What Foreign Whiskey/Whisky Are You Drinking 2022

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just realized as I was getting ready to post that February is almost over and we haven’t started a thread for the new year.  I’m about three in on my bottle of Glendronach 18 tonight and it is hitting the spot.

• I like it 4

On 2/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, BigRich said:

I just realized as I was getting ready to post that February is almost over and we haven’t started a thread for the new year.  I’m about three in on my bottle of Glendronach 18 tonight and it is hitting the spot.

I love the Glendronach line-up! That 18 is delicious. I'm really enjoying the 15 from a "value" perspective.

• I like it 1

My first foray into Compass Box the other day with their Flaming Heart bottle. Had a lot going on in the first couple sips as I felt the peat and sweet clashed a bit much. But after awhile kind of understood how people really liked this bottle and got more and more enjoyment out of it. 

3FDA927C-5813-4ADC-B10D-FD1D7C260C39.jpeg

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, apt43bear said:

My first foray into Compass Box the other day with their Flaming Heart bottle. Had a lot going on in the first couple sips as I felt the peat and sweet clashed a bit much. But after awhile kind of understood how people really liked this bottle and got more and more enjoyment out of it. 

3FDA927C-5813-4ADC-B10D-FD1D7C260C39.jpeg

I don't know if you an inclination toward cigars but that is a great cigar whisky.  Or really just great by itself.  But the cigar helps open up more the layers.  At least for me. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, BigRich said:

I don't know if you an inclination toward cigars but that is a great cigar whisky.  Or really just great by itself.  But the cigar helps open up more the layers.  At least for me. 

Thanks for the advice! I do love a nice cigar paired with whisky.  I'll definitely give this a try in a future drink session.

On 2/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, BigRich said:

... I’m about three in on my bottle of Glendronach 18 tonight and it is hitting the spot.

Glendronach 18 might seem pricey for an 18, but in my view it's bargain.  Very tasty.  Tastes like it should be double its price, but don't tell glendronach markers please.  

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Glendronach 18 might seem pricey for an 18, but in my view it's bargain.  Very tasty.  Tastes like it should be double its price, but don't tell glendronach markers please.  

I agree - it’s one of my favorites.  A couple months ago, my friends and I did a GD drinkthrough and threw in Mac18 just for comparison. Most of it enjoyed the GD 18 more (and GD15 more too).  Hopefully, we don’t see large increases soon!

F99687C1-931C-4BF3-BB00-604221AA0D8E.jpeg

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, apt43bear said:

I agree - it’s one of my favorites.  A couple months ago, my friends and I did a GD drinkthrough and threw in Mac18 just for comparison. Most of it enjoyed the GD 18 more (and GD15 more too).  Hopefully, we don’t see large increases soon!

F99687C1-931C-4BF3-BB00-604221AA0D8E.jpeg

Wow, that’s a lineup that would make BTAC sweat. I’d love to see some of those in cask strength.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Wow, that’s a lineup that would make BTAC sweat. I’d love to see some of those in cask strength.

Cask strength would be great! I do have a pre-order of a Glendronach 12 Cask Strength that is a Harts Brothers bottling.  Really looking forward to that arriving and trying it against the regular 12.

Carved out the annual Shamrock from the Bermuda today, in anticipation of St Paddy’s Day coming up.  After a couple of Guinness to wash out the dust and grass, it’s a Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength while I sit back and critique my work.  

Slainte!

19BABF98-44D9-48C1-92FD-1C8308723A01.jpeg

• I like it 12

I was out for dinner Thursday and got my first glass of Teeling whiskey, it was really lovely, kind of different flavour to any other whiskey I've had. I've no idea which bottle I was served, I know it was a shocking €8.20 for the glass (35.5ml). So I bought myself a little Teeling pack to see if it was any of these. 

IMG_20220308_151514.jpg

• I like it 7

I got to try For Peat's Sake Blended Scotch from Angus Dundee Distillery.  As name suggests a heavily peated blend.  My reaction to first sip - do you want another sip, yes.  It smells like the beginning of a campfire, like when the dry grass and leaves are going up in smoke.  In the middle is a mildly sweet bread flavor.  The finish is earthy, like the air in an old growth forest after rain. 👍 

• I like it 1

At Mrs Skinsfans urging,  (not that she had to twist my arm), I'm breaking my "no alcohol during the week" rule and having a Birthday pour. 

I'm not off of work for another 45 minutes, but I can nose this nectar in the meantime.  C'mon 4:30!!!

20220314_153657.jpg

• I like it 6

Happy Birthday!!  That's a nice b-day pour.  

Cracked open a Longrow Peated this weekend, just because.  Love that Springbank Funk!  

Picked up another few Islay bottles as well.  

Anybody get that Laphroaig 10 gift box with two etched Acopa glasses?  

Hoping the bottle contains above-average Laphroaig 10 Whisky.    

• I like it 1

Happy Birthday!  Nice pour to celebrate, for sure!  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Happy Birthday!!  That's a nice b-day pour.  

Cracked open a Longrow Peated this weekend, just because.  Love that Springbank Funk!  

Picked up another few Islay bottles as well.  

Anybody get that Laphroaig 10 gift box with two etched Acopa glasses?  

Hoping the bottle contains above-average Laphroaig 10 Whisky.    

I'm an Islay whiskey whore.

I like most of 'em.

My desert island scotch, would be Lagavulin 16 year.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Happy Birthday!  Nice pour to celebrate, for sure!  

Thank you very much!

• I like it 2

In addition to the Longrow cork-popped this week, I've also recently opened a Hazelburn 13 Oloroso; which is just as impressive as you might imagine it to be.  

Recently opened a Tomatic 12 for daily sipping, and am on track to finish off the Glenmorangie La Santa while it's still cool enough for sherried scotch.  

Recently decanted the bottom half of my Glendronach 18/24 Allardice into a half-bottle.  The extra dram was a perfect reminder of just how amazing and powerful this whiskey is.  

So glad I bought a few when they were under $150/bottle.  Saw one this weekend at $225!  

And, now that I've got a second Nikka FTB bottle, I've been pouring this one more generously also.  What a nice "Japanese" style whiskey at a fair price.  Good stuff (yes, I changed my mind on this one).  

Prost!  

• I like it 2

I revisited the Tomatin 12 after the bottle sat half full in the back of the cabinet a couple months.  The air time seems to have improved it quite a bit.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.