and also in the Old Ezra 101 proof 7 yr which is no longer made), is a "burnt char" flavor, like charcoal.  Not dry wood.  YMMV...

Great explanation.  I agree with your perception on the differences.

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ah suppose it is barrel char, also got it from the Ezra Brooks 7yr and didn’t care for it.  I also don’t get it from older EW branded products.  Not sure why I never made this connection, thanks.

• I like it 1

Really enjoying this new 1783 now that I've had some time with it!! 

What I love about this bourbon is it is a great first pour palate warm up and bellwether.  

If this pour is tasting good, it's going to be a good palate night.  Glad I finally got to try this! 

• I like it 2

Finding myself going back to this one again and again.  

SBS with the WT101 was interesting.  

I've got a feeling this is going to become a new staple in the bunker.  

Off to grab another few handles this week!  

Nice Job, Heaven Hill.  I thought I was out, but you pulled.me.back.in!  

I need to spend more time with my bottle, but my initial impressions were positive.

The new 1783 leans more into the traditional Heaven Hill flavor profile, rather than the standard Evan Williams notes I was expecting. Once I adjusted my expectations a bit, I came to enjoy the pours I’ve had. 

I’m happy with the slight bump in abv, and I can taste the older whiskey that is now being cut into this small batch. Plus the new bottle and label design are certainly a step in the right direction. 

Overall, I’d say this new EW 1783 is a win for both HH and the consumer.

• I like it 3

I'm having a pour right now and have to say it's hitting all the right notes for me.

I agree that 90 proof and older barrels make all the difference here.

• I like it 2

I was disappointed that this was sold out where I first found it a couple weeks ago.  

Agree I can taste the older bourbon (reminds me of the JB Black 8yo), and reminds me of the profile of HH labels like 7yo Virgin Bourbon and Elijah Craig.    

I'm going to put this in the buy handles on sight category, and include this in nearly every bourbon tasting flight. 

In a market awash with overpriced NDP bottles; this 1783 is my new favorite value bourbon.  Now, how's about an 8-year age stated cask-strength 1783?!  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.