Lá Fhéile Pádraig (Paddy's Day)

MissMohawk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's a double bank holiday in Ireland with Paddy's day tomorrow and a once off bank holiday on Friday, so the weekend has essentially started. I've opened up my Teeling 5cl triple pack and started with the single malt. It's very fruity. I had ice and a small bit of water, would have been better with just ice as the flavour diluted very quickly. Based on the 5cl I'd definitely get myself a 70cl bottle of the single malt. I've yet to try the single grain and small batch. 

• I like it 8

ive a bottle of Tealing SB that will be getting opened tomorrow.

Happy Paddys Day 

• I like it 4

My son got to wear green instead of uniform to school.  The Mrs. and I are going to school at the of their day to watch the students parade. 🍀

• I like it 3

I placed a bottle of Redbreast 12 on the kitchen counter this morning to remind me to open it when I get home from work.  Yeah, I need reminders, notes, etc. to keep up.  Happy St. Paddy's Day!

• I like it 7

Enjoying a pour of Blue Spot to celebrate St. Paddy's Day!  @MissMohawk, not sure where in Ireland, but one of THE best Irish whiskies I've ever had is one I picked up from the Teeling distillery in Dublin (this was in 2018).  It was a 'fill your own bottle' from a cask they had; if I recall they had a couple you could choose from and I opted for a 9 yr Port matured (not finished - all 9 years in Port cask) cask strength for 100 Euro.  Not Teeling distillate (likely Cooley), but just stunning - wish I had bought several more and shipped them home.  I expect they rotate, but if they're not too far out - I'd highly recommend popping in to see what they have on tap ;) 

• I like it 4

Just about to get into the corned beef, and it’s 2019 Midleton Very Rare in the glass.  
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Y’all!  

• I like it 5

30 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Just about to get into the corned beef, and it’s 2019 Midleton Very Rare in the glass.  
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Y’all!  

DAMN, breaking out the big guns! :D  (talking about the Midleton, not the corned beef . . . unless it was made by @BigRich, then that's another DAAAAAAMN)

• I like it 2

Weller SR for me later. Hey, the label’s green.🍀🥃😁

“Erin Go Bragh!”

Joe

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

DAMN, breaking out the big guns! :D  (talking about the Midleton, not the corned beef . . . unless it was made by @BigRich, then that's another DAAAAAAMN)

The whiskey is good and the corned beef is good!  But, BigRich’s corned beef is on another  level.  

• I like it 1

Teeling SmB, fully aged in bourbon barrels then finished in rum barrels for up to another year.  Also, a small sip of a ltd. ed. 10 yr blend via the Irish Whiskey Society of America.

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

The whiskey is good and the corned beef is good!  But, BigRich’s corned beef is on another  level.  

Sounds like Rich needs to bring some of that corned beef to Bardstown for everyone to taste. 😀

Starting with Jameson 18yr this evening. I’m not a fan of basic Jameson, but I do like their black barrel and upper level stuff. I wish the 18yr was bottled at higher proof, but it’s definitely a light, delicate, easy drinking whisky. 

• I like it 4

Bushmills 10 year old Single Malt to celebrate the day.  This is seriously good stuff.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Sounds like Rich needs to bring some of that corned beef to Bardstown for everyone to taste. 😀

Have corned beef, will travel. 😄

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, squire said:

Bushmills 10 year old Single Malt to celebrate the day.  This is seriously good stuff.

I get an oily mouthfeel with basic Bushmills and have every time I've tried it over the years.  So, I've stayed away from anything Bushmills.  Thanks for posting this.  Bushmills 10 yr.  is now on my list to try SOON.

18 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoying a pour of Blue Spot to celebrate St. Paddy's Day!  @MissMohawk, not sure where in Ireland, but one of THE best Irish whiskies I've ever had is one I picked up from the Teeling distillery in Dublin (this was in 2018).  It was a 'fill your own bottle' from a cask they had; if I recall they had a couple you could choose from and I opted for a 9 yr Port matured (not finished - all 9 years in Port cask) cask strength for 100 Euro.  Not Teeling distillate (likely Cooley), but just stunning - wish I had bought several more and shipped them home.  I expect they rotate, but if they're not too far out - I'd highly recommend popping in to see what they have on tap ;) 

No where in Ireland is ever very far away 😁 I'm putting it on my list of places to visit. I have a sabbatical coming up and I have a feeling it is going to be filled with distillery tours! 

• I like it 3

Had some Method and Madness which comes from Midleton. Reportedly a microdistillery within Midleton (although I wonder if it is more of a microblending project). I got the single pot still aged in Bourbon and Sherry (think Redbreast) and then finished in Chestnut casks. It is interesting although with no age statement that I can find (it tastes a bit young) and a lowish 96 proof at $90 or so it is hard to say if it is a good deal or just another fancy bottle that lets Midleton upsell more whiskey. I was happy to get it during Astors Irish sale. It is now sold out on Astor.

• I like it 3

I delayed the St. Patrick's day celebration until the weekend, Saturday. Started with a pour of Redbreast 12 followed by a pour of Green Spot. Yum. Slainte!

A2FC1661-A7B4-4D6F-AF1D-884946A6C5EC.thumb.jpeg.28ce1daa3fc47ee85b1b4ae9897369d5.jpeg

• I like it 3

Celebrated last night with drinks, shepherds pie, and Irish soda bread.

Pre dinner cocktail was the Irish Old Fashioned I mentioned in the cocktail thread. After dinner a pour of Power's John Lane 12yr followed by Redbreast 12 CS.

• I like it 2

Nice!  Definitely looking forward to trying that Irish Old Fashioned. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, squire said:

As I noted a few days ago, your post encouraged me to watch for this in spite of my prior avoidance of anything Bushmills.  While window shopping (to help my non-alcohol time run due to meds for a couple weeks), I saw several bottles of this and took one home.  I opened it an poured about an ounce or less in a small old fashioned glass.  THANK YOU for posting.  I am not a scotch fan and like only a few Irish, but this is the best Irish I've tasted since Cooley in its pre-Beam days released its Michael Collins single malt.  I'm down to the last inch of my last MC SM and am thrilled to find a suitable replacement. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.